PDA

View Full Version : Lubov Iliushechkina & Yannick Kocon have paired up & hope to represent France

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Split off from the Russian news thread:

Here is the original article: http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuDet_-Sur-la-glace-yonnaise-des-perles-rares-du-patinage-_40867-2098624_actu.Htm

It says they skate in Bercy and it seems she is ready to sit out as much time as needed:

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/142196949.html

From the article (apparently sports.ru just used and translated material from French media) it seems pretty clear that they are going to represent France or at least want to represent France. They are training in France with a French coach. Since he probably kept French citizenship he should be eligible to skate for France again one year after his last competition for Italy. She still has to wait, though. Her last international competition for Russia was in the Grand Prix last year.
As for her release, this of course might take longer especially since the Russian Federation president said earlier when it was first reported that she teamed up with Kocon a few months ago that he is not planning to release her right away.

kirkbiggestfan
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
The article also mentions Nicolas Hejzlar (Czech rep.) and Méliné Habechian, who tried out with Kocon this year.

The quote from Lubov: "I wanted to go on the ice out of pleasure and not out of duty" tells it all.

We should see them at the Masters competition in October.

Ziggy
07-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Ilushechkina and Kocon are extremely unlikely to become a threat to the Russian teams so Piseev really could just release her. :/

hanca
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Ilushechkina and Kocon are extremely unlikely to become a threat to the Russian teams so Piseev really could just release her. :/

Well, probably not immediately, but if she managed to place with Maisuradze sixth at Europeans just when they were freshly out of Juniors a few years ago and Kocon managed to be sixth at Europeans twice, they shouldn't be 'completely useless'. I can't see them beating the Germans, or Volosozhar-Trankov, or Kawaguti-Smirnov, but if she becomes more consistent with her jumps, they could easily medal at the Europeans after the Olympics, when these three strongest pairs probably retire. I know that Lubov had a huge issue with the jumps the last few years, but from the interview Pavlova gave in April/May, I think the training environment wasn't very nice for her, and that can have a huge impact on jumps.

julieann
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, probably not immediately, but if she managed to place with Maisuradze sixth at Europeans just when they were freshly out of Juniors a few years ago and Kocon managed to be sixth at Europeans twice, they shouldn't be 'completely useless'. I can't see them beating the Germans, or Volosozhar-Trankov, or Kawaguti-Smirnov, but if she becomes more consistent with her jumps, they could easily medal at the Europeans after the Olympics, when these three strongest pairs probably retire. I know that Lubov had a huge issue with the jumps the last few years, but from the interview Pavlova gave in April/May, I think the training environment wasn't very nice for her, and that can have a huge impact on jumps.

I agree with you, it sounds like her training environment and her coach was her Achille's heel and nothing more. She is young enough and so is he that they could do really well if the stars could align for them. I just think she had a bad season last year and just couldn't take it anymore. I hope they do well.

ioana
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Ooo, France will now have 3 good pair teams. I'm not holding out much hope for James/Cipres to improve a lot, but Popova/Massot and now Iliushechkina/Kocon both have potential. Hopefully Lubov will get released sooner rather than later by the Russian Federation.

I agree with what's been said about her having a tough season and I am hopeful a more relaxed training environment would be better for her -at least for starters.

SamuraiK
07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
We'll have to wait to see if she can get away with this. Hopefully they'll release her but she can also end like Morgan Matthews, Vanessa Crone or Julia Vlassov :S. A shame if that happens.

ioana
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
We'll have to wait to see if she can get away with this. Hopefully they'll release her but she can also end like Morgan Matthews, Vanessa Crone or Julia Vlassov :S. A shame if that happens.

Vanessa Crone is still looking for a partner and I'm hoping she finds one. She posted on FB there would be an announcement made this week-end. Am still :fragile: about Vlassov and Hogner never getting a chance to compete, but am hoping you're prematurely sticking a fork in Vanessa's career.

love_skate2011
07-25-2012, 07:37 PM
here is what I think:

Liubov is very upset not only with her previous coach but also with the Russian Fed for not doing enough for her when she was in her hell zone with Pavlova, by skating for France stubbornly, in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well .

clearly she loves skating but previously she looked like she was burdened from her last partnership and coaching, poor Liubov :(

Ziggy
07-26-2012, 12:02 AM
here is what I think:

Liubov is very upset not only with her previous coach but also with the Russian Fed for not doing enough for her when she was in her hell zone with Pavlova, by skating for France stubbornly, in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well.

How about: She found a partner whom she gets on well with and a training environment that works for her? :P

love_skate2011
07-26-2012, 07:36 AM
How about: She found a partner whom she gets on well with and a training environment that works for her? :P

:wall:

kirkbiggestfan
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
The Pairs training environment in Paris is far from being ideal. Since Stanislav Leonovich left, the program took a big nose dive. JR Racle and the Francais Volants team is probably a more nurturing environment, but most French pairs end up wanting to leave Paris to improve their skills. Camps with Ingo in Germany or in Montreal can be costly and the French Fed won't financially support multiple pairs.
Lubov and Yannick have to show that they can be the number 1 French pair if they want support.

l'etoile
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Anyhow, things worked out as she wanted:D I hope they have a good career ahead of them!

peibeck
07-26-2012, 06:33 PM
...in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well .

Hopefully they don't view it as being given the "middle finger," as that may not bode well for a quick release.

hanca
07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
The Pairs training environment in Paris is far from being ideal. Since Stanislav Leonovich left, the program took a big nose dive. JR Racle and the Francais Volants team is probably a more nurturing environment, but most French pairs end up wanting to leave Paris to improve their skills. Camps with Ingo in Germany or in Montreal can be costly and the French Fed won't financially support multiple pairs.
Lubov and Yannick have to show that they can be the number 1 French pair if they want support.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong), at the time when Marina Anissina left Russia for France, France was not exactly any brilliant training environment for dancers. As far as I remember from one of her interviews, she was shocked by their working morale (or lack of it). She was describing it like if they all did it as a hobby and not an elite sport. I think she said in one interview that the French spent 15 minutes every morning kissing each other on cheek and asking how they are, instead of getting on with hard training. :lol: ) My point is, if you have a talented pair, where they get on with each other, reasonably good coach and nurturing environment, you can get somewhere even without support of French skating federation. And if they eventually become French pair number one, I am sure federation will start supporting them.