PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last Olympic Champion to fall in the LP (at the same Olympics they won)?

Pages : [1] 2 3

blue_idealist
07-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Who was the last Olympic Champion to fall in their long program at that same Olympics that they received the gold medal at? This is something that just popped in my head a few minutes ago, and I've been racking my brains but I can't remember for sure. I was thinking Mishkutenok/Dmitriev in 1992, but I can't remember if they actually fell in their LP or if one of them just doubled something - I just remember a major error. Anyway, does anyone know for any/all of the disciplines?

asdf334
07-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Yamaguchi for the ladies.

Vagabond
07-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Yamaguchi didn't fall. She put her hand down on her triple loop and narrowly escaped falling.

Mishkutenok & Dmitriev didn't fall either.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that if any singles champion fell in the Free, it was back when Compulsories counted for sixty percent of the final score. Magda Mauroy-Julin finished fourth in the Free in 1920, so she's a possibility.

It could be that no victorious pair fell in the Free. Prior to 1968, there was no Pairs Short Program, so I rather doubt any of the gold medalists before then fell.

As near as I can remember, none of the gold medalists in Ice Dance fell in the Free.

blue_idealist
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
I know the last MEDALISTS who fell were Takahashi and Savchenko/Szolkowy, but they were bronze. I think the last silver medalists who had a fall were the Zhangs in '06. I can't remember if Lambiel fell in '06 as well. I THINK Sasha did.

MR-FAN
07-17-2012, 07:00 AM
It's debatable, but I consider Kristi's mistake on the loop to be a fall, and Viktor Petrenko's mistake on his 2nd 3-axel to also be a fall, both in 1992

taf2002
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I know the last MEDALISTS who fell were Takahashi and Savchenko/Szolkowy, but they were bronze. I think the last silver medalists who had a fall were the Zhangs in '06. I can't remember if Lambiel fell in '06 as well. I THINK Sasha did.

Sasha fell twice in 2006.

kwanatic
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Sasha fell twice in 2006.

One was fall but that mistake on the flip was about as close as you get to a fall without actually sitting down on it. I'm sure it probably got -3 across the board though so it hurt as much as a fall...

Triple Butz
07-18-2012, 03:20 AM
One was fall but that mistake on the flip was about as close as you get to a fall without actually sitting down on it. I'm sure it probably got -3 across the board though so it hurt as much as a fall...
But she only got one -1.00 fall deduction.

Not in the FS, but Sale and Pelletier both technically fell in the sp ;)

SkateBlades17
07-18-2012, 04:54 AM
It's debatable, but I consider Kristi's mistake on the loop to be a fall, and Viktor Petrenko's mistake on his 2nd 3-axel to also be a fall, both in 1992

I agree.

nyrak
07-18-2012, 07:31 AM

The Zhangs fall in 06 is one of the worst I've seen. They turned it into one of my most memorable skates ever. Thanks for the reminder, gonna find it on youtube now.

AndyWarhol
07-18-2012, 10:00 AM

hahah, I laughed at THINK. haha.

Mafke
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
IIRC the only really clean singles medalist at Albertville (1992) was Paul Wylie.

In other words, the first post figures olympics delivered one of the messiest set of medalists in history. Probably not what they were hoping for...

antmanb
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Yagudin had a very wonky triple flip in his winning LP but I don't think he put a hand or foot down.

Susan M
07-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Mishkutenok & Dmitriev didn't fall either.

Right, they had no falls in either Olympics, SP or FS.
In the 92 free, they did have errors on two jumping passes in the FS, but neither was at all disruptive to the presentation. On the SBS 3 toes, Natalia came out forward (2 1/2 rotations) and stepped onto the correct edge. She also singled the planned 2A. This was part of the reason they wanted to reinstate and compete again in 94. They had won but were left slightly dissatisfied with their performance. At Lilehammer, all their jumping passes were clean.

nylynnr
07-18-2012, 10:33 PM
IIRC the only really clean singles medalist at Albertville (1992) was Paul Wylie.

While he certainly deserved his medal, Wylie's performance was not "really clean." He stepped out of a few jumps, in particular the triple Salchow, never a strong jump for him. As noted earlier, he didn't do a clean combination. I've always thought it a bit ironic that his Olympic lp performance is hailed as a miracle, when it isn't all that dissimilar from what he did in Orlando that year.