PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

emason
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Seriously. PR is pretty predictable, really. If you do menswear, practice making a red carpet gown in 12 hours or less. Never made lingerie or swimwear before? Try it out so you at least have a clue. Make a trip to Mood and learn the layout of the store. You might not have to resort to a fabric you've never worked with before but chose because it was the right color and you only had five shopping minutes left. /sermon.

Re: Making a trip to Mood, that's a good idea in theory, but if you are not from NY, exactly when are you supposed to have the opportunity to go?

Tesla
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Re: Making a trip to Mood, that's a good idea in theory, but if you are not from NY, exactly when are you supposed to have the opportunity to go?

Yeah, going to Mood is probably out of the question, but perhaps practicing at a local fabric shop.

Rogue
08-28-2012, 05:21 PM

If you don't have the ability to arrive in NYC a day or two early, you can always review and memorize the floor plan on their website:
http://www.moodfabrics.com/index.php?file=aboutus

aftershocks
08-28-2012, 06:35 PM
^^ Good idea -- some smart minds here. Maybe some designers are great creatively but not so smart strategy-wise? But yeah, truthfully read past designer blogs and look at all of the past seasons on DVD, if you are that eager to be on the show. There may be more designers prepared to actually do well on the show than actually get the chance to be selected.

OTOH, I'm sure the producers like to foster the environment for lots of :drama: -- it's just part of what they think is the catchy entertainment value (which may be true, but only to a point). I for one, do not think the show ever handles the seemingly requisite "throw other designers under the bus" questioning that well. I applaud all the designers who find creative ways to avoid being nasty to their fellow contestants (unless in the case of Ven, a designer happens to deserve being thrown under the bus ;)).

Vagabond
08-28-2012, 10:14 PM
With the exception of Season 1 and All Stars, I think they've done a "Dress a Non-Model" challenge every season. After 9 seasons aspiring contestants should know going in that they will have to do this at some point. Likewise, they should know that they will be expected to:

Make a look in one day
Make a look using food/plants/hardware/recycling/etc.
Make a second look/accessory at the last minute
Make something they don't normally make - stage costume, skating dress, bathing suit, menswear, uniform, children's clothes, whatever
Make an outfit/collection as part of a pair/team

You would think that they would have that down, right? Or at least practice at home while watching and say, "Hmmmmm.....if this was my challenge what would I do?" By now, all of them should even have whole wardrobes planned for Nina and Heidi too. Or at least have some idea what the judges like/don't like at this point. Is anybody paying attention?

Seriously. PR is pretty predictable, really. If you do menswear, practice making a red carpet gown in 12 hours or less. Never made lingerie or swimwear before? Try it out so you at least have a clue. Make a trip to Mood and learn the layout of the store. You might not have to resort to a fabric you've never worked with before but chose because it was the right color and you only had five shopping minutes left. /sermon.

I think maybe it was mentioned in the thread before, but maybe not. Tim Gunn told Jon Stewart on a Daily Show appearance that many of this season's designers arrived just certain that they really got a week or so to make everything and that the one or two day thing was just made up for television.

I don't know how they could be so stupid about it. Just read the blogs by former contestants on the Lifetime site and it is pretty clear that it really is just a day or two.

I have watched only one episode so far this season, but based on that episode and the few episodes I've watched from other seasons, I doubt that the show casts "students" of Project Runway in the way that we sometimes get to see "students" of, say, Survivor. In my experience, the kind of people who make up the bulk of the cast every season aren't likely to pay attention to things like this and then plan and prepare for them. And people who do probably get screened out during the casting process. :shuffle:

danceronice
08-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks, FSU. I know he has a real name, but now all I can think of is "Designer Snape."

my little pony
08-31-2012, 02:47 AM
"i dont get it, i dont wanna get it, i dont like her"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

peibeck
08-31-2012, 02:54 AM
There's a lot of fugly fashion in this challenge. :shuffle:

Tesla
08-31-2012, 03:06 AM
Dimitry always gets robbed.

my little pony
08-31-2012, 03:07 AM

is he not in the top 4? i love his

Tesla
08-31-2012, 03:09 AM
is he not in the top 4? i love his

He's safe.

ETA Melissa's one of the higher scores?! :wideeyes: It's a wrinkled hot mess!

my little pony
08-31-2012, 03:11 AM
i saw christopher's dress on leonore annenberg 20 yrs ago. i would put snape over christopher and fabio but i guess that it will be sold in l & t is factored in.

Sparks
08-31-2012, 03:13 AM

My feelings as well.

my little pony
08-31-2012, 03:15 AM
elena beat snape too? when her model walked, the construction seemed lacking. there was a weird thing going on with the fabric over the butt and the boobs are just hanging in thise fabric quadrants, you dont see it as much standing still but you see it when she walks.

(((snape)))

duane
08-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Oh wow, that was so shocking...NOT! :rolleyes: