PDA

View Full Version : Taking a vacation by yourself

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

magnolia
08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
You mean working on organic farms? Or is woofing where you set a hound dog loose to track down a lesser gay?

Nary a greater gay, a lesser gay, no, not even a less than lesser gay is hounded in woofing.

There are WWOOF organizations that offer info on farms that participate in this scheme.

skatefan
08-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I'm seriously considering taking a vacation by myself, I really need to take my mind away from work and it's been a long time since I've had a real vacation, my family stopped having them when I was in my teens and after that it never really happened (lack of money, company, you name it).

What are your experiences in this regard? Where in Europe would you go? What would you avoid?

Let's see if I actually get to do it and don't chicken out as usual. ;)
If you fancy a month or so travelling the east coast of Australia you could hook up with my daughter who will be setting off on her own shortly! I am a tad :shuffle: about her doing this alone but then again that's me with my anxious parent hat on :lol: She is currently in Wirrabara aiming for Melbourne/Sydney/Canberra/Brisbane/Whitsunday Island/Great Barrier Reef and lots of stops on the way :)

PrincessLeppard
08-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I've been all over Europe alone and never really had any issues. Since the only person I can travel with and not kill is my sister, and she can't always go with me, I went alone quite a bit.

I noticed that some people said they didn't like the evenings, but what I would do is go find a nice cafe (I don't have problems eating alone) and write in my journal or write postcards. It's a nice way to wind down the day, especially if you've been moving all day.

I also like hostels and B&Bs; you can meet other solo travelers if you do want to eat dinner or do a day trip with someone else.

Go, and have fun. :)

Nan
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I noticed that some people said they didn't like the evenings, but what I would do is go find a nice cafe (I don't have problems eating alone) and write in my journal or write postcards. It's a nice way to wind down the day, especially if you've been moving all day.

This is a great idea. :)

olympic
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Back when I was in the US Army, I was stationed in Germany and would travel solo quite often. It was a wonderful experience.

My favorite spot to go by myself was Paris. There was something magical about seeing the city for the first time all by myself. It allowed me to really soak it all in and be completely spontaneous because I was not distracted by companions.

Amsterdam was another place that was just completely charming. Although I was there with a close friend, I could see being there solo and having a fantastic experience.

snoopy
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Heh. I am always worried about theft wrt my mom because she carries this big bag with a long strap and never latches it. She was in Barcelona with that bag and one young woman attempted to distract her while another grabbed the bag. My 65 yo, 4'9" mom grabbed the bag and the women's arm and told her if she didn't let go, "I'll kill you". The woman gasped and ran like hell. I worried less about my mom after that.

Wiery
08-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Istanbul. :swoon: My first husband was Turkish, so we spent some time there. I went about quite a bit by myself, always dressed in locally purchased shoes and clothing, and covered my head with a scarf. Not necessary for a female to cover the head (1980s, things might have changed since then), but my Turkish mother-in-law said that I would be treated with respect that way. It really helped to be able to speak a few words and understand quite a bit too. As Allezfred said, shagging a native really helps one learn the language. :D

Go! I hope you have a wonderful time!

IceAlisa
08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I've only done that once and absolutely loved it. I went to the UK and stayed with a friend. Went about London on my own, traveled to Bath, etc. and took the friend out for dinner and a play to thank for the hospitality. Had a great time.

joeperryfan
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies :)

I need to get off the computer now, busy day! But I'll pop by tomorrow to discuss your great ideas. Thanks again, there's nothing like FSUers to cheer you up!

:)

orbitz
08-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Istanbul. :swoon: My first husband was Turkish, so we spent some time there.

Are you Turkish, Wiery? I visited Turkey twice last year. Turkish men are definitely HOT :hat1:.

cruisin
08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Barcelona was beautiful and I had some incredible experiences there, but the language barrier was tougher than I'd expected,

I'm surprised you had a problem with language in Barcelona. We found that most people spoke English. Actually, I'm fairly fluent in Spanish and I found that they were much better with understanding English than Spanish :lol:. While I know the officia language of Barcelona is Catalan, but they do speak Castilian, they just don't want to :lol:.

As far as pick pockets, the worst place that I found with that was Rome.

Place I felt safest alone, even at night - Florence.

GarrAarghHrumph
08-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi,

I'm seriously considering taking a vacation by myself, I really need to take my mind away from work and it's been a long time since I've had a real vacation, my family stopped having them when I was in my teens and after that it never really happened (lack of money, company, you name it).

What are your experiences in this regard? Where in Europe would you go? What would you avoid?

Let's see if I actually get to do it and don't chicken out as usual. ;)

I travel internationally by myself. When I go, I base where I go on personal interest, cost of flights, and time to get there, because I normally only go for what's basically a long weekend. Thus I also prefer to go to a location with a ton to do and good public transit, because I don't have time to go from city to city - I'd prefer to stay put; and I prefer not to drive overseas. I don't even like to drive in the US, never mind elsewhere! I also prefer places/cultures where women travelling solo aren't overly up for grabs re: being constantly hit on and etc.

It doesn't matter where I've been, though - what's on your hot list? Where would you really like to go? How much time will you have, and will that need to limit your choices of location in terms of condensing travel time?

GarrAarghHrumph
08-04-2012, 02:45 AM
I really like travelling on my own. I have done lots of driving holidays on my own. Downside is you still pretty much pay the same for accommodation as if you were with someone.

I save a bit of money by staying in single rooms, which seem pretty available in Europe. These rooms fit only one twin bed, but I do get those with a small kitchenette, so I can eat in when I want to, saving money there as well.

The worst parts are the evenings. During the day it's great because you're running all over doing all the things you want to do and being entertained/distracted and breakfast and lunch can be done solo without feeling a bit odd. But come twilight the loneliness sets in and going out to dinner and trying to sample some of the finer foods alone can get you feeling self-conscious. I've found that if I visit people that's better, as they're busy during the day with work or whatever but you have someone to talk to/dine with in the evenings so it's win/win.

It also depends on who you are. In europe I've been to madrid, berlin, rome and london alone and london was by far the worst.. I got so so lonely. But a friend who's much more outgoing than I also went there alone and had the time of this life, meeting all sorts of people and partying hearty.

I'm not a big partier, and even at home, my evenings tend to be quiet. Overseas, I tend to spend the time after dark watching local tv, which I really enjoy (ask me about Polish Idol!), reading, things like that. I also tend to eat in at night - I'll get takeout somewhere, and eat in my room. That, to me, is enjoyable and my preference. I eat out for lunch, eat in for dinner as I wind down and plan the next day.

berthesghost
08-04-2012, 03:14 AM
ask me about Polish idol! :lol: we still talk about "Magyar star" from 04 euros in Budapest.

vesperholly
08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Here are some entries about traveling solo from one of my favorite bloggers, CrazyAuntPurl:

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/02/can_you_single_1.php
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/02/last_one_promis.php
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/02/i_went_to_rome.php
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/12/london_calling.php
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2009/07/temptation_isla.php

Her blog about Rome was so similar to my experience (FLOVED IT except I did not go solo, went with BFF), and I happened to go to Italy just a few months after she went.