PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44

aftershocks
10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Generally agree with you, PRLady, and also with many of your comments too Matryeshka.

all_empty, it really would have been interesting re your dream three. I think Elena has a lot of talent but she didn't work well under the PR format. It is ironic how she got by with some bad outfits during the season but was auf'ed for a not too bad baby outfit. I believe Elena's Final Collection did make a great impact for a runway show, and I really wonder what the judges thought of it. Too bad they don't have the judges at least eventually discuss online or in a wrap-up show the Final Collections of designers who don't make the top three.

Interesting that the judges conflicted slightly on likes and dislikes for the avant garde challenge. I guess not surprising that they decided to let four designers duke it out for final three.

Sonjia had some very good looks this season (at least 3 wins), but I agree that she doesn't seem to have a signature style and she had some misses too during the season. She took going home in stride (maybe because she did have a chance to put a show on the runway, tho' it won't be seen by tv viewers). I didn't think her avant garde outfit was that bad (tho' the mesh was odd and it didn't match the model's skin color). Also the green color and some of the design details perhaps made it seem a bit tacky. Heidi probably liked it because of the sexy fit. :lol:

I love Dimitri, and I'm happy he won the final challenge. He has a lot of talent, wit, great construction skills, and a well-balanced personality. I wish he would win the whole shebang, but it will probably be Chris (based on the Final Collections I've seen). Hard to know tho' because seeing slides on the Internet is not the same as actually seeing the models/ designs in the full runway show, or at least seeing the models move down the runway on tv.

I agree with the judges' re Chris' avant garde outfit (he overdid it), but the judges do hold him in high esteem. Fabio had an interesting jacket, but the rest was boring. I don't think he's as strong a designer overall as either Melissa or Sonjia, but perhaps he has a stronger aesthetic than Sonjia. Melissa's avant garde outfit was one of the better ones for this challenge, but I agree with the judges re her skirt length. I do think the final five were the best designers of the season, altho' Elena and Ven are also very talented.

skatesindreams
10-05-2012, 03:01 PM
It was clear to me that Christopher and Dmitri are the stars of this season.

A deserved "top two"; although I hope that Dmitry wins the whole thing.

Dmitry's look was beautifully constructed.
Very fashion-forward and sophisticated; yet not so "far-out" as to be unwearable.
How/why the judges call him a "one note" designer; when they claim to want winners with skill, a POV, and the ability to construct a cohesive collection, I can't understand.

The only piece of Melissa's look that I liked was the leather jacket.

I don't find Fabio avant-garde at all.
Most of the time, he seems confused, with sloppy execution.
Even the jacket they raved about was a "mistake".

Sonjia's dress might have worked in a different fabric.
That particular fabric, with the mesh that didn't match the skintone of the model, looked "tacky", not what she was aiming for.

manleywoman
10-05-2012, 03:08 PM
That particular fabric, with the mesh that didn't match the skintone of the model, looked "tacky", not what she was aiming for.

I think if it had been in the gold fabric she lost, it would have been 180 degrees better. That green looked like napkins and tablecloths, as Kors pointed out.

TheGirlCanSkate
10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Do you think we will see Christopher's feathered arms on the next Black Swan skating costume?

aftershocks
10-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Very fashion-forward and sophisticated; yet not so "far-out" as to be unwearable.
How/why the judges call him a "one note" designer; when they claim to want winners with skill, a POV, and the ability to construct a cohesive collection, I can't understand.

The only piece of Melissa's look that I liked was the leather jacket.

I don't find Fabio avant-garde at all.
Most of the time, he seems confused, with sloppy execution.
Even the jacket they raved about was a "mistake".

Agree with most of your viewpoints, especially re the judges' clueless comments re hoping Dimitri would not bring "the same designs one after the other down the runway"! Dimitri definitely has range and versatility, and he has shown it. Perhaps earlier on in the challenges he kept it simple with beautifully constructed dresses as a strategy because of the limited time/ nature of the competition. In any case, every one of Dimitri's dresses were wearable works of art! He has a lot of style and sensitivity! Dimitri really made the show a hit for me this season. Even as the judges gave Dimitri the win for the final challenge, they were dissing him!?

Laura Bennett's blog is eye-opening -- much worse than I imagined. It's a wonder these designers have any energy left to be inspired and imaginative enough to put together anything for a runway show.

I think if it had been in the gold fabric she lost, it would have been 180 degrees better. That green looked like napkins and tablecloths, as Kors pointed out.

ITA! The gold fabric really looked beautiful. Strange about Sonjia not making sure her main fabric of choice was in her bag when she left Mood.

Aceon6
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
ITA! The gold fabric really looked beautiful. Strange about Sonjia not making sure her main fabric of choice was in her bag when she left Mood.

I doubt it was even rung up. If it had been, I suspect the producers would have made sure it got to her. Given the time constraint to get to the register, she may have left it at the cutting table. If she did, that was her mistake.

danceronice
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Except...that was the avant-garde challenge. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be wearable. I thought they all were pretty 'meh' on that mark (remember that dress from the season with Chris March with the GIGANTIC collar? THAT was avant garde.) If you're supposed to go for crazy, go for crazy, not a rejected costume design from Resident Evil. Dmitry could have gone WAY bigger and in something other than navy blue.

I had to give the "black swan" the win (if the judges think THAT'S Victorian, they all fail fashion history FOREVER) as it was the only design that even tried to be outre without looking cheap. In fact I liked it from the minute she hit the pose behind the scrim--yes, there was an element of 'Charlize in 'Snow White and the Huntsman' but at least he was trying. I like Sonjia's IDEA, but it never quite came together. I did not get the love for Melissa's--it looked cheap and thrown-together and while I see where she got the colors from the makeup, they made no sense to me as-used. Fabio's reminded me of a weirdly covered-up take on April ("Bobek") and her black hot pants aesthetic.

ETA: I looked up Dmitry on dancesportinfo--he either never competed at a level where they'd track it, or his name's spelled differently.

skatesindreams
10-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Too many designers interpret/define avant-garde as weird.
What I liked about Dmitry's look is that he didn't...and it wasn't.

susan6
10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Except...that was the avant-garde challenge. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be wearable. I thought they all were pretty 'meh' on that mark (remember that dress from the season with Chris March with the GIGANTIC collar? THAT was avant garde.) If you're supposed to go for crazy, go for crazy, not a rejected costume design from Resident Evil. Dmitry could have gone WAY bigger and in something other than navy blue.

That was a great season, and that set of designers knew avant garde. Chris March and Christian Siriano were teamed up and Chris brought the huge almost-drag collar and Christian brought the miles of fabric (and their model even brought the avant garde pose). If I recall correctly, Jillian and her partner made a jacket that was amazing.

I love me some Dmitry, but he should have gone bigger for this challenge. Dude, you had "wise mystic", throw some flowing robes on that b*tch! Kors was right, he's too "severe". (Which probably means the judges are secretly referring to him as Severus Snape, much like the rest of the internet.)

Fergus
10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Too many designers interpret/define avant-garde as weird.

IMHO, they need to get rid of the avant-garde challenges, as very few designers each season can actually grasp the concept and make something that is indeed a-v. (Or perhaps try it earlier in the season, to really separate the neophytes from the pros? I dunno......)

Fabio's jacket was conceptually interesting, though completely unflattering. The underdress was just creepy and sad.

I like Melissa's outfit when it finally got to the runway and it moved beautifully....but a-v? You could basically find that stuff already at Barney's.

Dmitry and Christopher clearly had the best designs of the episode......but again, a-v? Hmmmmm.....

Sonjia. :( LOVE her personality, greatly respect her passion for design, but that green ensemble was God-awful hideous. :yikes: Michael was VERY snippy in his judgment, but he was right about the haphazard placement of the boob-napkins and the illusion back that just harshly cuts right across at the waist.

duane
10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Except...that was the avant-garde challenge. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be wearable.
This is what I thought right when his outfit hit the runway. I don't think anyone would know this was an avant-garde challenge looking at most of the designs, but especially Dmitry's.

aftershocks
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I love me some Dmitry, but he should have gone bigger for this challenge. Dude, you had "wise mystic", throw some flowing robes on that b*tch! Kors was right, he's too "severe". (Which probably means the judges are secretly referring to him as Severus Snape, much like the rest of the internet.)

Earlier on the judges said Dimitri was too conservative, now he's too severe. I disagree re too severe, except for the eye makeup he used on his Runway Collection models. :confused: In any case, Dimitri may have taken the criticisms to heart and unfortunately edged toward "trashy" re a couple of his final runway designs. But still I love him and his work this season.

PRlady
10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Well, I thought Dmitri wuzrobbed on the Lord & Taylor episode, certainly should have won, and I was completely tied on the Rockettes episode. So I'm pulling for him now, but apparently his runway collection (from what I remember) was not as stellar.

It reminds me of Viktor, whom I thought was the clear winner all through his season, particularly the last six or so challenges, and then came up short with his final collection.

skatesindreams
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
The judges send too many mixed messages to the designers.
I wonder sometimes if they really understand some of the concepts/tasks the contestants are expected to execute.

aftershocks
10-06-2012, 12:17 AM
^^ ITA, skatesindreams. And yep PRLady, I agree there were several challenges Dimitri should have won or at least been in the top three and he was declared "safe" instead. Anyway "coming up short" does seem to happen to a lot of designers who appear to be the clear winners during the season.

Mychael Knight in season 3 comes to mind. Also, Korto in season 5 (altho' Korto did create an excellent collection, she lost in the end to Leanne). I think the difficulties some top designers experience in creating a great runway show are partly due to the intense criticism they receive throughout the series in addition to the wearying, time-limited nature of the challenges, particularly as described in Laura Bennett's blog.

In season 8, Gretchen should have lost to Mondo. ;)