PDA

View Full Version : Lubov Iliushechkina & Yannick Kocon have paired up & hope to represent France

Pages : 1 [2]

hanca
07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Hopefully they don't view it as being given the "middle finger," as that may not bode well for a quick release.

They can't hold her longer than two years from the last time she competed for them last time internationally, is that correct?

ioana
07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
My point is, if you have a talented pair, where they get on with each other, reasonably good coach and nurturing environment, you can get somewhere even without support of French skating federation.

Sure you can, but it would be that much easier with official support. When Bonheur and Canac teamed up, they were training at daytime public sessions since they were getting no funding at all. They ended up retiring (even if they looked very good for such a new pair) and I would think this lack of support played into it.

kwanfan1818
07-27-2012, 10:03 PM
They can't hold her longer than two years from the last time she competed for them last time internationally, is that correct?
Yes and no. USFS had rules in place ~ 2006 that allowed them to hold skaters who had certain placements for four seasons, which is what the told Morgan Matthews they would do, even though they later released Zavozin in a shorter time.

According to Rule 109 paragraph 5, the ISU Council can grant an exception to the usual rules, which include the requirement to get federation release. However, the rule has been in effect since at least the Constitution before 2008, and I'm not sure there's ever been a case where an exception request has been filed.

The interesting thing is that if an exception is granted, the skater/team isn't part of either country's quota of spots. It's like the skater/pair is an invited guest of the ISU. If they win prize money, I wonder where it goes, since, usually, it's submitted directly to the federation.

l'etoile
07-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Yes and no. USFS had rules in place ~ 2006 that allowed them to hold skaters who had certain placements for four seasons, which is what the told Morgan Matthews they would do, even though they later released Zavozin in a shorter time.

According to Rule 109 paragraph 5, the ISU Council can grant an exception to the usual rules, which include the requirement to get federation release. However, the rule has been in effect since at least the Constitution before 2008, and I'm not sure there's ever been a case where an exception request has been filed.

The interesting thing is that if an exception is granted, the skater/team isn't part of either country's quota of spots. It's like the skater/pair is an invited guest of the ISU. If they win prize money, I wonder where it goes, since, usually, it's submitted directly to the federation.

Has there been any cases of such recently? It's really interesting/odd.

Sylvia
10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Re-posting from the Russian news thread:

Ilushechkina's interview for sport-ru (http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/144026956.html) by Oxana Shkrebtienko

LI: I want to enjoy the skating and not feel it's a must. I wanted to change everything including my attitude towards figure skating.

LI: It's hard to tell yet, we have just started. Nevertheless I like the way we work. We have two new programmes. Not everything was clean during the competition, so there is still a lot of work to be done.

LI: Through the internet. I emailed, he replied and we agreed on the terms.

OS: What kind of partner is he? Do you suit each other? After all it's not something you'd figure through the internet.
LI: Yes, that is what I worried about, but am incredibly comfortable with Yannic. I tried some elements with other partners but never felt so comfortable. It's very important for the pairs skating and am thrilled things are working for us.

OS: What are your relationship outside the ice rink? Are you friends? Do you spend time together?
LI: We are good friends. Yannic helps me a lot to get around in the new country, to find a flat, helps me with all the paper work. He had a birthday party and invited me there as well.

OS: Which language do you usually speak to him and the coach? How is your French?
LI: We usually speak English out of habit, though recently I try switching to French. I'm studying the language for 4-6 hours a day towards the exam. I study from the books without any teachers. There is a progress - I started understanding and being comprehensive!

OS: The French FS team is very united and fun. How were you accepted, who did you become friends with, how do you feel there?
LI: Indeed the team is friendly. I like the atmosphere - everyone cheers for each other, wish luck before the competitions. I feel very comfortable, the guys support me a lot and try to help me. I'm

very grateful for them!

LI: It's not decided yet, but we do everything within our power to make the sit out as short as possible. In the mean while we plan to compete the FFSG competitions. The next one is the French Nationals in December.

ETA their SP result/scores at the French Masters competition:
3 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Yannick KOCON 47.60 [27.54 TES, 20.06 PCS]

hanca
10-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have a clip from their competition at French Masters?