PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

danceronice
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Who can't wear an open-back dress? Especially one with the cutout so high. If anything that saves it from being too closed up and shows a little skin without being slutty. And sleeves, hallelujah. (The world needs about 99% fewer sleeveless dresses, and 100% fewer sleeveless strapless wedding dresses.) The skirt's a lot more wearable than Bert's, which I do like in general, and a little less matronly than Chris's (which I can only assume feels more luxe in person, because on the L&T website it reads kind of beach-mumu-y.) Slots neatly between the other two long gowns in the collection, which is otherwise overloaded with either skintight or A-line cocktail dresses in largely muted colors (except Nick's bright blue.) They already have a tight structural gray one.

(And yes, I'd buy it, except I can tell even without trying it on it would have the same problem every single off-the-rack dress does for me, the waist would be somewhere around my high hip because I'm extremely short-waisted. I basically have to have someone make me a formal or have a dress completely taken apart and altered.)

my little pony
09-01-2012, 12:05 AM
there's no place for a bra and it doesnt look supportive enough in the front for anyone with more than an a cup. those little cutlet bras people stick on dont work for me.

Matryeshka
09-01-2012, 05:09 AM
I would have been OK with them not declaring a loser had they also not declared a winner. I would have made them do the challenge over again. With the exception of Dmitri, the dresses were funeral, futuristic funeral, and done before.

Christopher's dress bored me and honestly, I don't know where you would wear it. It wasn't fun or flirty or sexy enough to be a cocktail dress. It wasn't spectacular or special or glamorous enough to wear to an event where a long dress would be called for. It was stuck completely in the middle. Unless you're Meryl Streep trying to dress decently for the Oscars or to a night garden party for Elton John in the 80s, where in the hell would you wear that? Since this was one of the practicality challenges, I think that should have been a major component.

I didn't particularly like his dress, but if Dmitry couldn't have won, it should have been Fabio. At least his dress could be accessorized up or down (which IMO is the great advantage of cocktail dresses) and could be worn by a lot of different women of different sizes and ages to different functions.

I am also going to reiterate for the millionth time on the PR threads until I get my way :tantrum: PR needs to have two different shows: one that's editorial/fashion forward with the core three as judges, and one that's ready-to-wear/practical with judges not from the high-fashion world.

Nomad
09-01-2012, 02:14 PM
What a disappointing episode. Comrade Snape gets robbed yet again; Elena makes a hideous mess and gets praised for it; Melissa gets in the top 4 for something that maybe 5% of the female population can wear; Alicia proves once again that dresses aren't her thing (why did she even apply?); Christopher wins for a boring dress using a technique he shouldn't have used again (and he knew it before he started!)....meh. And all that black...They should have a challenge where the designers are forbidden to use black.

Reuven
09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, from what I could see, they had a small collection of fabric from which to choose.

skatesindreams
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
They were,
The manufacturer supplied the fabrics available to them.

shan
09-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Really? Melissa's side peep show dress was in the top? Elena's 'dress' looked like a garbage bag wrapped in pleather and was in the top? Snape goes into the back as safe? I call producer shenanigans!

And how the hell does Christoper win with that crappy feathered mess that tossed a skinny model's boobs down to her waist? Ugh. :scream:

I am happy with Ven getting tossed into the back with what used to drive the judges into spasms. Have the feeling that with the way he treated last week's 'plus' sized real woman that no female over skeleton size would wear his 'twist by a rose' tired design.

ITA!!

Christopher's dress was blah to me. I felt so bad for the model having to be shown on tv with her boobs down to her waist.

Fabio's designs are meh, he bores me. Why was he wearing a wreath of flowers on his head? I think that might be more interesting than any of his designs so far. :slinkaway

And Ven did that stupid twisty thing AGAIN???

Elena's dress was not attractive. It looked like she belted a piece of black material, cut out the back and had the model wear a sports bra. :yikes:

I'm worried about Snape being put in a group with Elena and Alicia. Neither has been that great. I hope he didn't choose them. :scream:

Nomad
09-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Of course he did. Fabrigami is his trademark. That (and the fact that he is a man) makes him a "strong designer". :rolleyes:

Elena's dress was not attractive. It looked like she belted a piece of black material, cut out the back and had the model wear a sports bra. :yikes:

That dress was just heinous. Ugly, bulky, sloppy, stiff...what woman in her right mind would want to wear that? And why did the judges call that mess "fun, young, etc."? :confused:

I'm worried about Snape being put in a group with Elena and Alicia. Neither has been that great. I hope he didn't choose them. :scream:

Do the producers have some kind of hate-on for Comrade Snape? They must, although I can't think why. And I can't imagine that he would have chosen either Alicia or Elena as team-mates. Alicia seems to have no obvious strengths (tailoring, construction, pattern-making, etc.) and Elena has already proved that not only is she not a team player, but has an unwearable aesthetic, and is an uncompromising, batshit crazy drama queen to boot.

danceronice
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
there's no place for a bra and it doesnt look supportive enough in the front for anyone with more than an a cup. those little cutlet bras people stick on dont work for me.

Halter straps (VS has at least two bras with change-out straps for open-back gowns) or just have one sewn in. Easy fix. A LOT easier than the bodyhugging cocktails, which can only be worn by a size 0-2 without looking bad, IF she doesn't have much in the way of hips. (And sometimes not even then-some of these designers make the clothes so tight you can see what the model ate for breakfast.)

Good to wear for any event for a full-length dress if you're someone who doesn't want shiny fabric or something you can't sit in. I could have used it for my vacation for the formal evening (I ended up having a gown made because I couldn't find anything I liked.)

my little pony
09-01-2012, 09:10 PM
i havent found any of those sort of bras to fit well in the front so far. but even if it did, i still think it looks like a formal dress for the prom at the salem witch trials.

skatesindreams
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
The "Hunger Games" analogy, upthread, applies.

aftershocks
09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Ahhh, Dimitry (Comrade Snape) ... I hope you win it all. Dimitry is by far the most consistent designer. He should have won at least twice by now. And, he should have been in the top at least two or three times when he was called "safe."

I hope Snape triumphs over what looks like a bad teaming for him in the next challenge.

ITA with the poster who said that Fabio is looking like a dark horse.

My faves are Dimitry, Chris and Sonji (altho' she seems to be falling apart), so alternatively Melissa and Fabio.

FiveRinger
09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Poor Dmitry. His dress was the clear winner, by far. Why can't the judges see what we see? They're pissing me off......next week looks like it's going to be an absolute disaster and if he gets ousted before Elena and/or Alicia I won't be watching anymore.

Christopher's dress looks like something like Lady Grantham might have slept in. It was horrible and how it won remains a mystery.

I like Melissa's idea, but it wasn't well executed.

Ven's dress was just strange......that flower looked like a growth coming out of her chest.

Fabio's was ok......the only other dress that should have been in the top.

The drama with Songi....uhhh....that suit looked so matronly.

Elena's looked really strange from the back, almost like a suit of armor. I didn't like this at all.....what were the judges thinking?

Alicia should have gone home weeks ago. Gunnar's wasn't all that bad. I thought there were worse.

Nomad
09-01-2012, 11:37 PM
I'd have sent Elena home. Alicia's dress was bad, but at least it didn't add 40 lbs to the model. And I could see that she was trying do a sports-type update of Chanel ca. 1925. Elena didn't really know what she was going for and it showed. Gunnar's dress was a whole lot of nothing - a mini-tube dress with a lace overlay. Yawn. The only thing I remember about Sonjia's dress is that it had a gray peplum.

Rob
09-02-2012, 02:47 PM

At least it looked well made. I do not understand the fascination with Christopher
's messy shreddy thing again and again.

Dmitry was totally robbed of the win.