PDA

View Full Version : NBC Day 6: Moms, Seacrest, and a Pool. Maybe a sport, if there's time.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

AYS
08-03-2012, 03:40 AM
We'll console ourselves with the likelihood that Clary has already greatly depreciated his O gold earning power by unendearing himself to thousands of fans before the games even started with those quotes.

HisWeirness
08-03-2012, 03:41 AM
There's no way Clary should have been able to beat Lochte here. Something is seriously off with Ryan.
My husband (casual fan, watched some of Trials) was very confused by the result. He was like, "I thought Lochte was unbeatable."

We'll console ourselves with the likelihood that Clary has already greatly depreciated his O gold earning power by unendearing himself to thousands of fans before the games even started with those quotes.
Yup.

I wish they had showed us more coverage of Nathan's win last night. I could use some Nathan fluff.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Somebody on twitter: "Must be really stressful for Gabby Douglas and the other gymnasts to have to sit and watch swimming now before finishing their competition."

:rofl: perfect

Scintillation
08-03-2012, 03:43 AM
I think Ryan is gassed. Like the guy said, that was his 12th of 13 swims.
I was on swim team in HS and obviously I never trained at the level of these athletes, but god it can be exhausting.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 03:44 AM
My husband (casual fan) was very confused by the result. He was like, "I thought Lochte was unbeatable."

He was. Last year.

I wonder if some of it is the closeness of trials to Olympics but it's not like all of USA has been sluggish. Although it does seem like there has been underperforming from the US athletes with the biggest programs.

But still, Michael and Ryan should never have lost the 200 fly and 200 back. Even when Michael was barely trained, he never let anyone get close in that fly. And this is a bad double but Ryan's been doing this double for ever. I just don't get it. And I really don't like it.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 03:46 AM
I think Ryan is gassed. Like the guy said, that was his 12th of 13 swims.
I was on swim team in HS and obviously I never trained at the level of these athletes, but god it can be exhausting.

Yeah, but the thing is he did 12 of those swims in Shanghai and won 5 Golds. And he did 12 of them in Rome and did really well. Hell, I'm pretty sure he did more in Beijing and as of this moment (and I don't know the results of the IM), he was better there.

DaveRocks
08-03-2012, 03:46 AM
Let me clarify on swimming: I totally believe they should show all the finals in swimming. I can do without a lot of the semis--especially some of the ones they've show that have had no Americans and/or no medal favorites--at the expense of showing other sports.

I really wish they'd be *less* American-centric. Showing more races, more sports in which Americans aren't necessarily contenders paints a much better picture of what's going on in London.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 03:49 AM
I really wish they'd be *less* American-centric. Showing more races, more sports in which Americans aren't necessarily contenders paints a much better picture of what's going on in London.

Sure but even I, a massive swimming lover, think that it would be much more interesting to show non-americans in gymnastics finals than non-americans in swimming semi-finals.

Fridge_Break
08-03-2012, 03:50 AM
:blah: Tyler Clary.

Scintillation
08-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Yeah, but the thing is he did 12 of those swims in Shanghai and won 5 Golds. And he did 12 of them in Rome and did really well. Hell, I'm pretty sure he did more in Beijing and as of this moment (and I don't know the results of the IM), he was better there.

It could just be the pressure of expectations getting to him too. I don't know, only Ryan knows.

AYS
08-03-2012, 03:52 AM
It could just be the pressure of expectations getting to him too.
^^^ This. The media blitz for Lochte was about 10x more than it was for Michael for this Olympics, as far as I could see, certainly in commercials I saw leading up to the games. It's a lot of pressure.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 03:53 AM
It could just be the pressure of expectations getting to him too. I don't know, only Ryan knows.

But I WANT TO KNOW! It's depressing the crap out of me and I'd like there to be a reason! :stops feet like a child who can't understand that not everything has an easy explanation:

Matryeshka
08-03-2012, 03:53 AM
That's true DaveRocks. I remember in years past, they would do great pieces on non-Americans. Thorpedo. Nemov. Hell, they practically had the audience rooting for the non-American, even if there was one in the competition! I still remember the fluff pieces they did on that Italian Lothario skier. We got great Khorkhina fluff. And Hoggenhottie, and that Russian diver in springboard who used to get a lot attention in the past but not in this one.

Someone unexpected and remotely telegenic won, NBC and ABC RUSHED to get fluff on them.

london_calling
08-03-2012, 03:54 AM
The pressure for Michael seemed to grow as the 2008 Olympics went on (especially after that relay win everyone expected them to lose) whereas the immense pressure seemed to be on Lochte from the start of these games.

AYS
08-03-2012, 03:56 AM
The pressure for Michael seemed to grow as the 2008 Olympics went on (especially after that relay win everyone expected them to lose) whereas the immense pressure seemed to be on Lochte from the start of these games.
No, there was immense hype/pressure on Michael from the start, before the start for Beijing. The. pressure necessarily grew because with each one, he was one closer, but it was huge along.