PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympic Games - Day One - General Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

miffy
07-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I miss Pieter van den Hoogenband :( :swoon:

SHARPIE
07-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Nice win by the Brit Coxless men in their heat :)

Right, I need to get away from the TV and PC combo for a bit!

sus2850
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Not a good start for our German swimmers, very disappointing.
I like the beach volleyball setiing a lot, and the rowing, oh, and the cycling, wished I tried harder to buy tickets...
And no rain (we have some right now)

poths
07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Right, I need to get away from the TV and PC combo for a bit!

:cold::cold::cold: Think we could all do with that TBH ;)

semillon27
07-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Natalie Coughlin looks to have earned a place in the finals of the 4x100 free relay - she had the US's fastest split in the prelims. :cheer: Wonder if she does well enough in finals as well she'll get people thinking about putting her on the medley relay too. :)

kylet3
07-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Crap, Canada had a 12 point lead on Russia in women's basketball except Russia just exploded in the last quarter. Canada collapses and loses :rolleyes: we won just 2 games in women's doubles, and rowing is not good save for our pair, but yikes... day 1... :yikes:

Theatregirl1122
07-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Come on the Cav! :cheer2: He goes in the Road Race.

I'm totally nervous for him. Love that Wiggo was carrying bottles. I'm not sure if I'm more nervous about a potential sprint or that there won't be a sprint!

:eek::eek::eek: At Phelps barely making it in the 400 IM prelims. That means he and Lochte will not be able to mark each other in the race as well, right?

And Beiderman didn't make the 400 Free finals? I know it's been a few years but he is the world record holder!

kylet3
07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
And Beiderman didn't make the 400 Free finals? I know it's been a few years but he is the world record holder!

And the Korean who was the reigning Olympic and World Champion was also DQed and out of finals. And oddly, I'm ok with that because it means our Canadian swims the final :P:slinkaway

oleada
07-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Santiago Giraldo took out Ryan Harrison in the men's tennis singles :cheer2:

oleada
07-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Crap, Canada had a 12 point lead on Russia in women's basketball except Russia just exploded in the last quarter. Canada collapses and loses :rolleyes: we won just 2 games in women's doubles, and rowing is not good save for our pair, but yikes... day 1... :yikes:

To be fair, in women's doubles, they were never going to beat Voskoboeva/Shvedova. Shvedova is a multiple doubles slam champ and is coming off a great Wimbledon. Voskoboeva is having one of the best years of her career, too, and she's ranked much higher than Dubois.

ETA: Darcis (BEL) takes out 6th seed Tomas Berdych (CZE). Biggest upset in the men's side so far.

Theatregirl1122
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Wow at Team GB beating Team China in Gymnastics prelims!

oleada
07-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I never would've guessed Alize Cornet would beat Tamira Paszek on grass!

Michelle Obama is in da house; watching Serena Williams :sekret:

kylet3
07-28-2012, 02:10 PM
To be fair, in women's doubles, they were never going to beat Voskoboeva/Shvedova. Shvedova is a multiple doubles slam champ and is coming off a great Wimbledon. Voskoboeva is having one of the best years of her career, too, and she's ranked much higher than Dubois.

ETA: Darcis (BEL) takes out 6th seed Tomas Berdych (CZE). Biggest upset in the men's side so far.

Oh I know Woz/Dubois never had a hope in hell. Dubois played in a challenger in Quebec a week before the games :o dumb idea, she should have been in London preparing. Shedova is an awesome player and Galina is a solid all round player, but still I'd have liked to see a better effort than that.

rjblue
07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
So I got up all excited this morning to watch the competition live and what was on but f#cking beach volleyball. So I cleaned the living room.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that CTV shows most of the thong show on TSN. I'd rather watch the bronze medal judo, or some real volleyball, than the 23rd ranked beach volleyball team.

Now they are showing the womens football, and it was really moving to watch the Canadian team and the South African team singing their national anthems. The stands are nowhere near full, but there is a good size crowd out to watch.

misskarne
07-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Is this the appropriate place to snark about how rubbish the Australian coverage is?

Because it's crap.

Yes, blah blah blah swimming. The road race is kinda more interesting. But the road race and the swimming is all we've seen so far with snippets of rowing, and I know there are other sports going on!

Channel 9 has the FTA coverage and they have FOUR free-to-air channels. Good lord, you'd think they could do better than this. Instead they have two channels broadcasting the EXACT SAME coverage of the Games. :rolleyes: And here was me all excited that we might be going to enter a new age of sports broadcasting...