PDA

View Full Version : Oven (wall oven) recommendations...?

fsfann
07-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are undertaking a major renovation in our house, and one of the things we are looking to replace is our wall oven.

I have tried googling for recommendations when it comes to ovens, but am really not having much luck.

We aren't looking for anything crazy-expensive, but also don't want a cheap oven either.

One brand that I feel has good reviews is Bosch, so I have been focusing in on those.. (Single wall ovens, not double).

Do any of you have any recommendations? Any brands to stay away from, or any brands that you woudl highly recommend?

Thanks folks!!

inthemiddle
07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Bosh is always a good choice. I have a very good experience with Miele convection wall oven.

milanessa
07-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I swear by KitchenAid. ;)

Debrah
07-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Love my Miele wall oven, too!

mag
07-21-2012, 05:52 PM
I did a fair amount of research a few years back (we ended up going for a range but,) I would have gone with the Meile ovens if we ended up with wall ovens. We did buy the Meile Speed oven instead of a regular microwave, and it is absolutely the best appliance I have ever purchased.

fsfann
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.. I'll be checking out Miele too..

cruisin
07-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I swear by KitchenAid. ;)

Me too, that's what I have. A double wall oven.

Bosch is an excellent choice as well.

Miele is also excellent, but can be $$$. Another thing with Miele is installation. We have a Miele dishwasher and it needed a new electrical set-up to install. So, if you go with Miele (and since you are doing a renovation, this should not be a problem) find out what you need as far as plugging it in. Their ovens may not need a special set-up, like the dishwasher. But, if you need to, you can have the electrician prepare for the product.

FunnyBut
07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
We did buy the Meile Speed oven instead of a regular microwave, and it is absolutely the best appliance I have ever purchased.

Could you please elaborate on why the Meile Speed is better than your average microwave?

mag
07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Could you please elaborate on why the Meile Speed is better than your average microwave?

Well, it is really more of a small regular oven with both convection and microwave bits included. You can use it like a regular microwave but you can also broil, bake, and convection bake. It also has a temperature probe that works really well for roasting a chicken. It has Miele's Master Chef system which makes it very easy to use. For example, I cook boneless chicken breasts quite a bit for salads and sandwiches. I just out them straight on the rack, push Master Chef, chicken breasts, and then the number I'm cooking, and then it cooks them perfectly. Even beeps to let you know when to turn them over.
I'm a fairly serious cook so it isn't like I can't cook chicken on my own. I just like the simplicity of it when I'm in a rush. I also like that I don't have to heat up my big oven all the time. It is especially nice in the summer when it is hot outside.

ETA It does a fabulous job of pork tenderloin as well. Perfectly done with the probe!

barbk
07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
If it is your only oven, get a standard sized wall-oven. We made the mistake of getting a 27" wall oven, and I've regretted it for 22 years. Unfortunately, the cabinets we chose won't handle anything larger now. I had to get rid of pans, can't fit two pans in the oven at the same time, have to heat holiday hams on the BBQ in order to get other foods in the oven, ...:(

mag
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
If it is your only oven, get a standard sized wall-oven. We made the mistake of getting a 27" wall oven, and I've regretted it for 22 years. Unfortunately, the cabinets we chose won't handle anything larger now. I had to get rid of pans, can't fit two pans in the oven at the same time, have to heat holiday hams on the BBQ in order to get other foods in the oven, ...:(

ITA! I wouldn't have only a speed oven (I actually have a dual oven range as well,) but if you can afford it in addition to your regular oven, the speed oven is lovely to have. I actually took my favourite roasting pan, cookie sheets, and other stuff to the show room to make sure I could fit everything I wanted in the ovens. Now I also measured all the cutlery and cereal boxes to make sure the cabinets were the right size so.... I'm a little compulsive about stuff like that!

alexikeguchi
07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
I have a Bosch double oven with convection and self-cleaning, probably about 6-7 years old now, and never had a single problem. I am 100% satisfied, and it roasts the best Thanksgiving turkey ever. Highly recommend.