PDA

View Full Version : Men's Gymnastics Team Final...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

galaxygirl
07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
For me it's the opposite. I'm Romanian and I only think of him as Romanian when in relation to Nadia. On his own, not so much. As for Martha, not even Nadia can save her. In conclusion, you can keep both of them, anytime!:D

How about calling him the crazy Hungarian? :D

DimaToe
07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
How about calling him the crazy Hungarian? :D

Poor Hungarians :scream: , I vote for the crazy Antartican, less people will be affected that way.

pollyanna
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
now he is crazy american...

Whatever. ;) Point is he's crazy, and his wuzrobbing on NBC was embarrassing. But then I also remember him wuzrobbing in 1980 with Nadia, so it's apparently a long tradition with him.

Only when he's not embarrassing us. When he is, he's the crazy Romanian. :lol:

:lol:

Loves_Shizuka
07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
I was going to say, aren't the Karolyi's Hungarian?

pollyanna
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
For me it's the opposite. I'm Romanian and I only think of him as Romanian when in relation to Nadia. On his own, not so much. As for Martha, not even Nadia can save her. In conclusion, you can keep both of them, anytime!:D
Rats! Okay, we'll keep them but only if they retire to their ranch never to be seen again. :P

overedge
07-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Poor Hungarians :scream: , I vote for the crazy Antarctican, less people will be affected that way.

That's an insult to penguins and research scientists :P

Jimena
07-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Poor Hungarians :scream: , I vote for the crazy Antartican, less people will be affected that way.

But what about the penguins?!?!?

Personally, I'm thrilled with the British bronze, don't really mind the protest and would love for Uchimura to kick butt in the AA. He's the best and he deserves it.

((((((((((((((Orozco))))))))))))))) :(

cris_c
07-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Rats! Okay, we'll keep them but only if they retire to their ranch never to be seen again. :P

I second this. Can we retire Martha right now?

eleonorad
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Only when he's not embarrassing us. When he is, he's the crazy Romanian. :lol:

There is a difficulty score ('D' score) and an execution score ('E' score). They can also receive neutral deductions for things like going over time or stepping out of bounds. All three are added together for the final score. The dismount is a required element on PH and it must pass through a handstand position for it to be counted. Originally, Uchimura received no credit for his dismount in either the D score or as a neutral deduction, I'm not sure which, and also got dinged on his E score. The protest gave him back the points on his D score but not on the E score.

Thank you so much. So there are similarities with the new CoP in skating. What do you think about the judgment? I found a replay here http://youtu.be/N5DiC0W9VTI

galaxygirl
07-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you so much. So there are similarities with the new CoP in skating. What do you think about the judgment? I found a replay here http://youtu.be/N5DiC0W9VTI

I don't really know too much about the intricacies of men's gymnastics (or women's for that matter) but it didn't look like a handstand to me. I did read somewhere (here maybe?) that he needed to hit 45 degrees. If that's the case then it looks like he may have hit it at the beginning of the dismount.

Hedwig
07-30-2012, 08:48 PM
45 degrees? That he did easily. You can look at it in slow mo and he is at least 80 degrees up if not more.
But only for a split second. I have no idea if that is enough or not? I don't know enough about the code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5DiC0W9VTI&feature=player_detailpage#t=1s

look here.

Allskate
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I was kind of surprised last night when they showed Marta after Jordyn didn't make the AA. It looked like Marta might have had tears in her eyes.

reckless
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't really know too much about the intricacies of men's gymnastics (or women's for that matter) but it didn't look like a handstand to me. I did read somewhere (here maybe?) that he needed to hit 45 degrees. If that's the case then it looks like he may have hit it at the beginning of the dismount.
45 degrees? That's bizarre. That basically means that as long as you throw your legs in the air, even if your arms never get fully extended, it counts.

ks1227
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Holy Crap GB!!! What an event for them!!! Congratulations to them on their Bronze/Silver/Bronze!!

So far they are the highlight of this Olympics for me!! :cheer2:

danafan
07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
45 degrees? That's bizarre. That basically means that as long as you throw your legs in the air, even if your arms never get fully extended, it counts.

I don't know about men's rules as applied to this dismount, but as a concept it's not bizarre at all. Much of gymnastics judging is about angles. A handstand is considered 10 degrees, at least in WAG, and deductions for deviations from that vary based on the degree. In developmental levels, you can often get full credit for reaching 45% from handstand without deduction on certain skills like casts and circle elements on bars.

ETA a handstand angle is measured from hands to feet, in principle.