PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympics - Day Six - General Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Lorac
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Disastor for the brits at the velodrome - Victoria Pendleton and Jess Varnish are DQ'ed from the womens team sprint after a messed up change over - after qualifying for the final in tremendous form :(. Heartbreaking for Jess Varnish as that was her only event - Vicky has more events and from the comments of the commentators it was Vicky's error!!! From going from a guaranteed medal to nothing is so tough!!

liv
08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Guaranteed medal to nothing is tough.
Wills and Kate in the house, of course...

milanessa
08-02-2012, 05:55 PM
but historic day for us, first time two women had stood up in the same podium at an Olympics and first medals ever in archery

Now we have 3 silvers and a bronze, fantastic Olympics!

Go, go Mexico! :respec:

I think the key for us is to get some more teams disqualified ;)

:rofl:

Braulio
08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow China won first the team sprint against the germans but the decision is overturned, the germans take the gold!

The chinese are taking medals everywhere!!

Lorac
08-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Wow China won first the team sprint against the germans but the decision is overturned, the germans take the gold!

The chinese are taking medals everywhere!!

Err - not if it is taken away ;) Made the same error the Brits made - they are really coming down hard on those change overs - two in the same event to deprive two teams of medals!!!

ETA: They get a silver?!?! If GB are DQ'ed and not allowed to race for any medal how do the Chinese get a medal?! Makes zero sense!!!

C_T_T_
08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Err - not if it is taken away ;) Made the same error the Brits made - they are really coming down hard on those change overs - two in the same event to deprive two teams of medals!!!

ETA: They get a silver?!?! If GB are DQ'ed and not allowed to race for any medal how do the Chinese get a medal?! Makes zero sense!!!

GB weren't disqualified, they just lost the race and hadn't set a time so they when out early on. The Chinese had already got into the gold/silver race so when they lost race the lowest they could end up with was silver.

Erin
08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I luuurves watching rowing, it looks so peaceful when you know it must really HURT.

I actually think that as contradictory as it sounds, you're right on both counts. When I quit gymnastics, I decided rowing was going to be my new sport and took it up for a year (not realizing that given my size, I was probably better suited to be the cox :lol:) and even when I was in massive pain and there was someone shouting at me, there was a certain peace to being out on the water and gliding along.

Lorac
08-02-2012, 06:53 PM
GB weren't disqualified, they just lost the race and hadn't set a time so they when out early on. The Chinese had already got into the gold/silver race so when they lost race the lowest they could end up with was silver.

The british girls were DQ'ed - they had made it to the final and then they were DQ'ed prior to the final due to the same error made in their heat as the Chinese made in the final!!!

os168
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
GOLD!!!! SIR CHRIS HOY!!!!!

Lorac
08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Yyyyeeesss - Sir Chris and the boys have just smashed the WR in winning gold in the team pursuit sprint final - way to go boys - gold #5 of the games for team GB :respec:

os168
08-02-2012, 07:09 PM

os168
08-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Team GB is ranked 5 on the medal tables!!! YESS about bl**dy time TOO!!

What a boost, let's make it at least a +6 Come on Beckie Adlinton!!! We need to beat France!!!

oleada
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
GB :cheer:

Sharapova beats Clijsters to advance to the semis; Russia guaranteed a medal as she'll be facing Maria Kirilenko.

I'm thinking it'll be a Serena-Maria-Vika podium :P

Lorac
08-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I do believe there are tears in the eyes of Chris Hoy on the podium - what a fantastic moment for them - especially the young 19 year old Philip Heinz who did an amazing first leg in his 1st Olympics :)

C_T_T_
08-02-2012, 07:35 PM
The british girls were DQ'ed - they had made it to the final and then they were DQ'ed prior to the final due to the same error made in their heat as the Chinese made in the final!!!

Ok I didn't word that very well. I meant they weren't DQ'ed from the competition overall, just from that race. Since there were 8 teams still in the competition at that point, they finished 8th. The chinese made the same mistake when there was only 2 left in the competition so they finished 2nd. :( for both teams.

:cheer: for the men!