PDA

View Full Version : Mishkutenok and Dmitriev?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Cherub721
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know why they turned professional right after winning the OGM in 1992? Obviously it is not unprecedented, but the last OGM, G&G, stayed in eligible competition for 2 more seasons, and V&V for an entire Olympic cycle after winning in Sarajevo.

I always figured it was because of the personal drama with him marrying Druchinina and having a child and her getting depressed.

Vash01
09-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Another question :rolleyes: Does anyone know why they turned professional right after winning the OGM in 1992? Obviously it is not unprecedented, but the last OGM, G&G, stayed in eligible competition for 2 more seasons, and V&V for an entire Olympic cycle after winning in Sarajevo.

From the tidbits I gathered from different interviews, Natalia had a mini-crisis after winning the OGM. In an interview Tamara said(paraphrasing)- she (Natalia) was sort of confused after all the success, about what to do next. I am guessing that competing in the Olympics again was far from her mind. She and Artur did not have great success as pros, and Natalia not feeling totally herself/competitive may have been part of the reason.

It seems Artur realized quickly that he really loved to compete as an eligible, so he took advantage of the reinstatement opportunity. Natalia was not ready initially but she agreed and they gave us some fabulous performances.

(responding to another poster)- I think Artur loved to compete at the eligible leve- those are the true competions, when compared with the pros, and he must have felt that there was enough left in him to compete again. Natalia was burned out and did not want to compete anymore.

lulu
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I always figured it was because of the personal drama with him marrying Druchinina and having a child and her getting depressed.

Thanks. :) I remember the UCAPs made reference to Natalia's depression, which according to the UCAPs was connected to Artur's marriage to Druchinina, but I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with them deciding to go professional, or not. I think B&P also went pro right after 1992, so perhaps it was also a career/$ choice as well. (?)

At the time, M&D did seem to have one of the more "complex" relationships outside of ice dance, of course. :P I remember watching a clip of the introduction to the pairs long program, the announcer describes G&G as the "sweethearts" B&E were described as "the kids next door" and when they described M&D, it was "she's too big, he's too unruly" or some crap like that. Which, honestly, is probably one of the reasons I like them so much. They didn't fit in a cookie cutter mode of what a pairs couple "should" be like.

What makes their 1994 Olympic performances even more amazing, is not only did they have a (by their standard) not great year as professionals, personal issues, Natalia's fall in the warm up, and I don't think many people were expecting much from them at the games. Yet, they delievered two :kickass: performances.

@ Minou, I lurve the pics of M&D and S&M, two of my all time favorite pairs. :)

Vash01
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Bechke & Petrov did better than expected at the 92 Olympics. Elena overcame her nerves and delivered two solid performances. I particularly loved their Nutcracker LP (later they made it into a technical program for a pro competition). They were never gold medal favorites, so they seized the opportunity, turned pro, wowed the audiences with their creative moves and developed into a great pro pair. (I know I am digressing from the main thread here).

Unfortunately for M&D, they were no longer the favorites to win the gold after G&G announced their intent to return in 1994. IMO they were both great pairs and it was the golden age of pairs skating.

lulu
09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Bechke & Petrov did better than expected at the 92 Olympics. Elena overcame her nerves and delivered two solid performances. I particularly loved their Nutcracker LP (later they made it into a technical program for a pro competition). They were never gold medal favorites, so they seized the opportunity, turned pro, wowed the audiences with their creative moves and developed into a great pro pair. (I know I am digressing from the main thread here).

Unfortunately for M&D, they were no longer the favorites to win the gold after G&G announced their intent to return in 1994. IMO they were both great pairs and it was the golden age of pairs skating.

Well, Elena and Artur did try-out together before he paired with Natalia, so you're not digressing too much. ;)
But yes, I loved B&P's programs that year, especially their Nutcracker LP. I just saw an excerpt of the LP from a different angle than the American broadcast (it was Russia broadcast), and Elena had the biggest smile on her face after she landed her throw. :) Talk about another skater who was able to, against all expectations, :kickass: when it really counted.

Speaking of 1992, I always felt bad for the 1992 Olympic medalists from the F.S.U. when the Olympic flag & anthem was raised in their honor. I was watching the medal ceremonies, and I don't know, but they all just looked so dejected. I'm sure they knew that the IOC flag would be raised in their honor, but I'm sure it still felt like a slap in the face at the same time. One thing that did make me smile, though, was that in the Canadian broadcast of the medal ceremony, the announcers were talking about how, according to people in the know, Dmitriev had the potential to be one of the best of all times. :) Of course, I would just modify that slightly, and also include Natalia as one of the best of all time as well.

Cherub721
09-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Well, Elena and Artur did try-out together before he paired with Natalia, so you're not digressing too much. ;)

Oh wow, I never knew that. I'm glad he ended up with Natalia and Oksana though. :)

lulu
09-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Also, I've heard references to a CanCan SP at the 1991 Euros that was scratched for a return to the dying Swan.

I've seen a clip of the 1991 Euros SP, the music isn't the "CanCan" but it's along the same vein. The program isn't in the same league as "The Swan" or "Don Quixote", but one thing about the program is that Natalia's much more extroverted in the routine than she normally is. She did a great job of selling the program. :)
After the judges told them to nix the routine, they probably could have made some modifications and turned it into a fairly decent exhibition.

Vash01
09-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Somehow I thought that M&D skated their SP to CanCan in 1989......? Their SP was not shown on our TV, so I don't know what music they skated to.

Loves_Shizuka
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I remember the interview where she burst into to tears but I thought it was at the World Pros in Landover (Dick Button's Competition). I thought it was a live interview after they didn't win (she had bursitis in her foot) and Dmitriev said right on camera that he was thinking about looking for another partner. It could have been a recorded fluff piece, but this type of drama was typical at Landover. I remember Zhulin stalking out on Usova after a romantic performance and leaving her alone to get their scores. Nancy Kerrigan made her infamous statement about getting paid the same whether she skated well or not and she'd rather be a mother anyway. Usova/Platov walking past Gritschuk/Zhulin to embrace Punsalan/Swallow. Gritschuk/Zhulin skating to "Smooth Operator".

:cheer2: :rofl:

Amazing.

Loves_Shizuka
09-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I can safely say that M/D are one of my all-time favourites. There's been no-one like them before or since IMO. Funnily enough, my mother is also a big M/D fan - twenty years later and with basically no skating knowledge :lol: She only watches when I force her to, but she often says to me, "what are that pair up to, the Russian one with short hair who was really flexible?" :lol: All this after only seeing their 94 LP. Pretty impressive to convert someone into an uber just like that ;)

(For the record, Rahkamo/Kokko had the same effect on her!)

lulu
09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
I can safely say that M/D are one of my all-time favourites. There's been no-one like them before or since IMO. Funnily enough, my mother is also a big M/D fan - twenty years later and with basically no skating knowledge :lol: She only watches when I force her to, but she often says to me, "what are that pair up to, the Russian one with short hair who was really flexible?" :lol: All this after only seeing their 94 LP. Pretty impressive to convert someone into an uber just like that ;)

Awww, I love your mom. :lol: :cheer2:

I seriously think Natalia M. is one of the most underrated pairs skaters. Her spirals were simply:swoon:

Finnice
09-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Say hello to you mom!
I really fell in love again with pairs skating watching M/D.
Mr. Finnice called him "The Thigh Man":o.

lulu
11-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Some M&D videos: :cheer:
1989 European Championships-Short Program (http://youtu.be/jMKZ7H_fWiA)
1990 Tour of Champions Ex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK4KyU_CkDA&feature=share&list=ULQK4KyU_CkDA)
1995 St. Petersburg Exhibition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehn-0HjGdcY&feature=share&list=ULEhn-0HjGdcY), skating to Prelude.

They performed the same short program for the 1987-1988 season as well, but I've never seen the 1987-1988 LP. Does anyone know what music they skated to that season?

love_skate2011
11-23-2012, 07:01 PM
speaking of Dmitriev, I can't even recognize how he looks like now :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0naByEDZP4

lulu
11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Added two more videos. :) The 1988 European Championship SP (http://youtu.be/FDdZj-YAYc8) and the 1992 Olympic Exhibition to Don Quixote (http://youtu.be/1E4qRHzWlqI)-featuring an impressive/dangerous looking spin around the 1:55 mark.
The quality of the videos are not ideal, but I don't believe either of those performances have been uploaded to youtube before. :)