PDA

View Full Version : Who will light the Olympic flame?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

allezfred
07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
It seemed like it would be between Steve Redgrave (5 consecutive golds in rowing 1984-2000) and Daley Thompson (decathlon gold 1980-1984). But noises from LOCOG suggest it might be someone different:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9417995/London-2012-Olympics-five-athletes-may-light-flame-at-opening-ceremony.html

One of the men deciding who will light the Olympic cauldron at Friday night’s opening ceremony has given a strong hint yet that it will not be Sir Steve Redgrave or Daley Thompson.

Instead, the British Olympic Association chief executive Andy Hunt said: “It will be a wow moment,” indicating it may be the method of lighting the flame, rather than the person given the honour, that will be the defining moment of the night.

Hunt said the decision about who lit the flame had been debated with Locog chief executive Paul Deighton and had now been made.

“It is a discussion that has taken quite some time,” Hunt said. “The ceremonies committee makes a recommendation and we can support that. We have come to a mutually agreeable decision.”

So who do we think it will be?

Spareoom
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Maybe it's someone very young, not necessarily an Olympian? I could see a child; a future Olympian maybe being picked.

Or barring that, since they seem to think that the method rather than the person is the highlight, it could be something that requires a lot of training/rehearsal to execute and they couldn't pick someone ultra famous because it would be easy to suss out.

Either way, I'm curious now!

Eta: upon further thought, all signs point to the Tenth Doctor lighting the torch. ;)

milanessa
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
The Queen!!! ;)

Domshabfan
07-23-2012, 01:01 AM
James Bond

os168
07-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Sir Steve Redgrave deserve it!!! He is the ultimate Olympian!!! Epic feat, epic battles in the most grueling of endurance sport, 5 consecutive Olympics and golds over 20 years, simply incredible!!!

(Though princess Anne probably wanted to do it herself, she is really into spokesman for Olympics type of thing. I bet she felt somewhat overshadowed by her mum, her brother, her niece and nephew these last 18 month.)

Personally I want to see Mr. Bean!

skatesindreams
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
It could be something that requires a lot of training/rehearsal to execute and they couldn't pick someone ultra famous because it would be easy to suss out.

Whoever it is may have been aware of plans/rehearsing in secret for quite some time.

allezfred
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Daley Thompson has gone down a bit in my estimation after this (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0723/breaking36.html):

The BBC has apologised after former Olympian Daley Thompson commented that a tattooist who misspelled the word Olympics must have been Irish.

Thompson made his remark during Thursday's One Show after he was shown a picture of the torch bearer who had "Oylmpic torch bearer" tattooed on her arm at which point the decathlon gold-medalist said the tattooist must have been Irish.

Disappointing. :(

Loves_Shizuka
07-23-2012, 07:39 PM
My money's on everyone's favourite Brit, Margaret Thatcher.

Jayar
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Naw. I think it's the world's most famous Brit-- Madonna.

Parsley Sage
07-24-2012, 12:26 AM
The British exchange student at work thinks it will be David Beckham.

Fergus
07-24-2012, 01:05 AM
My guess was Sir Roger Bannister, but he already schlepped it a bit during it's tour of the UK.

Hmmmm, anyone know who is the oldest living British Olympic champion?

Coco
07-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Derek Redmond and his father!!!!

screech
07-24-2012, 04:20 AM
What about Princess Anne? She did compete at the Olympics, and the world is Royal crazy right now because of Will and Kate, and the Diamond Jubilee.

It definitely won't be David Beckham, though - he's said that he doesn't want to do it - that it should be an Olympic athlete to do it. He said it much more articulately and wonderfully, but it won't be him.

allezfred
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
My guess was Sir Roger Bannister, but he already schlepped it a bit during it's tour of the UK.

The organisers have stated that just because someone has already carried the torch it does not preclude them from the lighting the cauldron. Having said that I don't think it will be Bannister.

Zemgirl
07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Derek Redmond and his father!!!!
Jim Redmond has already been a torchbearer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18665062); not sure about Derek, but he has been doing a torch parade in schools (http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/former-olympian-redmond-starts-school-torch-relay-1-3996010). It would be nice to have them involved in the ceremony in some way.