PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympic Games - Day ZERO!! Finally!!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Prancer
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
If you have some time to kill, there are some interesting tidbits about the past London Olympics and how they compare to this one in this Five Books interview (http://thebrowser.com/interviews/david-runciman-on-london-olympic-history?page=1) with David Runciman, the political writer for the London Review of Books, among other things.

Some of the stuff about the 1908 Olys is really :rofl:. I particularly like that the British gave a special platinum medal special gilded cup to the :wuzrobbed Italian marathoner :lol:.

I also like the paragraph about the responses to the relatively poor performance of the British team in 1948--so nice not to have to hear "God Save the Queen" played all the time :rofl:.

allezfred
07-27-2012, 12:18 PM
It'll tell you something about how obsessed I am with Olympic trivia that I didn't even need to look up Dorando Pietri's name. :shuffle:

gingercrush
07-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Grrr was this archery televised as my tv guide never mentioned anything about archery. And to think how much it bloody costs to get full Olympics coverage. bleh.

allezfred
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Grrr was this archery televised as my tv guide never mentioned anything about archery. And to think how much it bloody costs to get full Olympics coverage. bleh.

No, it wasn't. It's like the compulsory dances at TEB used to be.

Domshabfan
07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
No, it wasn't. It's like the compulsory dances at TEB used to be.

There will be a highlights available on the official youtube page of the olympics 2012 games.

gingercrush
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Seems I shouldn't have moaned. Am watching highlights of the archery now.

And o.o I've looked at everything that is on tomorrow and I have absolutely no idea how I am going to fit it all in. Between Swimming, Mens gymnastics, Equestrian, Rowing and the Road race not to mention other sports I usually get no chance to watch such as Archery, Handball etc. Busy busy day but I think i can fit the majority in of sports in.

Wheeee so excited.

Karpenko
07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
The Olympics are here!!! :cheer: :rollin: :cheer2: zOMG!

os168
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Are you ever? :P

After a few drinks and fidgeting for a few hours until midnight I certainly hope so.

Replay of Beijing open ceremony is on Eurosport on right now. Setting the mark awfully high in production value! I do love Danny Boyle including his theatre productions, so hopefully he will impress us with his ingenuity! Come on Britain!!! As world leader in the creative arts I soooo badly want to be proud of u!!!

Pssttt... I still think Steve Redgrave will light the Cauldron - has to be!!!

PS gingercrush... try BBC iplayer, anything been broadcasted on the BBC can be replayed there after.

Wyliefan
07-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Just in case anyone needs a drinking game for tonight (http://thefleetstreetvicomte.tumblr.com/post/28131624422/opening-ceremony-drinking-game-we-should-all-do).

GarrAarghHrumph
07-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Archery Men's Individual Qualification (http://www.london2012.com/archery/event/men-individual/phase=arm070900/index.html)

1) Im Dong Hyun (KOR) 699 WR
2) Kim Budmin (KOR) 698
3) Oh Jin Hyek (KOR) 690
4) Larry Godfrey (GBR) 680

Team Qualification (http://www.london2012.com/archery/event/men-team/phase=arm470900/index.html)
1) Korea WR 2087
2) France 2021
3) China 2019
4) USA 2019

Im Dong-hyun, who placed first in this qualification round and broke the world record with his score, is legally blind. He says that he relies on his ability to see the colors on the target.

Ziggy
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Im Dong-hyun, who placed first in this qualification round and broke the world record with his score, is legally blind. He says that he relies on his ability to see the colors on the target.

:eek:

skatingfan5
07-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Replay of Beijing open ceremony is on Eurosport on right now. Setting the mark awfully high in production value! I do love Danny Boyle including his theatre productions, so hopefully he will impress us with his ingenuity! Come on Britain!!! As world leader in the creative arts I soooo badly want to be proud of u!!!Saw an interview with Danny Boyle last night in which he said that the Beijing opening ceremonies were so over-the-top wrt to everything, that this would definitely not be on the same scale. He said that it allowed for things (including expectations for overwhelming monumental displays) to be reset at a lower level. I'm hoping to be entertained, but I don't expect to see things on the scale of Beijing.

Rob
07-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I am so excited. My boss even said I should go home to get organized for the Opening Ceremonies.

poths
07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
LOVING the BBC News/Build up.

All kinds of Britishness! Wheeeeeeeee, :respec: GB, good luck I'm sure it will be AMAZING!

oleada
07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I wish I could watch it live, but I'll have to wait until the NBC tape delayed coverage. Can't wait :)