PDA

View Full Version : American Idol news - Mariah Carey as a judge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

taf2002
07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/mariah-carey-idol-judge-5-reasons-why-she-190515591.html

I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss Mariah Carey being selected a new American Idol judge & see what everyone thinks about it. I'm excited because I love her voice & I think she's going to be good. And her feedback should be spot on.

KikiSashaFan
07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Never been a fan of hers, but she can't be any worse than J. Lo

BigB08822
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
When will Idol figure out that a new judge, or a whole new panel of judges, wont bring in new viewers. That judge has to be someone exciting and has to get people talking. Have you ever listened to Mariah Carey talk? She is about as exciting as watching paint dry. She has never had much personality and has always relied on her incredible voice to get herself through, which she has in spades. She is not going to be the type of person to give the show great sound bites and to get people watching every week. The show needs another Simon, plain and simple.

DaveRocks
07-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Mariah Carey = :yawn:

skatesindreams
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I agree that the show "needs" Simon!
That said, I'll reserve judgement about Mariah until I see what she does/says.

orbitz
07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
I bet Mariah's fondness for way too tight clothing will be a distraction.

LuckyCharm
07-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Mariah Carey = :yawn:

I think she has trainwreck potential to rival Pauler's. On on the other hand, she might actually be quite good at giving critiques. Either way, I'll probably watch.

DickButtonFan
07-24-2012, 01:39 AM
When will Idol figure out that a new judge, or a whole new panel of judges, wont bring in new viewers. That judge has to be someone exciting and has to get people talking. Have you ever listened to Mariah Carey talk? She is about as exciting as watching paint dry. She has never had much personality and has always relied on her incredible voice to get herself through, which she has in spades. She is not going to be the type of person to give the show great sound bites and to get people watching every week. The show needs another Simon, plain and simple.

Have you seen her on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7fOLdZL2s

I think she can be pretty entertaining :D

Kevind85
07-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Well, atleast she can sing. I still think it's a total crock that Britney Spears is judging the X-Factor.

overedge
07-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Well, at least she can sing.

Which we know because about 95% of the AI contestants sing in her annoying shrieky unnecessarily elaborate style. So if she's going to smack them down for ruining or overdoing that style (if that's possible), that could be hugely entertaining.

taf2002
07-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Well, atleast she can sing. I still think it's a total crock that Britney Spears is judging the X-Factor.

Not as much of a crock as JLo.

Allskate
07-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Never been a fan of hers, but she can't be any worse than J. Lo

ITA. And since they're paying Mariah so much, there's no way they can bring back JLo.

I absolutely do not think they need a Simon. I thought Simon was useless when it came to criticism. He was just about insults. And I didn't think he had particularly good taste. He's the main reason I don't watch X Factor.

I would, however, like to see someone who was willing to be objecting and give constructive criticism. I thought that both Ben Folds and Sara Bareilles were good judges, but they're not big enough names.

taf2002
07-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Barry Manilow was a fabulous mentor imo & he actually gave some negative feedback. I don't know how he would be as a judge though. I wonder if Aretha Franklin is a real possibility? She has nothing to lose like a current artist so she would probably tell it like it is. Bette Midler would also probably be tough. And good. I want judges who would do a better job picking the final 24. There are winners who shouldn't have ever gotten thru Vegas week - like Taylor Hicks for example.

snoopysnake
07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I would love Bette to be a judge!

Oreo
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
In these hard economic times with so many people struggling, is anybody else having a problem when the media gushes that somebody is getting paid $18 million to be a judge on a TV show? I think it's really kind of gross. In Mariah Carey's case, surely her attorneys could have arranged a non-disclosure of salary clause in the contract.

And it's just not Mariah Carey, it's all of them, including actor and athlete celebs.