PDA

View Full Version : Men's Gymnastics Team Final...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53

Cyn
07-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Are you guys all aware that by installing the free "Expat Shield" software on your computer (a matter of 30 seconds), you can watch wonderful BBC coverage? :shuffle:
The replay of yesterday's competition is available as well.

Do you know if Expat Shield is compatible with Macs?

Anita18
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Also, Unotelly.com is running a free Olympics proxy promo! :cheer:

Jimena
07-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Are you guys all aware that by installing the free "Expat Shield" software on your computer (a matter of 30 seconds), you can watch wonderful BBC coverage? :shuffle:
The replay of yesterday's competition is available as well.

Do you have a link? I googled it and a few links came up and I don't want to download the wrong thing...

jlai
07-31-2012, 01:37 PM
What bothered me was they didnt even show the injured Japanese gymnast and tell us how he was doing

suep1963
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
That--yes. By that time, there should have been an update.

tchaikovsky_177
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Well, China deserves their win. I wish they'd bring back the pretty lines and form more though.

But I must say this. The Chinese team (who used to be so stretched and graceful) used to have me nervousing because they always looked so fragile as a team by the Olympics, causing them to lose 1996 and other team golds. But they really showed some mental toughness these days. I mean, beating Japan on their home turf at last year's world and then repeating as gold medalist here.

So true. This is not the first time the Chinese men falter in prelims, only to deliver when it mattered in the finals. Now if only the Chinese women had their mentality... I know, I know, one can always dream :lol:

galaxygirl
07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Do you have a link? I googled it and a few links came up and I don't want to download the wrong thing...

One of the results should be from cnet.com. Use that one.

LilJen
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Live stream here, no comments, good quality:
http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/104/v-430464.html

WARNING: The software that I had to install when I went to this site TOTALLY KILLED my computer!! It opened the floodgates for all kinds of malware. . . dh had to just tell my computer to forget that day and go back to the way it was a day earlier. . .

gingercrush
08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Well that was a bit of a downer. But yay for China and Great Britain. Japan were lucky in that difficulty rewarded outdoes execution. I'm glad they won silver but not with those performances. Crushing for Ukraine but not Japans fault. Also Russians were lovely but disappointed they could not medal.

We had Shannon Miller again. She was brilliant but I haven't been overly impressed with how many routines are being missed. There was no way of seeing why the Americans went downhill we never saw the falls nor Russia except for Vault. I hope the Russians have a stellar AA and excel in the event finals. Their gymnastics is impressive.

Haven't watched womens yet so kinda dangerous even entering any thread but hopefully the results were good and the coverage better. And I know for sure once these Olympics are over I'm going to check out all the gymnastics again.

bardtoob
08-01-2012, 07:59 AM
^ love Shannon, really love Shannon, but today was something new.

GarrAarghHrumph
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I have a feeling Uchimura will get a Karma in AA or with judges at least :shuffle:

I hope not. I expect not. None of this was Uchimura's fault. And according to the gymnastics code of points, if you get your handstand up to a certain angle - I think it's 60 degrees - it's a handstand, no matter how crappy it is. So if the Japanese team's protest was that this was a handstand that had not been counted, and on review it was shown that Uchimura did hit that angle no matter how bad looking, then there you go - but none of it was Uchimura's fault.

museksk8r
08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
And according to the gymnastics code of points, if you get your handstand up to a certain angle - I think it's 60 degrees - it's a handstand, no matter how crappy it is.

It's official then. Form does need to be counted and valued more in gymnastics. That's the worst example of a "handstand" I've EVER seen and shouldn't have been acceptable, IMO!

GarrAarghHrumph
08-01-2012, 07:00 PM
They did not argue that he did a crappy dismount. Fact is, whatever he did, it was terrible. As I understand it, the Japanese protest involved whether this was a dismount or a fall. I understand that at first, he was scored with a fall, not a dismount. Upon review, the officials felt he had enough control (for example, getting past a certain level of handstand (no matter how poorly), showing a level of support in his turn, crossing the pommel horse, and landing on two feet) that it was actually a dismount, which upped the D (difficulty) score.

Others more in the know can, of course, comment on this one. This is as I understand it.

kwanfan1818
08-04-2012, 12:39 PM
They did not argue that he did a crappy dismount. Fact is, whatever he did, it was terrible. As I understand it, the Japanese protest involved whether this was a dismount or a fall. I understand that at first, he was scored with a fall, not a dismount. Upon review, the officials felt he had enough control (for example, getting past a certain level of handstand (no matter how poorly), showing a level of support in his turn, crossing the pommel horse, and landing on two feet) that it was actually a dismount, which upped the D (difficulty) score.

Others more in the know can, of course, comment on this one. This is as I understand it.
That's how Shewfelt described it on CTV. He said they brought in eight senior, experienced judges for the review, and he saw them watch it in various degrees of slo mo at least ten times. He also said that they were looking at it from a different angle than the broadcast feed.

What I didn't understand was that I think he said that the difference between having it called a fall vs. a dismount was that a fall would knock .5 off the difficulty score, but later said after the review, Uchimura's score was raised by .7.

As you can see from the date-stamp, I'm really far behind. However, I have only four words about the Men's team final:

Chen Yibing on Rings :inavoid:

danafan
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
What I didn't understand was that I think he said that the difference between having it called a fall vs. a dismount was that a fall would knock .5 off the difficulty score, but later said after the review, Uchimura's score was raised by .7.
:

The dismount has to count as one of your elements. If you don't do a dismount, or attempt one but didn't get credit for it, you can only count 9 elements. Or if you bail and do an easier dismount, you still have to count that value part even if you had another higher valued element in the routine.

Since Uchimura's D score was raised by .7 I'm guessing that his original evaluation gave him credit for a B dismount (which would mean a loss of .5 in D score for the requirement). If they gave back a D dismount, it would replace the B with a D (.2 difference) then an additional .5 for meeting the dismount composition requirement, for a total of .7.