PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #12

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

mkats
07-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Some stuff from Betty Okino (http://www.onedropwithinthewave.com/betty-okino.php). Interesting story about the Karolyis.

BigB08822
07-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Why does Okino go by another name? I had to quit reading because of all the religious crap she was spouting but whatever makes her happy, I suppose. She seemed to take some digs at Bela in the part I read but also gave them a lot of credit.

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 02:45 AM
I love how we're on thread #12 just in time for the 2012 Olympics. :). We will probably be on threads 13 and 14 by the time it's over.. :shuffle:

LuckyCharm
07-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Why does Okino go by another name?

:confused:Elizabeth Anna Okino is her name (if that's what you were referring to.) She goes by Betty like many people named Elizabeth.

One of the things I found interesting in that was that she takes much of the responsibility for her over-training and injuries upon herself because she never spoke up when she was tired or in pain. I see her point in a way, but she was a child for heaven's sake. However, it is a good message that she's trying to convey to other young athletes to keep them from making the same mistake.

Domshabfan
07-17-2012, 02:59 AM
I love how we're on thread #12 just in time for the 2012 Olympics. :). We will probably be on threads 13 and 14 by the time it's over.. :shuffle:

It means we will be complaining about the result even in 2013 and 2014 . ;)

BigB08822
07-17-2012, 03:44 AM
:confused:Elizabeth Anna Okino is her name (if that's what you were referring to.) She goes by Betty like many people named Elizabeth.

One of the things I found interesting in that was that she takes much of the responsibility for her over-training and injuries upon herself because she never spoke up when she was tired or in pain. I see her point in a way, but she was a child for heaven's sake. However, it is a good message that she's trying to convey to other young athletes to keep them from making the same mistake.

It said Elizabeth Anne aka Betty Okino. If it had said Elizabeth Anne Okino then I would have made the connection but the way it was written made it seem like a different last name. I thought maybe she was married but obviously I was just stupid.

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 03:52 AM
I've often wondered why Nastia hasn't gone by Anastasia Valeryevna Liukina myself. ;)

LuckyCharm
07-17-2012, 04:19 AM
I thought maybe she was married but obviously I was just stupid.

:lol:Don't be so hard on yourself. It's not that serious. It is awkward the way they wrote it there. I can see how it could be confusing. Incidentally, she's married to Jake DeVere. I think they both hyphenate their last name, although professionally she does sometimes go by just her first and middle name, so maybe she actually did intend for people to interpret it the way you did.

LuckyCharm
07-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I've often wondered why Nastia hasn't gone by Anastasia Valeryevna Liukina myself. ;)

I would if I were her. Much cooler than "Nastia LOOkin" IMO.

4rkidz
07-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Some stuff from Betty Okino (http://www.onedropwithinthewave.com/betty-okino.php). Interesting story about the Karolyis.

perhaps the US gymnastics folks will wake up and smell the coffee at some point.. :rolleyes:

Hedwig
07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
I didn't find the blog entry too bad either. But maybe that is because I don't know about him very much otherwise and therefore read it more - hm - objectively? Without knowing that he is obnoxious?

It is his blog so of course he can focus on himself. And I don't doubt that it is hard for a coach to coach an Olympic gymnast. It is not all glory and honour but sacrifices will have to be made by the coach as well.
And for kicking Jordyn out of the gym: If a gymnast isn't training right or is not concentrating then this is not an uncommon approach. And maybe even a sensible one so that the athlet does not injure herself.
The tone was a bit "me, me, me" but - well - it is his blog. *shrug*

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
With Geddart its many little things that just get under your skin enough to know that he is a narcissistic :blah: it's more of a timing thing, and the way he gets things across. I don't know how to explain it really. When I lived in Michigan my gym had an invitational every year called the Sand Castle Classic for the level 5's, 6's, and 7's in our area (West Michigan), and Geddart's gym always won every level almost every year with really clean looking artistic gymnasts. My coaches always rolled their eyes whenever he was brought up even though he was well-known at the time because of Katie Teft being at Olympic Trials in 96. I didn't understand why people didn't like him back then because even his level 5's, 6's, and 7's were very very good. Like Russian good, perfect splits, knees, toes, they even wore those bonnet things in their hair that Lindsey VandenEykel used to wear. I guess with him he's just known as a great coach, :scream: person to be around for very long.

Hedwig
07-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes, that is what I meant with when you are exposed to lots of little things then something he says rubs you the wrong way even if you wouldn't think twice about it when someone else would say the same. I can totally relate to that.

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I would if I were her. Much cooler than "Nastia LOOkin" IMO.

I would too, it sounds like Russian royalty. A big part of the US population have a hard time saying her name as it is though. :lol:

Coco
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
He's a grown man who wears a puka shell necklace. He's also a walking hormone - no wait, a strutting hormone.

He's a better coach than Steve Nunno, for the most part, but similarly egotistical and "interesting" to be around.