PDA

View Full Version : The Battler's Thread (following in Erik the Eel's footsteps)

Aussie Willy
07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
We need a thread for those who embody the true Olympic spirit. They come last but they put a smile on our face and you cheer them on for giving it a go.

First nomination is the Nigerian Rower Hamadou Djibo Issaka.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8507424

allezfred
07-30-2012, 10:18 AM
I find it all a bit patronising myself. :slinkaway

Skittl1321
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I don't find it patronizing.

There are some athletes who are there to challenge for the gold, and others who are there only to participate.

If this is supposed to be the world's game- the world should get to participate (though I thought Eddie the Eagle essentially got rules put in place that required expertise so these stories can't happen so much). I think it is fantastic to see athletes who don't have all the advantages doing the best they can do.

Thanks for sharing the article about the rower. With only 3 months experience- wow! That has got to be intimidating.

allezfred
07-30-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm not talking about the athletes. I'm talking about the coverage of them in the media, much of it is of the variety of "isn't it funny how crap they are" variety.

Domshabfan
07-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Wrong post...

Aussie Willy
07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm not talking about the athletes. I'm talking about the coverage of them in the media, much of it is of the variety of "isn't it funny how crap they are" variety.
I didn't find the article patronising. They focussed on how much people cheered him and got behind him. In fact we need stories like this to show that it isn't always about the gold medals and it gives the Olympics some heart and soul.

Try the Australian media going on about a team that came fourth in a swimming relay. That is patronising.