PDA

View Full Version : NCAA levies massive penalties on Penn State

Pages : [1] 2 3

Karen-W
07-23-2012, 04:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--penn-state-sanctions-mark-emmert-four-year-bowl-ban-60-million-fine.html

Wow. I didn't expect the penalties to be as bad as they are. Might as well have been the death penalty. At least current players can transfer immediately and not lose their eligibility. But how many FBS schools have scholarships available to give to those players at this point in the year? Pre-season training starts in another week or two.

Sarah
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--penn-state-sanctions-mark-emmert-four-year-bowl-ban-60-million-fine.html

Wow. I didn't expect the penalties to be as bad as they are. Might as well have been the death penalty. At least current players can transfer immediately and not lose their eligibility. But how many FBS schools have scholarships available to give to those players at this point in the year? Pre-season training starts in another week or two.

Wow. I really feel for the players who have NOTHING to do with any of this. Yes, it's great that they can transfer without penalty, but how likely is that? Yes, football isn't everything, but the current players (and past players for that matter) who have nothing to do with any of this are the ones being punished...

jenny12
07-23-2012, 04:31 PM
I understand the need for harsh penalties since the powers-that-be at Penn State were protecting a horrible crime, but I definitely feel bad for the players who had nothing to do with it.

PDilemma
07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Usually, when sanctions like this happen and players are allowed to transfer, there are provisions that allow for scholarships. This article explains what will likely happen and the rules that are "suspended" in order to allow them to pursue transfers:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/7/23/3177402/penn-state-football-roster-ncaa-transfers

Tesla
07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
There goes Paterno's legacy. He is no longer the winningest coach.

PDilemma
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
There goes Paterno's legacy. He is no longer the winningest coach.

I believe that was the point of vacating those seasons wins. He clearly did what he did to protect his pursuit of that record. So it is appropriate that he no longer holds it.

Does anyone remember the SNL skit from the 80s with Ronald Reagan depicted as nice and soft-spoken and all kindly and grandfatherly with the public and a fast talking harsh tyrant in complete control as soon as the door closed? It has appeared on a few of their prime time election specials. Who knows if that was really Reagan, but it appears it was Joe Paterno.

BigB08822
07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I am happy they vacated all those wins because Paterno has no right to go down as the winningest coach in football. He covered up horrific crimes in order to get that record so it is only appropriate that the record is lost. I only wish he were alive to get the news.

Garden Kitty
07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
per Reuters twitter, (https://twitter.com/Reuters) the Big Ten withheld Penn State's Bowl revenue and will donate the money to child abuse charities instead ($13 million)

Lacey
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I believe that's the Bowl money for the next four years when Penn State is banned from bowls, so now they won't get to share in the $$$ as is customary for all of those who participate, not just those who win bowls.

The final punishments have yet to be handed out and the NCAA announced today they reserve the right to do so after litigation, either pending or to come, against individuals at Penn State is settled (going to take years). I believe they will go after Joe Paterno's estate, and the retirement or present income of Sanduskey, and hopefully the Penn State personnel who were involved: the two Vice Presidents and the ex-President Spanier.

rfisher
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
This goes far beyond the football program. The loss of revenue to the University at large will impact every department on campus. I feel for all the entire student body and every professor on campus. This is a devestating blow to Penn State, thousands of students and the entire community around the campus. College town businesses depend heavily upon the University, particularly one with a lucretive athletic department that brings in lots of business....hotels, restaurants, bars all will be hit hard by this. What a shame for thousands of people.

PDilemma
07-23-2012, 06:36 PM
This goes far beyond the football program. The loss of revenue to the University at large will impact every department on campus. I feel for all the entire student body and every professor on campus. This is a devestating blow to Penn State, thousands of students and the entire community around the campus. College town businesses depend heavily upon the University, particularly one with a lucretive athletic department that brings in lots of business....hotels, restaurants, bars all will be hit hard by this. What a shame for thousands of people.

Penn State made $24 million on football related merchandise last year. That is not included in the general football revenue (tickets, television contracts, etc...). They have five years to pay $60 million in fines. That is $12 million a year. It is also stipulated that they must pay the fines from athletic department funds not the general university fund. They can likely pay it just from merchandise revenue which may drop but likely not by more than 50%.

This university chose to live by and for football. When those choices are made, you have to live with the consequences if it goes wrong.

rfisher
07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Penn State made $24 million on football related merchandise last year. That is not included in the general football revenue (tickets, television contracts, etc...). They have five years to pay $60 million in fines. That is $12 million a year. It is also stipulated that they must pay the fines from athletic department funds not the general university fund. They can likely pay it just from merchandise revenue which may drop but likely not by more than 50%.

This university chose to live by and for football. When those choices are made, you have to live with the consequences if it goes wrong.

I don't think you quite understand things. Every department on campus is impacted by this decision and if you think the anthropology department or history department has anything to do with football, you are mistaken. However, their enrollment numbers will. Moreover, that revenue is going to drop like a rock because there won't be TV contracts, ticket sales will decline and contracts will be lost. And, TV contract money typically goes into the general scholarship fund and not the athletic department. This happens to schools sanctioned by the NCAA with much less severity. SMU took years to regain what they lost just by a one season sanction, much less four. And, the surrounding community certainly had no say in how the football program was run, but they'll be impacted just the same. I get that the NCAA is sending a powerful message to all schools, but, nonetheless, this will have a wide reaching impact on Penn State far beyond the football program and will impact people who had nothing to do with Jerry Sandusky.

PDilemma
07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
If this happened to the major college football team here, deep pocketed donors would make up the funds in a matter of days. Because football is their priority. And as I understand it, PSU has more fanatics than here (something hard for me to imagine, actually). They'll survive.

We have chosen as a society to let sports run our educational institutions all the way down to the middle school level. Then we are going to cry for academics when they have to pay the price? Call me cynical, but we are all stuck with the consequences of that choice. And they are big and small and not limited to this one thing at this one moment at Penn State. Most of the time, no one will even admit it. And when we do it is to cry that sports failed us and the anthropology department might get their budget cut.

Instead of crying or calling it unfair, maybe people concerned from sixth grade to college need to finally say enough is enough.

But we know that isn't going to happen. We're all in bed with the athletic departments and no one is going to be able to crawl out now even if the consequences are not to our liking.

caseyedwards
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
All the penalties seem fine. Banning them for a year really might have destroyed the program forever. Players may have gone to other schools to play and may have come back or they would go to penn state and not play but that's doubtful. To not create waves in the program and keep it a smooth running winning operation the leaders looked the other way or covered up or gave way too much benefit of the doubt to a child molester.

milanessa
07-23-2012, 08:06 PM
I said it in the other thread. What the people at the top do impacts everything at an institution. It's a shame Penn State leaders chose the path they did but there you have it. The blame for the collateral damage belongs to them alone.