PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for mouth sore / Dental pain

Pages : 1 [2]

A.H.Black
08-02-2012, 05:17 AM
You can ask your dentist for a prescription for Peridex. It is the oral antiseptic equivalent of Betadine. Rinse with warm salt water. Has the root canal been finished? As someone who has had about 20 root canals, I can warn you: Don't use any sort of topical anesthetic, like Anbesol, if it is not finished. If the root is still temporarily covered, the topical anesthetic might get into the root area. If that happens, it hurts like you wouldn't believe. I've gotten canker sores like you describe. Is it in the corner of your mouth/lips? If so, they take the longest to heal, because it's always moving. It will feel better, but I feel your pain! (((A.H.Black)))

Sounds like you have had a good deal of experience. My root canal is done. I do have to go at some point and have the tooth crowned, but it is definitely filled. Isn't it interesting how canker sores can be caused by dental work? I have not experienced this before - then again, I haven't had the dentist clip things to my jaw and lips before. This one was in the middle of my bottom lip - just where my tongue hits when I talk. I hope you never have to have another root canal. Their not the end of the world but they aren't fun either.

cruisin
08-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Sounds like you have had a good deal of experience. My root canal is done. I do have to go at some point and have the tooth crowned, but it is definitely filled. Isn't it interesting how canker sores can be caused by dental work? I have not experienced this before - then again, I haven't had the dentist clip things to my jaw and lips before. This one was in the middle of my bottom lip - just where my tongue hits when I talk. I hope you never have to have another root canal. Their not the end of the world but they aren't fun either.

I only have one vital tooth left, so that would be it. The rest have either had root canals or have been replaced with implants. I ruined my teeth from my eating disorder. Root canals are certainly not fun. But, Implants - :eek:! I needed bone grafts in three areas. And it's on going. One of my upper implants needed a sinus lift. They had to perforate the sinus. I get sinus pain, from pressure, frequently, and there's not much that helps with that. So, I really do feel for you.

Just an FYI, I've had that rubber dam a few times. They usually just clip it around the tooth and have a wire frame that keeps it stretched open. I've never had one clipped to my lip or jaw. But, I've had sores from my lips cracking from having my mouth stretched open so far, for so long. I think that they are just caused because you get a little cut or scratch in your mouth and normal mouth bacteria gets in it, also it is always wet, so it doesn't really scab over. And you're eating/drinking/ talking, so it is constantly being irritated.

A.H.Black
08-03-2012, 05:15 AM
Would heat help your sinus? I know everyone recommends ice these days, but when I have sinus pain, a hot shower works wonders. Maybe steaming would help?

cruisin
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Would heat help your sinus? I know everyone recommends ice these days, but when I have sinus pain, a hot shower works wonders. Maybe steaming would help?

Good idea, I'll try that. Thanks!

LilJen
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I ruined my teeth from my eating disorder.

I'm so sorry to hear this, cruisin, but you highlight a bit of info that is rarely discussed and not widely known about eating disorders. They can really, REALLY ruin your teeth if your mode of avoiding taking in calories is via vomiting several times a day. More people need to be aware of this.

cruisin
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, cruisin, but you highlight a bit of info that is rarely discussed and not widely known about eating disorders. They can really, REALLY ruin your teeth if your mode of avoiding taking in calories is via vomiting several times a day. More people need to be aware of this.

Yes, it's a very painful lesson to learn. Literally and figuratively.