PDA

View Full Version : IceNetwork season renewal notice :-(

Lara
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Just got an email. Basically, the good news is we get Lake Placid JGP live. The bad news? No GP events aside from Skate America until on demand a week later.

Presumably Universal Sports got the live online rights for the rest of the GP. Which would be ok, if they hadn't instituted a new policy where full events online are ONLY available to their TV channel subscribers. Which of course isn't an option to anyone not on DirecTV or Dish Network.

Suffice it to say I'm ticked off. It looks like many of us will be waiting to see the GP next fall. :mad:

oleada
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Ugh. That's really upsetting.
I guess I will be canceling my IceNetwork subscription and sticking with the Russian TvTeka one or something.

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
what? You can't just sign up for Universal Sports online?

Lara
08-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I was so ticked I posted in the wrong board. :o Reposted in Great Skate Debate, mods feel free to lock this.

harekrishna43
08-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Lara - I didn't even read the email carefully after noticing the date they would auto bill my credit card.

The whole deal with Universal Sports is so frustrating - I can't imagine there are more Dish/Direct TV consumers than those of us with regular cable - I keep writing to Time Warner complaining but I don't think it will help.

skatesindreams
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
It's still more then those of us in the US would be able to see otherwise; aside from the help of friends from "abroad".
For $39.99, it's a bargain; and I consider it money well-spent.

Lara
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
what? You can't just sign up for Universal Sports online?

Quote from their FAQ page:
What will Authentication do to UniversalSports.com?
On July 27, 2012, all live streaming events and full event replays will only be available exclusively to DIRECTV and DISH customers with Universal Sports as part of their television package. These events will no longer be offered for sale online, but will be free to users who verify their subscriptions on our website. As future providers add Universal Sports to their channel lineup, it is likely that authenticated access to UniversalSports.com will also be granted.

:mad: :blah:

ETA - if you don't pay for IceNetwork, you don't get *any* GP it seems if you don't have Universal Sports...so I don't know that canceling is really an option either. And I don't think it's IceNetwork's fault really. Plus what will you do for US Nats?

It really sucks though. If the ISU did give Universal Sports the online rights when they're so limited in viewers then :wall: I just hope that a deal finally gets made with Comcast or Time Warner.

Jenna
08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
What a shame. I don't know if I will subscribe to IN this year..hmm, decisions, decisions.

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote from their FAQ page:
What will Authentication do to UniversalSports.com?
On July 27, 2012, all live streaming events and full event replays will only be available exclusively to DIRECTV and DISH customers with Universal Sports as part of their television package. These events will no longer be offered for sale online, but will be free to users who verify their subscriptions on our website. As future providers add Universal Sports to their channel lineup, it is likely that authenticated access to UniversalSports.com will also be granted.

:mad: :blah:

Well the issue here is the USFSA and who they are deciding to contract with, is it not? Universal Sports isn't interested in figure skating per se, just in using it to increase the number of cable providers carrying it. That's entirely reasonable on their part.

But USFSA by contracting with them exclusively is consenting to those without the right cable access or with no cable being denied online coverage. So the source of the problem is the USFSA. Is that not correct?

Lara
08-03-2012, 06:14 PM
But USFSA by contracting with them exclusively is consenting to those without the right cable access or with no cable being denied online coverage. So the source of the problem is the USFSA. Is that not correct?

It's ISU rather than USFS since IceNetwork still gets Skate America and Nats.

AxelAnnie
08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Lara - I didn't even read the email carefully after noticing the date they would auto bill my credit card.

The whole deal with Universal Sports is so frustrating - I can't imagine there are more Dish/Direct TV consumers than those of us with regular cable - I keep writing to Time Warner complaining but I don't think it will help.

Total Mess. I tried to get Direct TV to install in my office (Switch out the Comcast).......first the sales person couldn't confirm Universal Sports, now they won't call me back.

I could get it installed at my house --sort of sneak it into one of the upstairs bedrooms- but my husband would notice and then he would kill me...so I wouldn't do me any good :)

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 06:19 PM
It's ISU rather than USFS since IceNetwork still gets Skate America and Nats.

Oh :o

Dang the ISU!

SHARPIE
08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Locked cos as noted there is a thread in GSD.