PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: ICE DANCE SEMI-FINAL

Pages : 1 [2]

blue_idealist
07-27-2012, 08:00 PM
In the FD dance it was a close call between A&P and K&O. Still, K&O totally dominated the two compulsory dances with A&P lying in third behind B&K after the first compulsory.

I honestly didn't like Man In The Iron Mask from A&P.. or R&J.. or Carmina Burana.. I didn't like anything of theirs until the Beethoven's Last Night FD. I think they were vastly improved in 2001 and 2002. I agree with K&O's win at the '99 Worlds. The African program, while not my favourite one of theirs (that would be the Carmen FD), was very well skated.

Tak
07-28-2012, 12:59 AM
I disagree with you on their MLK program. I thought it was good but would be easily beaten by Memorial or most of the other Olympic gold free dances.

Did you see the original version of this? Probably from Trophy Lalique [I think that's where they debuted this program]. That version was definitely a masterpiece IMO. VERY different, VERY modern dance - on the floor it could have been something I'd see in a dance troupe - I dont know how many other FD I could say that about.

What I read at the time was the French Fed was all kinds of nervous for Olympic year [just like with the Duchesnays] and kept tinkering away with the program, making them change it, going back to the familiar - until by the end of the season, we got the Olympic version, which looked more like a FD and less like a modern dance piece - and had far less artistic cohesion.

I still like the Olympic version - but maybe that's because you could still see glimpses of the brilliant original shining through at times.

DORISPULASKI
07-28-2012, 02:41 AM
For those who wish to compare:

A&P's TEB performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzCdfFoFyk

A&P's Olympic performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJknaDA7II

casken
07-28-2012, 02:54 AM
A&P butchered their Olympic FD after that ridiculous loss to B&K at the GPF. They took all the most intricate and interesting parts out and replaced them more "Ta-da!" moments, including the ending.

blue_idealist
07-28-2012, 03:47 AM
For those who wish to compare:

A&P's TEB performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzCdfFoFyk

A&P's Olympic performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJknaDA7II

The program itself was better at Lalique (I don't remember ever seeing it, probably didn't watch Lalique that year as I didn't have cable in '02), but I think they skated better at the Olympics, which makes sense since it was later in the season and it was an easier version of the program I guess.

zilam98
07-28-2012, 04:17 AM
i love a/p but i think after 2000, they tended to debut more difficult choreography early in the season, only to streamline the programs with familiar elements later in the season. such was the case of BLN and liberta. i still want k/o voted off since i really love a/p's style of skating.

michiruwater
07-28-2012, 04:58 AM
A&P are my favorite pairs team ever, so I voted K&O.

sykr
07-28-2012, 11:33 AM
i love a/p but i think after 2000, they tended to debut more difficult choreography early in the season, only to streamline the programs with familiar elements later in the season. such was the case of BLN and liberta. i still want k/o voted off since i really love a/p's style of skating.

It's true, even if I don't think they changed BLN so much, actually it was more their OD they changed a lot. And it's a shame because I often liked the original versions more. OTOH I understand that strategy, because when you try something difficult and have problems with it and judges don't pay attention to the difficulty of the choreography and at the same time, your competitor does something so easy and beats you, then changing your program and make it easier to skate it clean is logical.... Personally I prefer the first version of Liberta, but I like the changes in BLN and all in all, BLN is probably my favourite free dance of theirs:)

nuge
07-29-2012, 04:35 PM
, BLN is probably my favourite free dance of theirs:)

I wouldn't say it was a fav FD of theirs for me ' but I did like BLN except for the awful lift in the middle where Gwendal leans on Marina's knees :shuffle: Nice gold costumes though and they skated it great after the disaster at Euros:)