PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympic Games - Day Four- General Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Allskate
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
different size leads -different distances- different races

And different opponents. Lochte went up against the guy who ultimately won the individual gold. It's ridiculous to just blame the anchor whenever a team loses.

bardtoob
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Beating Lochte's time in that split is well beyond amazing and well into the realm of physically impossible. There are all kinds of reasons why men are faster in the pool than women starting with they're bigger and have more upper body strength, and men have bigger hands and feet which is the equivalent of bigger propellers. When you factor in the doping history of the Chinese team, as someone said, "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . . ".

As someone who was a competitive swimmer for 10 years, I will never believe that girl is clean, because what she did is simply is impossible. Those who are saying she might have done it clean are only doing so because her test revealed no drugs.

Maybe your duck it really a gander . . . Maybe she is a man rather than doped. Why don't they test her like they did the South African sprinter?

Phelps swimming anchor for the US - awesome! Memo to Lochte: When your team gives you the lead, the anchor's job is to keep it.

I'm still not certain why Lochte was on the team, let alone the anchor. I think the coach made a mistake . . . and I'm a Lochte fan and a former cabana, high school, and club swimmer.

Braulio
07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Anyone following the badmington skandal :eek:? I hope we'll see some footage... Apparently teams were trying their very best to lose their matches to avoid each other in the next round and might be disqualified.
And they say skating is dramatic....

what??? trying to lose to avoid each other? what is the point in that? if you lose you´re out and thats it, no matter what or at what stage of the competition

:confused:

millyskate
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
what??? trying to lose to avoid each other? what is the point in that? if you lose you´re out and thats it, no matter what or at what stage of the competition

:confused:

No, because they had pools. Teams involved are from China, Indonesia and Korea.
Neither Indonesia or China 2 wanted to face China 1 in the second round, and Korea 1 and 2 didn't want to meet in the quarter finals either. As a result, they were tossing the shuttlecock into the net or out of the court in bids to lose....
Apparently, it all went pear-shaped when China 1 lost to Denmark and the planned all-Chinese final became an impossibility unless China 2 lost to Indonesia...

According to twitter, spectators may get their money back and people may get disqualified.

An early article here: http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympics-sport/london-2012-olympics-scandal-at-badminton-as-china-and-south-korea-both-play-to-lose-7994925.html

Follow https://twitter.com/gailemms for inside news.

ETA: I think I got my facts wrong. It was China 2 v Korea and Korea v Indonesia or something.

Anita18
07-31-2012, 11:06 PM
No, because they had pools. Teams involved are from China, Indonesia and Korea.
Neither Indonesia or China 2 wanted to face China 1 in the second round, and Korea 1 and 2 didn't want to meet in the quarter finals either. As a result, they were tossing the shuttlecock into the net or out of the court in bids to lose....
Apparently, it all went pear-shaped when China 1 lost to Denmark and the planned all-Chinese final became an impossibility unless China 2 lost to Indonesia...

According to twitter, spectators may get their money back and people may get disqualified.
LMAO that's HILARIOUS. :rofl:

Cachoo
07-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Good gawd how ridiculous. Hey congrats to Mexico again! I wondered if a country would emerge to challenge China in diving one day and I think it is Mexico!

allezfred
07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Olga Korbut on the BBC when asked if she thought that this was a golden age of gymnastics she said, "No." and that the gymnasts had no personality or grace and weren't really smiling from the heart like she did. PML :rofl:

liv
07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Gotta love that Olga! Hehe, it is true, though! there are some who have a small glimmer here andd there, but in no way do I find this gymnastics era as something special.

I went back and looked at youtube and to watch Oksana Omelianchuk perform on floor was a treat compared to what we get now. She was glorious.

wickedwitch
08-01-2012, 12:18 AM
And different opponents. Lochte went up against the guy who ultimately won the individual gold. It's ridiculous to just blame the anchor whenever a team loses.I don't blame him, but Lochte had a lousy split regardless.

Garden Kitty
08-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Sarah and the Kerrs (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500875146596578&set=a.500873263263433.130985.177354988948597&type=3&l=c8b40c91b2&theater)

Dragonlady
08-01-2012, 01:59 AM
And different opponents. Lochte went up against the guy who ultimately won the individual gold. It's ridiculous to just blame the anchor whenever a team loses.

The other three guys won their legs of the relay. Lochte, whose job was simply to hold the lead he was given, didn't win his leg and he let the other guy overtake him. He very nearly lost the silver, too.

If you don't have that killer mentality, you should not be swimming anchor.

allezfred
08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years. I loved swimming anchor and not once when I swan achor did I fail to do my job.

Wow, is there anything you haven't done?

mrinalini
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow, is there anything you haven't done?

:lol:

Well, I guess she hasn't won the 200 and 400 m swimming medley at the Olympics. :P

mazzy
08-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Well, I guess she hasn't won the 200 and 400 m swimming medley at the Olympics. :P

Dragonlady might be Klochkova in disguise.:cool:

Dragonlady
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM

When I was growing up, rich kids went to the Olympics and we weren't rich. I swam with kids and against kids who did go to the Olympics and I was more than competitive with them so I have often wondered whether I could have gone to the Olympics if things had been different. We had no money for year round swimming and there were no indoor pools in the town where I lived so I was a "summer swimmer". I didn't even dream of going to the Olympics because it was never anything that I would have had the chance to do.