PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Gymnastics Prediction Game, anyone? :D

Pages : [1] 2

Spareoom
07-16-2012, 05:17 AM
So on a gymnastics board, I run a prediction game around Worlds where everyone makes their guesses and you get points for how many are right. At the end, the winner gets a virtual cookie. ;) Makes following the results a bit more fun, since you start pulling for your picks to get good results instead of just rooting for whoever. ;) I'm pretty sure my first reaction after the AA last year was not, "HOLY CRAP JORDYN JUST WON WORLDS YAY YAY YAY" but, "SHOOT, I just lost FIVE POINTS because Vika stumbled out of her Memmel! *&#$&(" ;)

Anyway, I'm not even sure if this is *allowed*, but if anyone is interested, I thought it might be fun to run the contest here too! :D And if you're like me and happen to be a member of both boards, you can test your luck in two contests instead of one. ;)

Here are the rules; they are super simple!

The rules are really simple. You post your predictions for the medal podium of each event, plus one alternate per podium.

5 points --- each correct medal prediction
2.5 points --- each correct top 3 prediction, but incorrect medal prediction
.5 point --- if your alternate wins a medal.

For example, in '10 this was my AA prediction:

AA:
1 Musty
2 Bross
3 Aly
Alt: Jiang Yuyuan

The actual result was 1st: Musty, 2nd: Jiang, 3rd Bross. I received 5 points for correctly predicting Musty's medal position, 2.5 points for putting Bross on the podium but in the wrong position, and .5 points for having my alternate Jiang medal, for a total of 8 points. I didn't receive any points for Aly, since she didn't make the podium.

In the case of a tie for a medal, we will follow the IOC's tiebreaker rules. They stink, but we're gonna use them anyway.

There will be three "categories", WAG predictions, MAG predictions and overall predictions for those who do both. You are free to make as many or few predictions as you like; just one of each podium per person, of course. :)

You are welcome to make your predictions until Midnight, July 29th, EST. NO editing will be allowed past this point. You do NOT need to use the "official" qualifiers in your prediction; if you think a gymnast will be subbed in or out due to injury or whatever, feel free to include them. Last year it was a bit chaotic because there was a lot of subs in the EF's and I let people change their predictions, but this year once the deadline is up, that's it. At least everyone will be equally lucky or unlucky.

Feel free to make your predictions any time between now and after prelims is done! :D Good luck, and have fun!

Karpenko
07-16-2012, 05:56 AM
I think this is a great idea and hoped we could do something like this in the other thread, is there any way we could maybe merge this thread with the other so everyone has predictions all in one place?

Spareoom
07-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Hmm. If you want you could copy my original post into yours, but I'm not sure if everyone who posted predictions would want it to be part of the game. It's up to you; whatever sounds good. :) It's meant to be fun, lol!

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 02:47 AM
No I don't mind having the extra thread I love this idea :) It sounds like a lot of fun, I just figured people would be more likely to do it if everyone put them in one place is all. Sorry if it came off a bit snarkish didn't mean to sound so bitchy! :lol:

Spareoom
07-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Oh, haha! No worries at all. :) I took no offense. :)

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 04:09 AM
All good :) I'll post mine because I cant seem to get anything done without thinking about the Olympics lately and love the excuse to do it again :cheer:

Womens Team:
1. USA
2. Russia
3. Romania
alternate-China

Womens All-Around
1. Viktoria Komova RUS
2. Gabby Douglas USA
3. Jordyn Wieber USA
alternate - Mustafina (I have Iordache in my last one I think.. I can't make up my mind)

Womens Vault
1. McKayla Maroney USA
2. Sandra Izbasa ROM
3. Oksana Chusovitina GER
alternate - Ellie Black CAN

Womens Uneven Bars
1. Aliya Mustafina RUS
2. Viktoria Komova RUS
3. Beth Tweddle GBR
alternate - Gabby Douglas USA

Womens Balance Beam
1. Larisa Iordache ROM
2. Catalina Ponor ROM
3. Kyla Ross USA
alternate (could win though, but I think she'll be tired here) Viktoria Komova RUS

Womens Floor Exercise
1. Alexandra Raisman USA
2. Larisa Iordache ROM (I think she'll be on a high after beam, not as sharp landing wise)
3. Sui Lu CHN
alternate - Victoria Moors CAN

judgejudy27
07-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Isnt Iordache's D score on floor now higher than Raisman's? If that is the case she will have to really have some bad landings to lose to Raisman, as I am sure the judges go in planning to give her a much higher E score.

Karpenko
07-17-2012, 05:48 AM
We'll see. I'm not really looking forward to that final honestly, I'm expecting people to hit about as well as in 2010.

Buzz
07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
LADIES:

Team Final:
1. Russia, 2. USA, 3. Romania, 4. China, 5. UK

All Around:
1. Mustafina, 2. Komova, 3. Douglas, 4. Wieber, 5. Iordache

Uneven Bars:
1. Komova, 2. Mustafina, 3. Quishuang, 4. Douglas, 5. Tweddle

Balance Beam:
1. Iordache, 2. Sui, 3. Mustafina, 4. Grishina, 5. Ponor

Vault:
1. Phan, 2. Maroney, 3. Mustafina, 4. Komova, 5. Quishuang

Floor Exercise:
1. Izbasa, 2. Mustafina, 3. Afanaseva, 4. Sui, 5. Mitchell

MEN:

Team Finals:
1. Japan, 2. USA, 3. Russia, 4. UK, 5. China

All Around:
1. Uchimura, 2. Orozco, 3. Belyavski, 4. Boy, 5. Purvis

Floor Exercise:
1. Kai, 2. Hypolito, 3. Leyva, 4. Kosmidis, 5. Uchimura

Pommel Horse:
1. Berki, 2. Smith, 3. Tommasone, 4. Sellathurai, 5. Haibin

Rings:
1. Zanetti, 2. Yibing, 3. Balandin, 4. Yamamuro, 5. Morandi

Vault:
1. Hak-Seon, 2. Okiguchi! 3. Ablyazin, 4. Koczi, 5. Bouhail

Paralell Bars:
1. Leyva, 2. Nguyen, 3. Uchimura, 4. Garibov, 5. Chenglong

Horizontal Bar:
1. Hambuchen, 2. Garibov, 3. Uchimura, 4. Maras, 5. Kai

danafan
07-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Sellathurai will not be in the Olympics

Buzz
07-18-2012, 06:28 PM
You mean the games haven't ven started yet and I'm losing money already?! :lol:

Karpenko
07-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Less than a week to go if you guys want to enter your predictions for this game :)

Loves_Shizuka
07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Womens team:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Romania
Alt: China

AA:
1. Wieber
2. Komova
3. Iordache
alt: Douglas

Vault:
1. Maroney
2. Iszbasa
3. Chuso
alt: Steingruber

Bars:
1. Tweddle
2. Komova
3. Mustafina
alt: Douglas

Beam:
1. Iordache
2. Ponor
3. Wieber
alt: Lu

Floor:
1. Raisman
2. Iszbasa
3. Afanasyeva
alt: Lu

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Ladies

Team
1. USA 2. Russia 3. Romania

AA
1. Komova 2. Mustafina 3. Douglas

BB
1. Ponor 2. Iordache 3. Sui Lu

UB
1. Komova 2. Mustafina 3. Tweddle

FX
1. Iordache 2. Izbasa 3. Afanasyeva

VT
1. Maroney 2. Pena 3. Chusovitina

Men

Team
1. Japan 2. USA 3. China

AA
1. Uchimura 2. Boy 3. Leyva

VT
1. Yang Hak Seon 2. Okiguchi 3. Dalton

FX
1. Uchimura 2. Zou Kai 3. Dalton

PB
1. Uchimura 2. Leyva 3. Zhang Chenglong

SR
1. Chen 2. Zanetti 3. Morandi

PH
1. Berki 2. Smith 3. Tommasone

HB
1. Zou Kai 2. Zhang Chenglong 3. Leyva

HB is gonna be boring with those two Chinese codewhores winning because they have like, 8.0 D scores courtesy of 9 million pirouettes.

I'm probably totally overestimating the US guys, but hey, the men's field is a lot less predictable and anything can happen.

olympic
07-26-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm completely out of the loop on gymnastics (I used to watch it as reverently as figure skating eons ago)

Are Russia and Romania powerhouses once again? :eek: