PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympic Games - Day Three - General Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

oleada
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, Colombia gets a second silver in weightlifting! :cheer2:
Usually it takes us much longer to get two medals.

reckless
07-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure. If they chose to not measure in smaller increments, time's being rounded up. Thus Shin's job was to keep Heidemann from scoring for one second (an advantage she got because of a coin toss) which she failed to do four times in a row. I do feel sorry for Shin, but that's my understanding of the situation.
But physically, how could a fencer cover the distance from the starting point to the opponent in less than one second? They start at least eight feet apart. And even if they managed to do it once, is it really possible that it happened three separate times, not to mention that less than a second elapsed before the German made the final touch to win on the fourth attempt?

But it does beg the question why they don't use tenths of a second at the end of a fencing match. I know basketball switches to tenths in the last second of a quarter to prevent slow clock starts and ensure that time is counted.

Shin just lost the bronze-medal match 15-11. She actually had the lead midway through the match.

l'etoile
07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Can someone explain what happed in epee? The Korean fencer is refusing to leave the piste due to the protest and is just sitting and crying.

ETA: I just read an article that explained it. How could they have three starts of the clock ending in simultaneous touches without a single second running off the clock? And then the German won it on the fourth touch. That sounds like a pretty good basis for a protest.

But physically, how could a fencer cover the distance from the starting point to the opponent in less than one second? They start at least eight feet apart. And even if they managed to do it once, is it really possible that it happened three separate times, not to mention that less than a second elapsed before the German made the final touch to win on the fourth attempt?

:confused:That does beg for a question. Thanks for explaining!

allezfred
07-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Snarky volunteer (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180936/London-2012-Olympics-Games-volunteer-wows-spectators-Opening-Ceremony.html?ICO=most_read_module)

PML! :rofl:

Braulio
07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, Colombia gets a second silver in weightlifting! :cheer2:
Usually it takes us much longer to get two medals.

And Colombia has many more options, in weightlifting and cycling, not forget about the womenīs triple jump!

It could be a great games for Colombia indeed

oleada
07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
And Colombia has many more options, in weightlifting and cycling, not forget about the womenīs triple jump!

It could be a great games for Colombia indeed

Yes, I'm really excited. Before this games, we'd only won 12 Olympics medal (1 Gold) ever. The country is doing well economically, so more money is being invested in sports, although the amount is still woeful and the directives are terfible. But it's progress :) The goal was to qualify 100 athletes and they exceeded that.

Mariana Pajon is THE gold medal hope and I can't imagine the snark if she doesn't win or even medal.

allezfred
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
South Korean Fencer Protest (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/south-korean-fencer-protest-olympic)

The South Korea fencer Shin Lam was in floods of tears at the ExCeL arena night after arguably the biggest controversy of the Olympics so far.

The 25-year-old thought she was through to the final of the women's epee when, to her horror and that of her coach, Shim Jaesung, the clock was reset from zero to one second.

And when the action resumed the German Britta Heidemann, gold medallist four years ago, scored a do-or-die hit that appeared to have given her a place in the final against Ukraine's Yana Shemyakana.

Lorac
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
South Korean Fencer Protest (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/south-korean-fencer-protest-olympic)

I'm still astounded that they had to lodge money for the appeal to be valid :eek:

reckless
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
:confused:That does beg for a question. Thanks for explaining!

I just went back and watched the end of the semifinal. Basically, what happened was there was a bit of an exchange where the clock started at :04 and hit :01 before the first simultaneous touch.

The second simultaneous touch was a lunge by Heidemann. (BTW, my time stamp on the video replay showed :01 elapsed on the lunge.)

The third simultaneous touch was another lunge, with Shin trying to lean back. (Again, the time stamp on my replay showed :01 elapsed on the lunge.) For some weird reason, seven seconds after the touch (according to my time stamp), the official clock moved from :01 to :00.

Then they put the second back on the clock over the Korean's objections. This time, there is a clash of epees before Beidemann can lunge. But even after that exchange, the official clock is still at :01. (My time stamp shows the call to start occurs just as the clock on the NBC video goes from 48:08 to 48:09, and the touch does not occur until after the clock hits 48:10, so that touch took more than a full second.)

Since it should have been possible to check the video time stamps, I don't understand how that could have been considered timely.

mazzy
07-30-2012, 09:14 PM
German tv actually measured the last attack. They came up with 0.86 seconds. From my memory it was the longest of the actions.

But it does beg the question why they don't use tenths of a second at the end of a fencing match. I know basketball switches to tenths in the last second of a quarter to prevent slow clock starts and ensure that time is counted.
I'm not involved enough in fencing to suggest what they should/should not do. Sometimes measuring up to the smallest increment technically possible creates more trouble than it solves. There's no chance that the time stopper can be precise to tenths of a second anyway and chances are that the times will be even more off than they're now. There is a reason why athletics don't measure jumps/throws in milimetres & swimming does not go down to thousands.

oleada
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Germany breaks their medal drought with a silver in the women's fencing.

Skittl1321
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm still astounded that they had to lodge money for the appeal to be valid :eek:

I really want to know more about that. How much money? Is it returned if the appeal is valid? Who gets it?

I also think it is unfair that the media keeps saying "refused to leave the [court]*" like she was being petulant when it seems that she can't leave the [court] or else that means she has accepted the judges decision. If a protest was going on, it seems like she had to stay.

*can't think of what they call the "playing surface"

l'etoile
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the article!

Another official came on to assist as she dissolved into tears again. Now there were whistles and boos from the crowd as she was led off, although the decision had still not been announced.
How awful:(

reckless
07-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the article!

How awful:(

Not true. I just rewatched her leave. Most of the crowd gave her a standing ovation.

reckless
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I really want to know more about that. How much money? Is it returned if the appeal is valid? Who gets it?

I also think it is unfair that the media keeps saying "refused to leave the [court]*" like she was being petulant when it seems that she can't leave the [court] or else that means she has accepted the judges decision. If a protest was going on, it seems like she had to stay.

*can't think of what they call the "playing surface"

It's the piste.

All of the reports I saw mentioned that she had to stay to protest. Also, they announced multiple times in the arena that she was acting in accordance with the rules and asked the audience to respect her.