PDA

View Full Version : A Proposal for Calculating Medal Standings

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm interested that you did this, Really, because i was thinking about it the other day during a medal table depate. It does seem unfair to count a gold the same as a bronze but it also seems unfair to discount all medals other than Gold. Sure, the IOC has an official system and that is great for them, but I was definitely thinking that a weighted average would be more interesting to look at in terms of how each country is doing!

liv
08-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Until this morning I thought Canada used the IOC (european) way until I saw them rank the US as ahead of China even though they had the same gold. I am crushed. Once again we follow the States :(

milanessa
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I am crushed. Once again we follow the States :(

Maybe not. Maybe we're just on the same page. ;)

Prancer
08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I think both tables are interesting. But the fact that the US does it differently from the IOC makes me laugh, kind of like how ice network has its own rankings separate from the real world rankings. I mean- why?

US newspapers were the first to start keeping track of medal counts and that's how they did it. It's our tradition and the way we were doing it long before anyone else did. This is, of course, because we are competitive bastards; keeping track of medals was seen as counter to the true spirit of the Games and was seen as vulgar--until everyone else started keeping track, and now there is apparently a competition regarding how medals are counted, too.

But medal tables are pretty pointless. You don't get a prize at the end for being the winning country.

Ah, but you get bragging rights--or not. Very important.

The IOC, by the way, tabulates medals by gold first, but does not endorse any particular ranking method. Every country is allowed to do the count however it likes. Arguing that "everyone" does it one way and that makes it the right way is a bandwagon fallacy, so I am sure no one will use that one again, right? :saint:

ioana
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Taking into account weighted medals sounds like a reasonable idea to me, Really. Which is probably why it won't happen any time soon :P.

As for the whole European vs. IOC perception, I think it goes back to the fact that the IOC started out in France and the Olympics were at first a largely European affair. Not to mention it took a while and quite a few transportation improvements to have all the countries we see now attend the Games. Maybe thatís why some people perceive the IOC as 'European.'

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Hee hee I think this is an excellent controversy!

I'd like to get into the argument but I can't seem to care about it. China and USA are doing great, that's how I see it! :D

And I'm loving Virginia's Gold medal! :cheer:

Anyone what to do a USA-only ranking by state? :saint:

jeffisjeff
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
This is, of course, because we are competitive bastards; keeping track of medals was seen as counter to the true spirit of the Games and was seen as vulgar--until everyone else started keeping track, and now there is apparently a competition regarding how medals are counted, too.

:rofl:

Because I am a bit weird, I actually find the question of how the medal results should be aggregated to declare a single overall "winner" to be an interesting theoretical question. A long time ago, I studied voting theory, which considers how individual preferences for candidates should be aggregated to select a winner, and there are some similarities. Of course, what we know from voting theory is that there is no perfect voting system, all systems are flawed in some way. So I suspect the same is true for the question of aggregating medal counts.

Norlite
08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Until this morning I thought Canada used the IOC (european) way until I saw them rank the US as ahead of China even though they had the same gold. I am crushed. Once again we follow the States :(

Where did you see that? Id like to see some official Canada ranking.

I know CTV does it but theyre not official, plus I'm sure they have some other agendas (financial) plus I'm convinced they're idiots.

. It does seem unfair to count a gold the same as a bronze but it also seems unfair to discount all medals other than Gold.

It does. But probably explains a little bit why we see some many athletes crying and so upset when they attain a remarkable silver instead of gold. The IOC is telling them they've failed in a way.

A.H.Black
08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Now will someone figure out a way for the team sports medals to get more credit.

17 days of competition vs 17 minutes of competition. I know the 17 minutes takes the same amount of work and preparation and I have no objection to people being able to win tons of individual medals; in fact I love that part. I just wish the team players got the same sort of advantage.

JanetB
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Where did you see that? Id like to see some official Canada ranking.

I know CTV does it but theyre not official, plus I'm sure they have some other agendas (financial) plus I'm convinced they're idiots.

It does. But probably explains a little bit why we see some many athletes crying and so upset when they attain a remarkable silver instead of gold. The IOC is telling them they've failed in a way.

CBC is also using the "US method" of counting medals.

Prancer
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I know CTV does it but theyre not official

I repeat--there is no official medal count:

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not recognise global ranking per country;

That's because:

The Olympic Charter, Chapter 1, section 6 states that: The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries Ö

http://bostinno.com/2012/08/02/olympic-medal-count-tally-day-5-standings/#ss__195681_1_0__ss

Count 'em however you want to, Canada!

milanessa
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Anyone what to do a USA-only ranking by state? :saint:

Nah, but I'm pretty sure most states talk up "their" medalists. I know we've been hearing a lot about Lochte in central Florida. :D

Prancer
08-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Nah, but I'm pretty sure most states talk up "their" medalists. I know we've been hearing a lot about Lochte in central Florida. :D

What about athletes who are from one state but train in another?

I mean, if you do that with countries, you still compete for ONE country, but states.....

We should let olympic tackle this one--she's appropriately named and in need of something interesting to do. :saint:

BlueRidge
08-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I already thought of that. Definitely give the medal to both the state the athlete is from and where he/she trains.

I might try my hand at coming up with the ranking. Its way more interesting than by country! :D

Prancer
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I already thought of that. Definitely give the medal to both the state the athlete is from and where he/she trains.

What if the athlete moved for training? :saint: And hasn't decided where to go after the Olys?

Or what if the athlete has hopped states while competing in multiple Olys?

I might try my hand at coming up with the ranking. Its way more interesting than by country! :D

Thou art a worthier soul than I.