PDA

View Full Version : Mishkutenok and Dmitriev?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Vash01
11-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Added two more videos. :) The 1988 European Championship SP (http://youtu.be/FDdZj-YAYc8) and the 1992 Olympic Exhibition to Don Quixote (http://youtu.be/1E4qRHzWlqI)-featuring an impressive/dangerous looking spin around the 1:55 mark.
The quality of the videos are not ideal, but I don't believe either of those performances have been uploaded to youtube before. :)

I love that SP (1988 Euros)! I had never seen it before. They look so young, and Artur looks a bit shorter than what I am used to seeing.

zilam98
11-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Yes. I don't think Artur competed at Nagano, because he was disappointed with the silver at Lilehammer. Artur just enjoyed competing during that part of his life. B&S were the IT pair heading into Nagano; It was a fluke that they faltered on their last lift and that enabled D&K to skate to the gold.

didnt he win the nagano gold with kazakova?

Aussie Willy
11-24-2012, 03:48 AM
didnt he win the nagano gold with kazakova?
Yes he was definitely there and they have the souvenir to prove it.

zilam98
11-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Yes. I don't think Artur competed at Nagano, because he was disappointed with the silver at Lilehammer. Artur just enjoyed competing during that part of his life. B&S were the IT pair heading into Nagano; It was a fluke that they faltered on their last lift and that enabled D&K to skate to the gold.

i sure don't know where you get your info but get your facts straight first please before posting something like this.

Proustable
11-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Just so we're clear, orbitz was responding to my question about whether or not we think Dmitriev would compete in Nagano were he a two time OGM. He (she?) responded yes, based on the perception that Dmitriev loved to compete.

lulu
11-24-2012, 05:07 AM
I love that SP (1988 Euros)! I had never seen it before. They look so young, and Artur looks a bit shorter than what I am used to seeing.

I wish their LP from that year was online. Their 1986-1987 programs as well. In 1988 they aren't quite "there" yet, but you can already see some of the qualities in their skating-the speed, twist lift, side by side spins that would make them a great pair team. :)
The late 1980s was such an exciting time for Soviet pair skating, when you had G&G, V&V and S&M in the top three spots, with M&D, S&N,B&P and other pairs coming up the ranks. It's pretty amazing to think of how deep the pairs field was at the time-despite being 2 time European bronze medalists, and repeat champions at Skate America, M&D didn't get a chance to compete at Worlds until 1990.

zilam98
11-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Just so we're clear, orbitz was responding to my question about whether or not we think Dmitriev would compete in Nagano were he a two time OGM. He (she?) responded yes, based on the perception that Dmitriev loved to compete.

i reread that, and oh well, a matter of punctuation that skewed my perception of that reply i guess

Vash01
11-25-2012, 03:59 AM
I wish their LP from that year was online. Their 1986-1987 programs as well. In 1988 they aren't quite "there" yet, but you can already see some of the qualities in their skating-the speed, twist lift, side by side spins that would make them a great pair team. :)
The late 1980s was such an exciting time for Soviet pair skating, when you had G&G, V&V and S&M in the top three spots, with M&D, S&N,B&P and other pairs coming up the ranks. It's pretty amazing to think of how deep the pairs field was at the time-despite being 2 time European bronze medalists, and repeat champions at Skate America, M&D didn't get a chance to compete at Worlds until 1990.

I miss those days. In this SP video from the 1988 Euro SP, they already had excellent unison, extensions, and creativity. They really had it all, and if not for the tough competition in the USSR pairs field, we might have seen them compete at the 1988 worlds and/or Olympics. However, there was no way the USSR would have selected them over reigning Olympic champions V&V and 1984 Olympic bronze medallists Selezneva-Makarov (G&G were a lock, being reigning two time world champions and almost a lock for the OGM). I have always lamented not being able to see M&D skate much longer. The first time I ever saw them was at the 1988 Skate America, which they won. They were so unique, although not as polished as they became in 1991, that they were very interesting to watch, regardless of where they placed.

Minou
02-28-2013, 09:39 PM
For M&D fans, this article is 2-years old, but I haven't seen it posted.

digital.publicationprinters.com/publication/repo25/12097/69151/69151-10.pdf

(I hope the link works. I tried to make a "tinyurl," but it didn't work. It's Skating Magazine April 2011. Author article is Lois ELFMAN.)

Vash01
03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
The link did not work for me, but thanks for posting.

Sylvia
03-02-2013, 03:50 AM
For M&D fans, this article is 2-years old, but I haven't seen it posted.

digital.publicationprinters.com/publication/repo25/12097/69151/69151-10.pdf

(I hope the link works. I tried to make a "tinyurl," but it didn't work. It's Skating Magazine April 2011. Author article is Lois ELFMAN.)
Article link works now: http://digital.publicationprinters.com/publication/repo25/12097/69151/69151-10.pdf
(Natalia M's long-time student, Steven Evans, did not compete in Senior Men this season, and I assume he is now focusing on college full-time.)

LongTimeLurker
03-05-2013, 03:59 AM
Something in my foggy memory is telling me that after Natalia and Artur split that she moved to the US and briefly tried to skate pairs with a hockey player (boyfriend?).... Was that Natalia, or am I thinking of someone else? No, not "Cutting Edge", I mean in real life....

Vash01
03-05-2013, 04:42 AM
Something in my foggy memory is telling me that after Natalia and Artur split that she moved to the US and briefly tried to skate pairs with a hockey player (boyfriend?).... Was that Natalia, or am I thinking of someone else? No, not "Cutting Edge", I mean in real life....

That hockey player was her first husband. They competed in a pro competition. They could do lifts but not spins.

They divorced and she remarried.

LongTimeLurker
03-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Thank you, Vash01! Looks like I remembered the gist of it.

Vash01
03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
For the 1994 LP, I heard that their coaches had initially chosen Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake music, but M&D said they wanted to skate to Rach2, and they did great. I have wondered at times how the Swan Lake program might have looked like. I don't know what part of Swan Lake they would have skated, but Rach2 seemed so perfect for them!