PDA

View Full Version : Openly Gay Athletes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Ziggy
07-31-2012, 07:03 AM
No diver has ever received endorsements AFAIK; it's pretty much rowers and swimmers that get the endorsements in Australia. Sometimes triathletes, and a few cyclists now as well. I don't think it's because Mitcham is gay that he didn't get endorsements, I think it's that the sport isn't popular enough.

Yes diving isn't popular but his victory was quite spectacular.

Coming from way behind to get the highest single-dive score in Olympic history and win the gold medal.

It was something that stood out and that many people would remember.

Also, he's quite handsome and that's what sponsors want as well.

moojja
07-31-2012, 07:11 AM
two words

Greg

Louganis

And who else? I can't name another diver. Diving is almost never show on national TV unless it's the Olympics.

Angelskates
07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
two words

Greg

Louganis

Did a quick survey of Aussie, American and British friends, and even gave them that he was an Olympian, and no one had a clue who he was. Couldn't come close to the sport...

Zemgirl
07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
two words

Greg

Louganis
Who hasn't competed in more than 20 years. As others have noted, there aren't any current high-profile competitors.

We'll see that happens if someone from a high profile sport comes out. I wish someone would do so, but I understand why athletes hesitate.

berthesghost
07-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Did a quick survey of Aussie, American and British friends, and even gave them that he was an Olympian, and no one had a clue who he was. Couldn't come close to the sport...He only was on the cover of Newsweek and People and had a tv movie staring Mario Lopez made about his life. :lol: Do your clueless friends know who Dorothy hamil and Mary Lou reton are, since they're obviously the standard for all fame. :P
No one since Greg has been famous in the us because, duh, Greg was the last one to win.

Skittl1321
07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
No one since Greg has been famous in the us because, duh, Greg was the last one to win.

Greg is before my time-Barcelona is the first summer games I remember- but I only know who is he is because he hit his head on a diving board and was HIV positive. I actually didn't know he won a Gold medal. I probably only know his story though because he did win one, but that part was never communicated well.

I could name some current divers before the Olympics started, but I loosely follow diving (have seen it in person) so I don't think I count.

Angelskates
07-31-2012, 02:38 PM
He only was on the cover of Newsweek and People and had a tv movie staring Mario Lopez made about his life. :lol: Do your clueless friends know who Dorothy hamil and Mary Lou reton are, since they're obviously the standard for all fame. :P

:blah: My "clueless friends" follow all sorts of sports, some know skaters, some don't. But those athletes not in the news, or on our screens, enough, don't get enough recognition to get endorsements. It's as simple as that. Your example was kind of ridiculous - I asked "Is diving popular in the US or UK" and you give an answer of a diver who hasn't competed for many years...who cares if diving *was* popular, Greg's gold doesn't make it currently popular.

berthesghost
07-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Seriously? Greg has 4 OGMs. He's the only guy in the history of the sport to ever do this. Could have been 6 had carter not boycotted moscow. He's widely considered the greatest diver of all time. He's one of the most famous Olympians of all time. It boggles the mind that people keep brushing him off like he's Sarah Hughes or something.

Here's an article about Greg at these London olys in case any of your friends want to be edjamacated http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/diving/greg-louganis-back-in-us-diving-fold-for-olympics.html

Btw 24 years after his last gold he's still has endorsements, like with red bull.

ks1227
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Seriously? Greg has 4 OGMs. He's the only guy in the history of the sport to ever do this. Could have been 6 had carter not boycotted moscow. He's widely considered the greatest diver of all time. He's one of the most famous Olympians of all time. It boggles the mind that people keep brushing him off like he's Sarah Hughes or something.

Having been around at the time :shuffle: I agree with you that Louganis was very well-known and pretty popular in the U.S. at the height of his career (L.A. 1984, Seoul 1988). At least this was true for anyone who remotely followed the Summer Olympics. But back to the Ziggy's original point, Louganis did not come out until the 1990s, after his career as a diver was basically over. And I seem to recall that either in his book or during the publicity around his book, he talked about homophobia in the sport, or in sports in general ... though it was a bit overshadowed by his personal issues and the brouhaha about his being HIV positive when he hit his head, etc. (Hard to believe it now, but that was considered pretty shocking news at the time.)

Jimena
07-31-2012, 03:28 PM

Uh, no. Mark Lenzi won in 1992, Laura Wilkinson in 2000.

Greg was Greg, though. And he was pretty well known in the US. He did not come out, however, until well after his competitive career was over.

berthesghost
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Having been around at the time :shuffle: I agree with you that Louganis was very well-known and pretty popular in the U.S. at the height of his career (L.A. 1984, Seoul 1988). At least this was true for anyone who remotely followed the Summer Olympics. But back to the Ziggy's original point, Louganis did not come out until the 1990s, after his career as a diver was basically over. And I seem to recall that either in his book or during the publicity around his book, he talked about homophobia in the sport, or in sports in general ... though it was a bit overshadowed by his personal issues and the brouhaha about his being HIV positive when he hit his head, etc. (Hard to believe it now, but that was considered pretty shocking news at the time.)Ita and he did lose many endorsements after his book and outing himself as both gay and positive. Before that he was a rockstar. But angel's questions were if a diver any diver could be popular inthe us. Greg was. And the times have changed. Look at Johnny. Not even an oly bronze or WC and he's everywhere, glitter dust halo and all.

ks1227
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM
But angel's questions were if a diver any diver could be popular inthe us. Greg was.
Yes, I agree.

Angelskates
07-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Yes, I agree.

My question was is diving popular in the UK and the US. From the answer (one diver, who won years ago in the US, and is actually more famous now for things other than diving, since he's nowhere near current), I think the answer is no. Could it be? Maybe. But is it? IMO, no.

berthesghost
07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
I didn't realize it was a yes or no question. It's a "B list" sport in US imho. It's not as popular as track&field, Swimming or gymnastics, but way more popular that 75% of the sports in the Summer Olys, most of which don't even make it to tv. Not including the "other" sports like Basketball or Tennis, which are super popular but not because of the Olys (baseball, etc...) A diver actually can get endorsements. greco-roman wrestler, not so much.

Skittl1321
07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't think track and field is popular in the US. It is during the Olympics, so if we are ranking popularity of Olympic sports I'd put it up there quite high, but if we are just looking at popular sports- I wouldn't even think to mention it. It isn't something you see on network TV in non-Olympic years. Heck even cable sports networks are more likely to show poker tournaments than track and field.