PDA

View Full Version : NBC Day 6: Moms, Seacrest, and a Pool. Maybe a sport, if there's time.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22

Prancer
08-03-2012, 05:08 AM
That wasn't Bob Costas? It seemed weird. Like it would be his job to name them all if it was going to be a list of american winners.

No, that was definitely Al. :rolleyes:

caseyedwards
08-03-2012, 05:11 AM
No, that was definitely Al. :rolleyes:

Well then it goes on his long list of dumb things.

jeffisjeff
08-03-2012, 05:14 AM
So the NBC affiliate I get happens to be from Boston and clearly the local affiliates are taking their lead from the main network with the local news having a DRAMATIC introduction of the women's AA and Aly's HEARTBREAK of a TIEBREAK. It was really overdone.

Aly is from the Boston area (Needham?), so I think her story is particularly relevant for them. I suspect the Boston channels are giving this more attention than others - here in upstate NY, the local NBC channel has yet to mention it.

berthesghost
08-03-2012, 05:15 AM
When did the Russians' twisting form get so bad? Mustafina's is atrocious and even Komova's is visibly poor in real time. Can't believe this type of thing is tolerated in Russia of all places. Happy to see the scores reflect the deficiency.Thank you! I was starting to think it was just me.

Prancer
08-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Aly is from the Boston area (Needham?), so I think her story is particularly relevant for them. I suspect the Boston channels are giving this more attention than others - here in upstate NY, the local NBC channel has yet to mention it.

Our news is all about local Kayla Harrison and her gold in judo.

Karpenko
08-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Did you get in your "I told you so" over Gabby being the best AA Gymnast in the world?

I did! I just forgot to quote it. :) Don't like to rub it in too much but I mean.. Checkmate ;) I know talent when I see it, I just very rarely ever have it come to fruition. Now it's happened two Olympic Games in a row and I've got a good chance as a fan to have my 3rd wish come true in the vault finals (but my real one was just to see her stick that baby, which she did!). I'm so happy that I think right now I could even handle a succesful Jana Bieger comeback.

genevieve
08-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Our news is all about local Kayla Harrison and her gold in judo.
We've got an ad featuring Nathan Adrian's parents, with his dad crediting the "tiger mom" - mom then says her motto was that if Nathan didn't feel like practicing, he should quit the swim team and she'd have some chores for him to do at home :P

There have also been several University of Washington grads who are participating in the Games and there have been some nice spotlights on them.

Skittl1321
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered- but Gabby is being talked about as the first African-American woman to win all-around. Can someone tell me if a black woman from another country has won? Looking at the medal lists, I can't really tell, but it seems like no one has. Seems like that is a bigger deal than just being the first African-American. Or announcers scared to say 'black'?

Scintillation
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
She's the first woman of any color to win the AA. The winners have either been Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian, or Caucasian American.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
She did not give up at all in this competition. I hope that reputation goes away because after her vault I thought she was toast and she came back with her best bars, beam and floor.

She's amazing.:)

She gave up a bit on the vault. But I never said she gave up in this competition. I said she was fabulous be her tendancy to give up had always made it hard for me to warm to her.

She showed a lot of fight yesterday and I hope she ends up being happy with what she did because she really has a lot to be proud of.

Tesla
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I've noticed that Komova tends to give up on whatever isn't going well. The vault didn't go well, so she gave up. Everything else went well, so she didn't give up on those events.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered- but Gabby is being talked about as the first African-American woman to win all-around. Can someone tell me if a black woman from another country has won? Looking at the medal lists, I can't really tell, but it seems like no one has. Seems like that is a bigger deal than just being the first African-American. Or announcers scared to say 'black'?

I think they are, actually. It was totally weird for me when people started asking if she was the first African American winner because I was like... you can name the other three American winners and you know they weren't african american so why is this a question. I think it comes from a combination of thinking it is more PC to say African American and not really thinking about the fact that the term African American is meaningless outside of the US. (I assume they don't use it in Canada?)

Erin
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Oh yeah, I know that's why there's the focus on Aly, I've been following all along. It's more just the way it's done that I found a bit ridiculous. There's also some hilarious ads about how "only we have the exclusive interview with Aly's parents". I guess I'm just used to our local news that is much more low-key about this kind of thing. (And doesn't even recognize a local guy - Mervin Tran - winning a bronze medal at Worlds :mad: )

That said, I watched the interviews with Aly and her parents and as much as her parents are really annoying during Aly's routines, they seem to have good heads on their shoulders and explains why she's so classy. No one cried wuzrobbed, they said there was a bit of confusion as to how the tie was broken, but seemed to accept the decision and be ready to move on to EF. Aly herself was typically stoic, said she was still proud of herself for being one of the top 4 in the world and had good words to say about Gabby and her win. And her tone of voice was exactly the same one as when she was totally excited about making the AA final :lol:

And I asked this in the AA thread but didn't get a clear answer - when are the Mag 7 on NBC? I thought it was unclear from the promo.

ioana
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM
And I asked this in the AA thread but didn't get a clear answer - when are the Mag 7 on NBC? I thought it was unclear from the promo.

It sounded like they're opening the broadcast with a documentary of sorts, so 8 pm ET? Then again, they might tell us that's coming up and go straight to The Pool for some qualifiers.

Skittl1321
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Seriously? They are using broadcast time from the actual Olympics to do a profile on Olympians from years past? I'd love to see an update of the Mag 7- but not during the very very limited time that I get to watch any current Olympics!!!