PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Pairs SEMI-FINAL

Pages : [1] 2 3

allezfred
07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Totmianina & Marinin are banished to a street corner, but who will be the final two?

Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5fWd7Fu5o): Worlds 1998, 1999, Olys 2002
Shen & Zhao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqHEd0Bq9o): Worlds 2002, 2003, 2007, Olys 2010
Savchenko & Szolkowy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqkCUEZBO8s&feature=player_detailpage#t=29s): Worlds 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

gingercrush
07-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Berehnaya & Sikharulidze. Did they deserve to win Gold in 2002? Yes. But had they not made crucial mistakes that allowed the media to engineer a scandal they would be the unanimous champions. Thus it is time they went.

All for Shen & Zhao taking this and very happy for the Germans to be runner-ups. And o.o I can't believe Shen & Zhao is losing this.

Macassar88
07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Personally I find Savchenko and Szolkowy to be more interesting than Shen and Zhao and I'll be voting for the Chinese pair despite their huge medal count over the years.

sk8ingcoach
07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Savchenko and Szolkowy should win this. All their elements are amazing ( except maybe twist ) and have had some truly amazing and innovative programs that will never be forgotten. Like their "send in the clowns" short program and their " Pink Panther" long. JUST BRILLIANT

snoopysnake
07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Are you freaking kidding me? Shen and Zhao should finish first, not third.

DaiKozOda
07-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I really like S&S but I'll vote for them in this round.

love_skate2011
07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
S/S are still in the list :eek: :rofl:

Kunstrijdster
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
S/S's main and maybe only weakness is their consistency. And for such a top pair their glitches are often quite memorable. But even with more consistency it did never feel like they could have set themselves up as the really dominant pair and with decent competition will never run away with a title.

That said, I'll try to vote them into the great finale based upon their ever changing and ever interesting body of work. :D

TID
07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I'll go with S/S this round. IMO, they lack the connection with each other that B/S and S/Z have. They always leave me the impression that two beautiful individual skaters(especially her) are skating together.

kwanette
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I'll go with S/S this round. IMO, they lack the connection with each other that B/S and S/Z have. They always leave me the impression that two beautiful individual skaters(especially her) are skating together.

That's why I voted for them. I like them, a lot. But I see no real connection.

DimaToe
07-24-2012, 06:56 PM
....It was difficult to vote, I love all Three pairs! :wuzrobbed

casken
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
What I said last round.

Shen and Zhao

Technique > Emotion.

julieann
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
But even with more consistency it did never feel like they could have set themselves up as the really dominant pair and with decent competition will never run away with a title.

If there's decent competition in skating (or any sport) no one will run away with any title.

I feel S/S have just as much connection as any pairs skaters but I always have felt as if Elena B always had somewhere else she would have rather been. She always had a vacant look on her face like she was bored.

judgejudy27
07-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze > Shen & Zhou > Savchenko & Szolkowy without even the slighest bit of doubt IMO. S&S are very good but capatilized on a really weak pairs era with no competition. When an old past their prime Shen & Zhou who werent even skating clean long programs anymore returned, they immediately stopped winning. S&Z are great but only dominated after B&S and S&P retired, and even then only really dominated when Totmianina & Marinin werent around. B&S had consistency problems, and were victimized by the over the top political push for S&P for awhile, but they are truly one of the top 3 pairs teams of all time IMO and a class above he other two.

On another note funny the heat B&S take for being supposably inconsistent, when most of their errors their final couple competitive seasons were minor ones (exagerrated by TPTB in an attempt to build up S&P) while S&S who rarely get through a competition without a huge crash get a free pass by comparision.

Grannyfan
07-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Really haven't kept up with the polls, but as much as I love Shen & Zhou, the skating of B & S is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Nothing these days compares, in my opinion. I know people rave about S & S today, but I miss the pre-2002 pairs.