PDA

View Full Version : A Proposal for Calculating Medal Standings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

jeffisjeff
08-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Only once the Olympics are over can we determine the proper weights.

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't know, I'm kind of inclined to dis pewter. :lol:

I'm totally for the Olympic spirit, its participating that matters, all these athletes are awesome etc. And I think Country medal standings are just a sidelight. Everyone likes to see their compatriots win, but its not about US beating China in the medal count, at least it shouldn't be. I was totally excited about Gabby Douglas being from Virginia, for no particular reason! :lol: But it gave me something to hang onto.

All the Olympic athletes are huge winners as far as I'm concerned. But I do think that the one who does the best should get recognition. I'm not going to dis gold, anymore than bronze or silver. :D

wickedwitch
08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
There are never any medalists from DC. So we just pretend that athletes from Virginia and Maryland are ours.

jeffisjeff
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Medal standings always remind me of the Cold War for some reason. :lol:

I'm a proud homer when it comes to the Olympics (except in a few sports), but I really don't care about the medal standings.

Prancer
08-03-2012, 10:29 PM
There are never any medalists from DC. So we just pretend that athletes from Virginia and Maryland are ours.

You are the Azerbaijan of the US.

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Medal standings always remind me of the Cold War for some reason. :lol:

Ah yeah, there's a reason for that. It actually is kind of :eek: to me that now that there's no more USA vs USSR, its USA vs China. :yikes: Let's all share all the medals instead... :saint:

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
You are the Azerbaijan of the US.

Now wait a minute, Ralph Waldo Prancer. :P I'm sure there have been Olympic athletes from the District of Columbia! And besides we're not some funny named out of the way place. :drama:

maatTheViking
08-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Do tell. :watch:

Legend has it, when Valdemar II was 'Christening' the Estonians on orders of the Pope, during the Battle of Talinn in 1219 the battle was going badly. However, since God favored the Danes (given they were partaking in 'converting' the heatherns with the sword, I suppose), the Danish flag dropped from the heavens, and spurred the Danes to victory.

So in short: The Danish flag is gift from God!

more here: wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Denmark#Legendary_origin)

In general Danish people are quite fond of their flag, and proud of it, though most of us are not actively Christian :). The flag must be burned if it touches the ground, and it can only be flown from sun-up to sun-down (unless you have a giant lamp on it).
There are all sort of rules and regulations about the size of the flag, and the size realtions. There are also proper sizes of flags to your flagpole :P.

These are more customs than actual law, but almost everyone would follow them.

The Danes were for some time not permitted to use the flags for personal use, but that was granted in 1854. Since then the flag is very much the 'property of the people' so to speak, more than the state.
Most people have a flag pole in their backyard, and you fly it not only on national holidays but any joyouss occation, such as a birthday or when the weather is nice :). When I go back to Denmark, and on a nice summer day see the flags on the wind everywhere - I miss home a lot.

(how is that for long winded thread drift!)

skatingfan5
08-03-2012, 10:34 PM
It seems that there is another BIG SKANDAL (http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/03/london_olympics_medal_ceremony_why_do_bronze_and_s ilver_medalists_stand_at_the_same_height_on_the_po dium_.html) at these here Lunnon 'Lympics -- the silver and bronze medal podiums ARE THE SAME HEIGHT! <sarcasm on>Just goes to show that GOLD is all that matters -- silver and bronze are both also-rans and there's not much difference between them -- silver gets no respect at all!</sarcasm>

On further thinking about the relative worth of the GOLD medal vs. all the others, I think that the GOLD medal should be at least the size of a saucer (if not a dinner plate), the silver can be the size of a poker chip, and the bronze the size of an antacid tablet. :P

milanessa
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Only once the Olympics are over can we determine the proper weights.

Yep. Then we can manipulate the medal weights to put the US in first place. That's where we belong. :drama:

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Hey someone else from MARYLAND won a gold. I gotta go to the mts, someone update the State rankings for me. Someone? Anyone? :saint:

skatingfan5
08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Yep. Then we can manipulate the medal weights to put the US in first place. That's where we belong. :drama:That's the proper and SCIENTIFIC method, innit? Gather all the data, then fudge analyze, then skew interpret, then publish the results! Of course, I suppose there really should be a hypothesis stated at the outset as to what the correct weighting should be in order to test it. :shuffle:

Prancer
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm sure there have been Olympic athletes from the District of Columbia! And besides we're not some funny named out of the way place. :drama:

There are athletes from Azerbaijan, too. I've seen them in the Winter Olympics.

the bronze the size of an antacid tablet. :P

With a bottle of Tums, to help the loser swallow the bile of utter defeat.

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 10:45 PM
There are athletes from Azerbaijan, too. I've seen them in the Winter Olympics.

That wasn't my point! :drama:

Prancer
08-03-2012, 10:48 PM
That wasn't my point! :drama:

Oh.

Well, "District of Columbia" does have a nice, Anglo-Saxon ring to it, unlike, say, Wapakoneta. So I guess you do have a point about the name. And DC is easy enough to find on the map if you aren't geographically challenged (but we're AMERICAN, you know, so that's not a given), so I guess you have a point about it not being out of the way.