PDA

View Full Version : What university course should I take?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gazpacho
07-20-2012, 04:12 AM
I work for a university, and one of the benefits is that I get to take one course (non-credit) for free each semester. I can't decide what course to take. Any suggestions?

Cachoo
07-20-2012, 04:16 AM
I am green with envy. What interests you? Science, history, art, literature etc...?

Gazpacho
07-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Well, tons of things interest me. That's why I can't decide! :)

Prancer
You get to do it non-credit? Grrr. I have to take mine for credit and subject myself to a grade.

What kinds of things do you want to do? I take things that interest me--sociology, psychology, geography, humanities, etc. Language classes are very popular. Exercise is THE most popular hands down; I do that, too, and the faculty/staff locker room is always mobbed.

vesperholly
I love art classes, especially ones like pottery, printmaking, stained glass — anything I couldn't do at home. Art classes are also less focused on grades/papers and more on the experience/creation.

I probably "need" to take a finance course, though it does not interest me in the least.

Gazpacho
07-20-2012, 04:44 AM
I love art classes, especially ones like pottery, printmaking, stained glass anything I couldn't do at home. Art classes are also less focused on grades/papers and more on the experience/creation.
I thought about that but then realized that I can take it those courses at the adult school for $200 or so. I also thought about Spanish or another foreign language, but I can take that at the adult school too.

IceAlisa
07-20-2012, 04:55 AM
I was about to say Spanish. Can't go wrong with that. And save the $200.

numbers123
07-20-2012, 05:09 AM
mpal's community college offers non-credit classes in wine/cheese tastings. Can you find one of those? :lol:

Impromptu
07-20-2012, 05:22 AM
No idea what your interests are, but if I had that kind of opportunity, I'd probably go with something like architecture - a class I never took as a Psychology & English major, but that I've always been curious about. (But my drawing skills, or lack thereof, would mean I'd be happy not to have to take it for a grade).

Angelskates
07-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Go for something totally obscure, that you would never think to take...

Gazpacho
07-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Go for something totally obscure, that you would never think to take...That's what I've been thinking too. Another thought is to take the courses that I did really poorly in during college (physics, organic chemistry) to prove to myself that I'm not really dumb in those regards. But what if I am? :lol:

vesperholly
07-20-2012, 06:41 AM
I thought about that but then realized that I can take it those courses at the adult school for $200 or so.

Oh, only $200! ;)

Gazpacho
07-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Oh, only $200! ;)Well, the free course at the university is worth about $1000, so I'd like to get my money's worth.

Lanie
07-20-2012, 07:16 AM
There's a website called Coursera where you can sign up to take online courses for free. It's pretty cool.

Angelskates
07-20-2012, 08:18 AM
You've just inspired me Gaz, and I've just enrolled to do another bachelor degree (bachelor of arts - at the moment, wanting to major in art history, but maybe politics and history, or maybe religion studies). Completely different to my previous studies (bachelor of social science, graduate diploma in primary education, masters in special education and masters in applied linguistics) and completely different to my field (working with children special needs, and their families and schools). I'm really excited! Italy really got me more interested in art and history, and when I just told my folks, they were totally unsurprised! (I actually love studying). :cheer2: Thanks for the reminder to actually do something about it!