PDA

View Full Version : Your Local Olympic Coverage - Gold, Silver, Bronze or lead.

Pages : [1] 2

A.H.Black
08-03-2012, 05:34 AM
My local station gets a Gold. For the last 12 years our local station sends a team of reporters to the Olympics to cover the local athletes. They have a half-hour program every evening during the news hour just for local coverage of the Olympics. Some of stories get a bit lame, like the one about why there are no trash cans in central London, but for the most part my local station is serious about covering the Olympics.

walei
08-03-2012, 06:18 AM
In Taiwan for digital channels, triple platinum!! EVERY single event is shown on 12 channels in dual languages live with a recap channel showing the highlights of events.

A.H.Black
08-03-2012, 02:54 PM
In Taiwan for digital channels, triple platinum!! EVERY single event is shown on 12 channels in dual languages live with a recap channel showing the highlights of events.

Very cool.

beepbeep
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
In Brazil...

non cable: 1 channel (Record) that I believe manages to do worse than NBC. Has exclusive rights and doesn't show much. Spends a good while of the day showing religious programming :scream:

cable: 4 HD channels from Sportv and 2 HD channels from ESPN. Not too bad.

Braulio
08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
In Mexico

Cable TV offers 3 channels all day long with three different sports at once, full broadcast but with commercial breaks

Satellite TV, offers 6 channels with broadcast of complete events and re-runs the rest of the day, but the commentary is... well I am glad I have the opportunity to watch it on TV still

Public TV, 2 channels offering 16 hours with mixed sports, highlights

museksk8r
08-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Um, is coal an option? :shuffle:

DaiKozOda
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
In Portugal, RTP tv station owns the exclusive rights to broadcast the OG. They show the events on several of their channels.
RTP1 shows OG all night long.
RTP2 shows the events straight from 10 AM. Re-broadcasts + recorded events after midnight.
RTP I shows a bunch of events live all day long.
RTP HD (exclusive for cable) - OG 24h/7
RTP online - continuous updates (news, videos, reports...)

+ portuguese / english eurosport

I can't complain.

A.H.Black
08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Um, is coal an option? :shuffle:

I was thinking about coal. Have at it.

However, if you are in the US, please refer to your local station (not to NBC). What is you local station doing to promote the Olympics in your immediate area?

The posters so far have been referring to their countries. I don't know if they have local stations and national networks or how it works in their countries. Whatever it is it works for me.

DaiKozOda
08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I can add to my previous post that RTP is a national network.

SIC is another national network in Portugal but they only broadcast some reports on the OG during the news programs.

Karina1974
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM

However, if you are in the US, please refer to your local station (not to NBC). What is you local station doing to promote the Olympics in your immediate area?

WNYT 13, the NBC affiliate in Albany, NY does a show called "Olympic Zone" where they do updates on the local/regional athletes competing in the games. Examples: We had two guys competing in judo (their coach was an OSM in 1992); unfortunately they were both eliminated. :( They also did a story about a woman from Northern NY who was part of the first women's rowing team that won an OBM in 1976.

They also don't butt in with the late news when coverage goes a few minutes past midnight. :cheer2:

A.H.Black
08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
WNYT 13, the NBC affiliate in Albany, NY does a show called "Olympic Zone" where they do updates on the local/regional athletes competing in the games. Examples: We had two guys competing in judo (their coach was an OSM in 1992); unfortunately they were both eliminated. :( They also did a story about a woman from Northern NY who was part of the first women's rowing team that won an OBM in 1976.

They also don't butt in with the late news when coverage goes a few minutes past midnight. :cheer2:
Ours is called "Olympic Zone" as well. It must be a sort of national/local idea. Sounds like WNYT gets a Gold.

Lara
08-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Philadelphia's NBC 10 also has an Olympic Zone show. At least some of their segments seem to be nationally shown, they had a feature on Aly Raisman's parents that a poster in NY tweeted about.

Cachoo
08-04-2012, 12:57 AM
As bad as NBC is at least it isn't CBS who has no On Demand programming so you can go back and watch certain events. NBC is hearing a lot of complaints about that pastiche of evening programs and little if any live feeds. Beyond that my complaint is that we don't see all of an event. I would have liked to see more than the American and Russian girls/women in gymnastics. I wanted to see Team Canada and they didn't show one gymnast that I know of...I detest that.

Matryeshka
08-04-2012, 01:08 AM

The posters so far have been referring to their countries. I don't know if they have local stations and national networks or how it works in their countries. Whatever it is it works for me.

My NBC station gets a participation certificate. They're taking a sport everyday and making a newscaster go out and beat some local la-ti-dah person. Yesterday, the sport was boxing. It was one of the youngish, tall, skinny dudes going up against Father Wilde, the President of Loyola University. He tells the sportscaster you go to hell if you punch a priest...and then preceeded to win a victory for Catholicism by walloping him with little sissy punches.

Tonight, he raced the Jefferson Parish shariff in what looked like a kiddie pool with makeshift lanes.

It's sort of like watching Czech ice dance.

They also have someone from the Oly Gymnastic 1996 team...in men's. Tonight, he talked about the food in the Atlanta Olympic Village. There were a lot of McDonald's.

A.H.Black
08-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Does anyone's local station send reporters to the Olympics to report on local concerns?