PDA

View Full Version : Diving

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29

Choupette
08-11-2012, 10:41 PM
At the 2000 Olympic Games, Emilie Heymans from Canada, then 18, said after her own 10m competition that she had been bothered by a flash before one of her dive (I wonder if it wasn't the one starting in a handstand, but I'm not 100% sure). She said after the competition that she should have immediately signaled the problem after her dive, but she didn't have much experience at the time and for some reason, didn't do it. She finished 5th and was in the running for the medals.

So while it's the first time I actually see it, apparently a flash is indeed a good reason do get to dive again. ;) Only Daley knows exactly what happened, but I have no problem giving him the benefit of the doubt. In this competition, he probably was the diver the crowd was the most likely to take pictures of.

He won the bronze and was 29 points ahead of the 4th place diver. Take off 14 points from his score and he would still have been 3rd by 15 points. The diver following Daley's second dive was Boudia and his dive was excellent, as were the dives from the following divers. I was very thankful for that. I really don't think it had an impact on the final results.

morqet
08-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes, but then he got a huge score on his second attempt. Who knows if he would have been able to perform so well throughout had the original score counted. And as for having to perform 7 dives instead of 6 - I bet if you gave the option of re-doing a mediocre dive to any diver, they'd take it, and to hell with the hardship of having to perform an extra dive. :lol:

I don't understand why you're acting like he was given some unfair advantage, the rule is:

D 6.14 In exceptional circumstances, the Referee may allow a diver to repeat a dive without penalty. The awards for the first dive must be noted should a protest be lodged.

And if you go further through FINA case studies for circumstances for allowing a re-dive, it can be for something as simple as "unusually slippery surface."

Spectators are asked before the event not to use flash photography, if they ignore this requirement it's perfectly legitimate for the diver to request a re-dive. If you look at the super slo-mo replay, you can see the point where many flashes went off at once & Daley immediately beginning to lose his shape. Having flashes go off when you're twisting at that speed is hugely disorientating, and any diver who had to face the level of camera flash Daley did on his first dive is perfectly justified in requesting a re-dive.

BigB08822
08-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Anyone complaining about Daley getting a re-dive is just full of sour grapes. He won the bronze with or without the re-dive and to start playing the card that it changed his mental game is just really really pushing it. It is clearly in the rules so there is nothing more to say about it.

A.H.Black
08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Spectators are asked before the event not to use flash photography, if they ignore this requirement it's perfectly legitimate for the diver to request a re-dive. If you look at the super slo-mo replay, you can see the point where many flashes went off at once & Daley immediately beginning to lose his shape. Having flashes go off when you're twisting at that speed is hugely disorientating, and any diver who had to face the level of camera flash Daley did on his first dive is perfectly justified in requesting a re-dive.

The obvious question is - Can/Should the ISU adopt a new rule for figure skaters who are blinded by a flash?

Lorac
08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
I think :D :D :D Daley :D :D :D was happier than Boudia

:cheer2:

I was so happy for Tom and he was over the moon - the pressure he was under and the emotional hell he has been trhough in the past year is something none of us could understand. I lost my father last year as well and know how hard it is to not have that support and nurturing when you most need it.

He pushed through it, had an awful qualifying, came back, pulled himself together and won that bronze!! The re-dive was perfectly allowable due to the insane amount of flashes going off that could have caused him injury. The crowd just wanted to support him and many did not realise how distracting and disorienting the flashes could be - even though they had been told to not use them prior to the event. After that incident the flashes just seemed to stop dead!!

Congrats to Boudia - he dove amazing and deserved the win. Qiu was heartbroken - I assume we won't see him diving for China again they seem to get a new rotation of swimmers each Olympic cycle. I hope he will be OK.

Still great competition - congrats to all the divers for making such an amazing competition :respec::cheer2::cheer:

barbk
08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
The obvious question is - Can/Should the ISU adopt a new rule for figure skaters who are blinded by a flash?

That would be, say, all of them. :(

Cachoo
08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I hope Qui will be ok--I don't whether I should be more worried about his state of mind or about the state of mind of the people he answers to after competitions.

mrinalini
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't understand why you're acting like he was given some unfair advantage, the rule is:

D 6.14 In exceptional circumstances, the Referee may allow a diver to repeat a dive without penalty. The awards for the first dive must be noted should a protest be lodged.

And if you go further through FINA case studies for circumstances for allowing a re-dive, it can be for something as simple as "unusually slippery surface."

If it's well within the rules for Daley to protest, then I'll get off his case on that. From what I saw, the coach immediately went to protest after Daley had finished diving. I did not see Daley complaining to the coach first and then both of them going to talk to the official. It makes me wonder if the coach inferred that the flashes were a problem on Daley's behalf, and whether there would have been any request for a re-dive if the coach had kept quiet.

I still blame the officials for allowing the re-dive because of "exceptional circumstances". As I said, divers have to deal with flash photography all the time - I have been to non-Olympic diving events (the 1998 Commonwealth Games, for one) and seen flashes going off all over the place and never once have I seen a diver ask for a re-dive if he/she performed poorly. I saw the slow-mo replay, and I think you're inferring too much by saying that Daley must have lost his shape because of the flashes. I guess the flashes must have been bothering him yesterday then, too, when he performed a couple of craptacular dives during prelims.

If little girls are expected to maintain their composure on the balance beam when all manner of distractions are going on around them, I expect male divers to be able to do the same. Bottom line for me is that it just feels wrong to have anyone medal (thankfully, Daley didn't win here) when they have been able to entirely wipe out a fumble or mistake or whatever that might have completely put them out of contention had the failed element counted.

floskate
08-11-2012, 11:53 PM
It's very clear upon watching the event that Tom immediately comes out of the water and motions flashes with his hands to his coach. No drama here, move on people :)

BigB08822
08-11-2012, 11:55 PM
:rolleyes: Things are not always black and white and just because YOU have a hard time imagining such a situation does not mean it can't happen to others.

Loves_Shizuka
08-11-2012, 11:58 PM
The :drama: is over. Move on.

mrinalini
08-12-2012, 12:09 AM
The :drama: is over. Move on.

Oh, I have. I wouldn't have had Daley won, but since no one else really stepped up to the plate and challenged for the bronze, I can accept Daley placing third. I would love for Guerra to have medalled because he performed all his dives beautifully and this is very likely his last Olympics, but then again he didn't have the difficulty.

Once again, I don't think Daley is in the wrong for asking for a re-dive if he really felt that the flashes had impeded him during the initial dive. I do, however, think that the officials shouldn't have allowed the do-over because I don't consider flash photography to fall under the category of "exceptional circumstances".

jlai
08-12-2012, 12:40 AM
On my way home today, I was already thinking that the American or Brit would take this
I wasnt so wrong. :)

I feel for Qiu but going by the score, I dont consider Qiu as succumbing under pressure or anything. He had a consistently good compeition. On another day it could have been gold.

Buzz
08-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Congratulations to Boudia on winning gold! What did this guy have for lunch?! The difference between the prelims and finals is huge. And also congratulations to the other medalists. It was so adorable to see the Brits so happy with bronze they all jumped into the pool! :lol:

Rob
08-12-2012, 01:32 AM

Or a hamburger.