PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Puts Caltech on Probation

Vagabond
07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Caltech Gives New Meaning to ‘Academically Ineligible’ (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sports/caltech-ncaa-case-gives-new-meaning-to-academically-ineligible.html?_r=1)

:skandal

The N.C.A.A. determined that a total of 30 Caltech athletes on 12 teams practiced or played in games while academically ineligible from the 2007-08 to 2010-11 academic years. But most of the infractions, which were discovered and reported by Athletic Director Betsy Mitchell in 2011, were the result of Caltech’s unusual class registration system.

During the first three weeks of each trimester, students at Caltech, the academically rigorous college in Pasadena, take part in a process known as shopping, in which they are allowed to essentially sample classes before being required to register for them. Rod Kiewiet, Caltech’s dean of undergraduate students, said many students stayed in these classes for the entire term, but they, like so many college students, sometimes procrastinated.

“A very large number of them have already picked out their classes, and they’re going to the classes,” Kiewiet said. “They just don’t get registered until the deadline.”

If students are not officially registered for enough classes during this three-week period, they can be considered part-time students, and part-time students are ineligible to compete in N.C.A.A. events.

Caltech’s penalties include a one-year postseason ban for sports in which ineligible players competed, a one-year ban on off-campus recruiting, three years of probation and a $5,000 penalty.

Also, Caltech’s sports information department will soon meet with the N.C.A.A. to determine which wins and records the university must vacate. There was brief concern that the men’s basketball team’s 46-45 win over Occidental in 2011, which ended the 310-game conference losing streak, would be overturned. But no ineligible players were used in that game.

:wall: :rolleyes: :scream:

I do believe that I have lost all respect for the NCAA.

Heaven forbid that a student should attend more classes without already being registered for them.

UMBS Go Blue
07-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I was opening the thread half expecting Caltech to be on probation for its players wearing pocket protectors to court and having GPAs greater than 1.9. :shuffle:

maatTheViking
07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
So they put Caltech on probabtion for a technicality, but not Penn state for turning the deaf ear to (the worst kind of) criminal activity? hmm...

BigB08822
07-18-2012, 07:22 PM
This was not a wise move by the NCAA. If they are going to punish something like this then what possible choice do they have for Penn State other than to give the football program the death penalty? They may have just backed themselves into a corner.

manleywoman
07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
This was not a wise move by the NCAA. If they are going to punish something like this then what possible choice do they have for Penn State other than to give the football program the death penalty? They may have just backed themselves into a corner.

Here's hoping.

centerstage01
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Please. The NCAA is a dictatorship unto themselves. They've more than likely already been paid off to give Penn State a slap on the wrist. Caltech obviously didn't cough up enough cash.

milanessa
07-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Please. The NCAA is a dictatorship unto themselves. They've more than likely already been paid off to give Penn State a slap on the wrist.

And what do you have to say now? :rolleyes:

bardtoob
07-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I was opening the thread half expecting Caltech to be on probation for its players wearing pocket protectors to court and having GPAs greater than 1.9. :shuffle:

I'm certain any student at Caltech with a 1.9 GPA (D+/C- average) probably knows more about the material of their classes than B-/B students at most schools :lol:

It wouldn't shock me if Oxy had something to do with this, from the way it sounds, as they probably need at least one good sport to keep the alumni happy (donating) while Caltech, much like Cal, doesn't since that is not part of the student body's identity nor the schools brand, although it is nice to win once in a while.

centerstage01
07-28-2012, 09:16 AM
And what do you have to say now? :rolleyes:

If you go to the Penn State thread you'll see what I had to say. :rolleyes: