PDA

View Full Version : "The Dark Knight Rises" -- Impressions, Thoughts?

Pages : [1] 2 3

all_empty
07-20-2012, 01:16 AM
The blockbuster opens tonight. Anyone going to a midnight screening?

I was lucky to screen it. Liked it but not as much as the second film with the brilliant Heath Ledger. My biggest peeve -- I couldn't understand a third of what Bane said.

I have a few mildly-spoilerish thoughts for people watching it tonight, but will still use spoiler tags.

Did they explain how Bruce got back into Gotham? I took a bathroom break at that point

Did Selina give off a bisexual vibe?

Blake's backstory is quite different than traditional lore, if they decide to continue with his character.

Cachoo
07-20-2012, 01:22 AM
This is an interesting time for a movie with a villain who is selective regarding his victims (not sure if I am correct on that.) I wonder how folks will react to Bane's motives. I thought it was ridiculous that Rush Limbaugh said Bane was a deliberate attack on Mitt Romney (who was ceo of Bain.) Of course Rush didn't mention that Bane was invented for the cartoon years ago.

Even if I thought the film looked awful I think the director is worth his weight in gold and would want to see it for him alone. It looks damned good imho.

Wyliefan
07-20-2012, 01:30 AM
I thought it was ridiculous that Rush Limbaugh said Bane was a deliberate attack on Mitt Romney (who was ceo of Bain.) Of course Rush didn't mention that Bane was invented for the cartoon years ago.

I listened to the clip, and that's not what he said at all. He was engaging in a bit of satire on pop culture and politics (during which he pointed out that of course the character preceded the election). But of course it was distorted all over the Web, as a lot of these things tend to be.

Re: Bane's accent, this was my favorite line from the Washington Post review (http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/movies/the-dark-knight-rises,1208568/critic-review.html): "When Batman and Bane argue, it’s like listening to a Battle of the Synthesized Voice Boxes ('I see your Christopher Plummer, sir, and raise you one Darth Vader and a Clint Eastwood!')." :lol:

orbitz
07-20-2012, 01:32 AM
What did you think of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle? I've read good things about her performance in the film. I'll catch the film sometimes in August.

all_empty
07-20-2012, 02:01 AM
I liked Anne as Selina, but not as Catwoman if that makes sense.

As Selina she was a character with some depth and motivation.

As Catwoman she was much more a caricature - a bad girl in bladed stilettos.

She looked awesome in everything she wore though.

Buzz
07-21-2012, 03:52 AM
LOVED the movie and will see it again to catch what I. Issued dung the bathroom brak. Getting that giant drink for a 3 hour moie was not a good idea. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
07-21-2012, 04:38 AM
LOVED the movie and will see it again to catch what I. Issued dung the bathroom brak. Getting that giant drink for a 3 hour moie was not a good idea. :lol:

You were issued dung during your bathroom break?:confused:

;)

Kasey
07-21-2012, 04:38 AM

Fess up, that giant drink was a margarita! ;)

walei
07-21-2012, 05:25 AM
My favorite movie out of the three and favorite movie of the year so far. Bane's voice did took a while to get use to and anyone who's familiar with the comics could see the twist that Miranda Tate is Talia Al Ghoul. But a very good wrap up to the trilogy and a really satisfying ending IMO.

Of all the hooplas around the internet criticizing Nolan for casting Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle back when it was announced, Nolan/Hathaway pulled off the character extremely well.

Buzz
07-21-2012, 10:20 AM
You were issued dung during your bathroom break?:confused:

;)

Oh my... :wideeyes:

Fess up, that giant drink was a margarita! ;)

:hat1:

Anita18
07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Looooved Hathaway as Selina! She knocked it out of the park! Totally classic Catwoman, even if her costume lacked certain details. Didn't matter. :D

Dark Knight Rises is basically Batman Begins filmed like Dark Knight. I was actually pretty surprised at how "comic book-y" it was, and yet was also very brutal at times. They take a certain image from the drug wars in Mexico...was NOT expecting them to go that far! :eek:

A very very fitting end to the trilogy. What third superhero movie curse? :lol:

danceronice
07-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I listened to the clip, and that's not what he said at all. He was engaging in a bit of satire on pop culture and politics (during which he pointed out that of course the character preceded the election). But of course it was distorted all over the Web, as a lot of these things tend to be.

Yep, what he SAID was "They're going to USE it to say it's all about Romney", and a couple Demos have actually admitted uh, yeah, actually we were gonna play on that, but now that's torpedoed in advance.

I don't believe anything in the film's intended for a future plot. I thought this was supposed to be Nolan and Bale's last Batman film. I'll probably see it, or part of it, at some point, but it's far below "The Avengers" and "Brave" on my priority list. (I tuned out when my brother brought over "Batman Begins" and fell asleep in "The Dark Knight." Honestly, I'm more interested in the GI Joe sequel.)

brina
07-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I got to see the movie yesterday. I thought it was very good. It's not as clever as TDK, but I feel like since it was the conclusion, it needed to tie things up more neatly.

I was a huge skeptic of Anne Hathaway as Seline Kyle, but she did an awesome job.

I felt like it was a good move to bring the League of Shadows back into the story, since the series started with it. However, I feel like the LoS stuff was one of the weaker areas to begin with, so the material and character motivations were not as strong.

Overall though, it was a great movie. The acting was great, and it was a great conclusion to the trilogy.

Buzz
07-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Just wanted to add that Joesph Gordon Hewitt was also fantastic. Loved him in a cop's uniform. He's looked GOOD, but as soon as he put on a suit he went back to looking like a kid. LOL

Blake's backstory is quite different than traditional lore, if they decide to continue with his character.

I would love that. But unfortunately the studio I believe have said that this is the last Batman movie.

DAngel
07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I love the boy's rendition of the anthem... what an amazing voice. :kickass:

I also love Hathaway as Selina/Catwoman. She (and Nolan) proved the doubters wrong :rollin:

I wish the police officers had looked a bit/acted more worn down after being cooped up in a hole for months...

I also wish there were more Alfred :<