PDA

View Full Version : Make no mistake: Weir is serious about winning

Pages : [1] 2

PinkFeathers
08-02-2012, 11:52 PM
New article from Lynn Rutherford. Details programs, his plans for the season and some funny tidbits.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120801&content_id=35935464&vkey=ice_news

judiz
08-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Glad to hear his team has finally addressed the issue of transitions in Johnny's programs, can't wait to see them.

Triple Butz
08-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Glad to hear his team has finally addressed the issue of transitions in Johnny's programs, can't wait to see them.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that. Hope it's true! I'd much rather see a program full of interest from Johnny than one with a quad. Crossing my fingers for both, though!

judiz
08-03-2012, 02:19 AM
I'm seeing Johnny skate at the Ice House in two weeks, I hope he does one of his competitive programs

caseyedwards
08-03-2012, 02:42 AM
He needs to talk about transitions after Joe Inman's 3 at US nationals 2010. He did not recieve the 2 5's of Plushenko at the Olympics but it was only 1st place Plushenko and then 20th place Ukraine's skater who was next in line for 5's in Vancouver. So he needs to do that and talk about it just like Plushenko is. Transitions matterd more than not doing a quad. The abolition of quads from skaters programs was fine and being recommended to all skaters. The most COP savvy thing Weir did was not do any quads at the Olympics. The Anti-Lysacek revisions to the scoring code after Vancouver made them return and more quads were done by the top 5 in 2012 worlds than were done in the entire 2010 Olympics by 24 skaters. His quad at 2008 worlds was labeled underrotated and maybe wouldn't be now. There is not the extreme punishment for trying quads there was before. Without the extreme punishment and encouragement by all coaches and the system not to do quads I am sure Weir could return with good practice type quads he always displayed.

Japanfan
08-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I kind of doubt that Weir or any of the other current group of skaters attempting a come-back are serious about losing.

Ziggy
08-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds good although the fact it was him and Galina choreographing the programs does make me a little concerned. :P

olympic
08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Encouraged by most of what I read here: He's reclaimed all his triples from the 3x-3t on down. I like his focus on Quads as wells as transitions.

I am concerned he's still got one foot in the entertainment industry. I think this may have distracted him in the last olympic cycle.

BTW, is he scheduled to compete anywhere this coming Fall? What is his road to Nationals??

Sylvia
08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
BTW, is he scheduled to compete anywhere this coming Fall? What is his road to Nationals??
The article mentions that "he hopes to test his programs at Finlandia Trophy in early October" (if he is assigned to that Senior B, it should give him a bye through Regionals in October) and his 2 Grand Prix assignments -- Rostelecom Cup and TEB -- taking place in consecutive weeks in November should give him a bye through Eastern Sectionals to 2013 Nationals.

judgejudy27
08-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I wish him luck but I will be amazed if he can even get to the top in the U.S ever again, never mind at the World level.

Triple Butz
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Sounds good although the fact it was him and Galina choreographing the programs does make me a little concerned. :P

I worried about that, too at first. Then I remembered his work with Wilson and it wasn't all that much better, so who knows what they'll come up with. I've never much liked a FP by Galina, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Jaana
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
WOW, he will be doing Finlandia Trophy the second time... Welcome to Finland, Johnny!

Sylvia
08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
The Finlandia Trophy assignment is not yet official, AFAIK.

olympic
08-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I wish him luck but I will be amazed if he can even get to the top in the U.S ever again, never mind at the World level.

Considering the state of US men, though, it's possible (even if I wouldn't want to bet the farm on Johnny yet). We have to wait and see if any of the US talent gets consistent on the international level.

Ziggy
08-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I worried about that, too at first. Then I remembered his work with Wilson and it wasn't all that much better, so who knows what they'll come up with. I've never much liked a FP by Galina, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Well, Wilson's programs usually suck. ;)

And I guess Johnny and Galina probably took out most of the choreography. :P