PDA

View Full Version : The lack of grace in floor exercise routines

Pages : [1] 2 3

nubka
08-02-2012, 03:22 AM
An interesting read on the lack of grace/dance in today's gymnastic floor routines (lots of fun video clips in it, too!)

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/fivering_circus/2012/07/_2012_olympics_gymnastics_female_gymnasts_used_to_ be_fantastic_dancers_how_did_the_floor_exercise_ge t_so_graceless_.single.html

PDilemma
08-02-2012, 03:56 AM
From the article:

In the majority of routines, gymnasts are merely going through the motions, checking skills off their checklists and moving onto the next until the music stops.

This describes what so many skaters do now, too.

Jemestone
08-02-2012, 04:32 AM
I agree. I saw Ksenia M. (I believe that's is her name) floor routine during team competition as well as one of her teammates and had to stop watching. It didn't seem like anything went with the music and they had no grace what so ever.

Mind you I stopped watching gymnastics after 2002 Olympics and was a lover of the Russian gymnast's grace (esp the ones who competed in Atlanta) but not anymore :scream:

genevieve
08-02-2012, 04:55 AM
I hate that women's gymnastics uses music for floor routines. The men's routines are far more interesting because they're not trying to bring some twee version of artistry to it. They actually end up being far more artistic because they're not trying so hard.

nubka
08-02-2012, 05:13 AM
I hate that women's gymnastics uses music for floor routines. The men's routines are far more interesting because they're not trying to bring some twee version of artistry to it. They actually end up being far more artistic because they're not trying so hard.

I agree!

VIETgrlTerifa
08-02-2012, 06:27 AM
I wish men had music too, but only if Floor Exercises were like the ones in the 80s where they actually had choreography.

manhn
08-02-2012, 06:43 AM
This describes what so many skaters do now, too.

I will take a zillion Morozov programs over any floor exercise routine, man or woman.

I do disagree with the article's position that floor exercise was ever good.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't know how one can watch a Soviet routine and not think it was at least good.

LilJen
08-03-2012, 12:19 AM

Heck yah!! I couldn't agree more.

PDilemma
08-03-2012, 02:56 AM

Agreed.

I have never really associated gymnastics, men's or women's, with dance or artistry. It's about acrobatics. Nice lines and positions are good, but I don't expect choreography, relating to the music, presenting a story, etc...

HisWeirness
08-03-2012, 03:06 AM
I thought the Polish woman today in the AA competition had some artistry/grace on floor.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-03-2012, 03:08 AM
This thread depresses me.

caseyedwards
08-03-2012, 03:12 AM
There is just barely any continuity of motion.

Jemestone
08-03-2012, 05:12 AM
I thought the Polish woman today in the AA competition had some artistry/grace on floor.

Yeah too bad NBC didn't show it. The five they did showed didn't impress me.

jlai
08-03-2012, 05:17 AM
More than "grace" (whatever it is supposed to be) I miss that beautiful rhythm that used to exist with these gymnastic routines (esp beam), and the details to perfect every move, including what's in between the tricks (even the one step back getting ready to tumble). Now the routines are so long and hard; gymnasts are focused on their tricks and the gymnasts don't always pay attention to the little stuff between the big tricks.

Carly Patterson, even though she wasn't what I call graceful, had it. So did Liukin. I wish more gymnasts had that.