PDA

View Full Version : North East Storms

Pages : 1 2 [3]

cruisin
07-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Did you get any of the ice storm of October 1987? That was on Sunday, October 4 :eek: - we had power outages and school cancelled on October 5, 6, and 7 due to all of the ice on the roads and downed power lines, etc. (this is why you keep old diaries/journals - for reference points!). Definitely out of the ordinary.

We got barely anything from the October 29 blizzard, but I was supposed to be going to Lenox, MA for a free "welcome new dancers" contra dance. I decided not to go, because they were supposed to get upwards of 15" or more of snow and I was NOT going to drive over the Berkshires in all that. Route 20 is very winding and twisty going over the mountains. I found out that same night that the dance was cancelled, so my instincts were right on about that.

Was that the storm where 287 was closed for 3 days? I also remember a blizzard in '80 ('81?). They had been predicting it for weeks, but nothing happened. It was a Friday, I worked in NYC, it started snowing around 12:00pm. I left work at 1:00pm. The trains were so crowded that people were literally pushing people off, SRO, but taking your life in your hands :eek:. I got to Summit, NJ at 1:00am, then it took me 2 hours to find my car, and another 3 hours to drive the 5 miles to Berkeley Heights. I left work at 1:00pm and got home at 6:00am. Then in '89 or '90 we had a blizzard where we got over 3' of snow, with 10' drifts. The plow tried to plow out our driveway (which is very steep, down from the street), and got stuck within 10 seconds. We had to get a back hoe in to dig out the driveway. That was three days later. It took me all day to dig our way out to the street, so a friend could take us to the grocery store. Husband and son were up in NY Stae snowmobiling - not a care in the world :lol:.

Wow, cruisin -- now that's a story! What a nice memory to have of your mom now. (Did you ever manage to sleep last night? )

Yes, the angel got moved to a very safe place, after that. :) I did get some sleep, but I kept waking up. Had very weird dreams. And, since we opened up the windows (fear for carbon monoxide), it was blazing hot and humid. Windows are still open, BTW, I hope I can sleep tonight.

Karina1974
07-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Was that the storm where 287 was closed for 3 days?

I have no clue. I'm too far upstate for that. The highways I concern myself with are I-87 north of Albany (and very occasionally south of Albany), I-90 both east and west of Albany, I-890 (connects Exits 25 and 26 of I-90)and I-787. Plus, I was just 20 days shy of turning 13 and the school I was attending at that time was just down the block from me, so I didn't give a shit what was going on with the roads anywhere.

Actually, the most memorable winter storms for me were the Blizzard of March 1993 (Dad and I were officially stranded down in the Catskills 'cause they closed the Thruway, and we had gone down to help dig out for his 80-year-old mother - it was the last storm she ever saw because she passed on in July) and the Christmas blizzard of 2002 (almost couldn't find my car when I left my parents' house, and then a 25-minute drive home took an hour and a half... and I had to work the next day).

Smiley0884
07-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Lots of sketchy storms this summer :yikes: I still remember the Tornado in Massachusetts last summer that destroyed my Aunts house :( But luckily everyone was ok. Cruisin, glad to hear you and your loved ones are unharmed. Any damage on your home is unfortunate, but the most important thing is that you are safe!

barbk
07-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Has anyone else had their towns pre-salting the roads (for snow) in the last year or so? Our town, now, comes through with a brine solution, before the snow. To prevent the road from icing, under the snow. It does help, but it stinks!

They come around here with a solution that has to be put down before snow has fallen that helps to prevent ice formation -- I think it is a liquid magnesium chloride, not sodium chloride. On the hill a few blocks away it makes a big difference. I've never noticed a smell, but they don't put it on regular streets, just thoroughfares.

Hope things are looking a bit calmer today, cruisin. Are you getting your whole house's electrical system & furnace checked out? I've heard lightning can do a number on those things that isn't necessarily immediately obvious. :(

barbk
07-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes, the angel got moved to a very safe place, after that. :) I did get some sleep, but I kept waking up. Had very weird dreams. And, since we opened up the windows (fear for carbon monoxide), it was blazing hot and humid. Windows are still open, BTW, I hope I can sleep tonight.

You got angels -- I inherited lighthouses. If it had a lighthouse on it, my mom collected it. I think I may do our guest area up with a beach theme, far though we are from the shore.

I assume you're filing an insurance claim for the lightning damage, Cruisin -- that might include coverage if you need to stay in a hotel until the house systems are all confirmed as safe and operating. Not sure, though.

cruisin
07-28-2012, 05:32 PM
They come around here with a solution that has to be put down before snow has fallen that helps to prevent ice formation -- I think it is a liquid magnesium chloride, not sodium chloride. On the hill a few blocks away it makes a big difference. I've never noticed a smell, but they don't put it on regular streets, just thoroughfares.

This smells like a really foul version of pickling liquid, and it's really strong. :scream: But, the roads here are very hilly and it does help.

Hope things are looking a bit calmer today, cruisin. Are you getting your whole house's electrical system & furnace checked out? I've heard lightning can do a number on those things that isn't necessarily immediately obvious. :(

Yes, calmer - see below

You got angels -- I inherited lighthouses. If it had a lighthouse on it, my mom collected it. I think I may do our guest area up with a beach theme, far though we are from the shore.

Aww, that would be charming. And it would be a nice room to feel close to your mother.

I assume you're filing an insurance claim for the lightning damage, Cruisin -- that might include coverage if you need to stay in a hotel until the house systems are all confirmed as safe and operating. Not sure, though.

We did file a claim. We are okay to stay here. We had the chimney people come today. All of the damage is above the roof line, which is good. But the flue for the cold chimney is damaged and has a lot of debris. If it were cold out and the furnace running, we'd have a carbon monoxide issue. But, apparently, though the A/C runs through the furnace, it doesn't use gas to do that. And the hot water heater doesn't produce that much. The chimney guy took the tiles off in the basement so that the up draft would be more effective. So far all of the appliances are working. But the chimney guy said that sometimes these things work for a while and then go. The problem is that the insurance company wants to know what is not working now. If something goes after the approval is done, we may be out of luck. We will probably need to repair some of the house siding, he said that the bricks hit the side of the house so hard they put holes in the siding. I would like to have an electrician come out and just do a general "wellness check". I still think something electrical had to have happened for the alarms to have been triggered, and the garage door openers and the wireless router to have been fried.