PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympic Games - Day Three - General Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

mazzy
07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Except the clock is supposed to be continuous.
If it says so in the rulebook, I stand corrected. I'm just an occasional spectator, but it seems to be that in this case FIE's equipment does not match their rules. Hell one could argue that their rules defy physics since continuous time measurement is physically impossible. ;) If the smallest increments they use is seconds, then that is what we have to go by. We can argue all we want about how the world should be. FIE has an established timekeeping system that is most obviously not continuous.

The rules say the overtime period is one minute. And according to the rules, if there is a problem with the clock, it is up to the referee to determine how much time has elapsed. So the referee should have looked at the video and considered the time that elapsed once the clock hit :01 and determined the proper amount of time. If the referee concluded that more than one second elapsed before the fourth, scoring touch, the referee should have called it for Shin.
That's a position that one can get behind. Basically the ref should have taken the time (to what precision?) for every action and e.g. announced after the 2nd action that pi^(-1) seconds remained. Is there any precedent for this?

Obviously, a lot of this problem could have been avoided if the clock had tenths or hundredths of a second. Then, when the referee ordered time placed back on the clock, she could have set it for less than one second, which it obviously should have been.
As I tried to outline above, more precision does not necessarily mean that things will remain somewhat practical. You'll need to time the beginning & end of every action up to one hundredth of a second. It may be good or bad, but the system in place here determined the outcome.

Again, that is obvious. However, it indicates that the timekeeper was not keeping proper time. When a clock only moves several seconds after it should have stopped, it indicates something is wrong. Most evident is the fact that the time did not start when the referee called for the fencers to start.
To determine if something/what went wrong we would need to have access to original video data & synchronized audio. I don't have that and frankly, I do not care enough to invest the time. ;)
I do agree that they should have made a more thorough investigation and probably should have postponed the finals to tomorrow to check the details. Particularly Shin was probably too disturbed by the whole mess anyway.

edit: I actually was intrigued enough to look it up, and it seems most likely that the timekeeper forgot to activate the clock at the 2nd action, then tried to correct it in between and got it down to zero that way. Oh my that is quite f*cked up.

SHARPIE
07-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Please take Greg Louganis and his head hitting dive off my TV - from early this morning til almost midnight, the bloody thing is haunting me :scream:

allezfred
07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Austrians beating Australians in beach volleyball is not something you see every day. :lol:

allezfred
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Greg Louganis is still hot. :grope:

Wheeee Grange Hill music for Lithuanian Ruta. :rofl:

SHARPIE
07-30-2012, 11:28 PM

I just wiki=ed him, didnt realise he was HIV positive.

He is still hot, I agree - So unfair how men look great grey while us women (er no, never me!) are slaves to the dye!

allezfred
07-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Yeah, he was positive when he banged his head in Seoul.

allezfred
07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
British weightlifter explaining how her snatch was falling apart. :D

SHARPIE
07-30-2012, 11:35 PM
British weightlifter explaining how her snatch was falling apart. :D

:rofl: I should write the PR for these girls ;)

allezfred
07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
OMG are people on Twitter telling Tom Daley that he let his Dad down? What the feck is wrong with those dickheads?

SHARPIE
07-30-2012, 11:40 PM
OMG are people on Twitter telling Tom Daley that he let his Dad down? What the feck is wrong with those dickheads?

They are

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181068/Tom-Daley-After-giving-idiots-sending-Tom-Daleys-anger-Twitter-troll-claims-let-late-father-finishing-fourth-Olympic-diving-final.html

Isnt it funny how 'internet trolls' are now a major menace according to the media - Ive been dealing with them for YEARS and FSU started cos I was a troll .... apparently! ;)

skatingfan5
07-30-2012, 11:40 PM
For once NBC has spared me -- I haven't seen any of Louganis hitting his head on the board. Of course, now I'll probably see it on tonight's coverage of diving. :shuffle:

He is still hot, I agree - So unfair how men look great grey while us women (er no, never me!) are slaves to the dye!I concur that Louganis is still very hot. :grope: I hadn't seen him in quite a while until the recent fun Royal Caribbean promo he's in (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/deckathlon/home.do?et_lid=Deckathlon_Learn_More&et_cid=em_3147226&et_rid=248910168) with Kwan. Still looks pretty good doing a handstand dive entry.

SHARPIE
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
For once NBC has spared me -- I haven't seen any of Louganis hitting his head on the board. Of course, now I'll probably see it on tonight's coverage of diving. :shuffle:

You may be safe, he's over in London and whoring all over our Olympic Highlight shows today.

allezfred
07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Greg Louganis is into dog agility training. Wow he's definitely gay then. :lol:

kwanfan1818
07-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I remember Mexican men diving from cliffs on the Wide World of Sports ages ago. For me it was scary to watch. Diving seems to be in the blood. Great job!!!
Acapulco cliff diving -- I used to look forward to it every year.

A bit of volleyball snark:

What kind of parents name their child Destinee Hooker?
Probably not someone who thought, "There's no winning with 'Hooker,' so we might as well embrace it."

It was a big deal, because he knew he was HIV positive when he hit his head, and he was guilt-ridden for years for not telling the doctors who worked on his wound when he hit the boards, IIRC because he would have been ejected from the competition.

Judge Dred
07-31-2012, 01:03 AM

I know, its ridiculous. Tom did his very best. Unfortunately, Pete Waterfield made a mistake on the 4th dive. Waterfield has had injury problems and these things happen when preparation is disrupted by injury. They did all they could and nobody can ask for more than that.