PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Celeste Holm

Pages : [1] 2

Wyliefan
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
At 95 (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/showbiz/celeste-holm-obit/index.html). I always liked her.

TCM is going to be run off its feet with all the tribute days they're arranging lately, but hers is going to be a good one. They've got All about Eve, High Society, Gentleman's Agreement -- even A Letter to Three Wives, though she only did the voiceover. (Hey, it was an important voiceover!)

berthesghost
07-15-2012, 05:58 PM
At 95 (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/showbiz/celeste-holm-obit/index.html). I always liked her.

TCM is going to be run off its feet with all the tribute days they're arranging lately, but hers is going to be a good one. They've got All about Eve, High Society, Gentleman's Agreement -- even A Letter to Three Wives, though she only did the voiceover. (Hey, it was an important voiceover!)Her Addie Ross stole the show in 'Letter to 3 Wives' IMHO.
I also loved her in "Come to the Stable"

Artemis@BC
07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Aww, that's sad.

So many great performances -- I just watched High Society again last night and she was one of the things that made that movie.

duane
07-15-2012, 06:25 PM
It seems the stars of the past either die too young or they last for decades on end. Both Celeste Holm and Ernest Borgnine lived to 95...gives me hope at 50-something.

Susan1
07-15-2012, 06:33 PM
When I saw her name, the first thing I thought of was Cinderella - the original t.v. musical from the 60s! She was the Queen. Lesley Anne Warren was Cinderella. (Guess this could be on the "I'm old" thread!!)

duane
07-15-2012, 07:57 PM
When I saw her name, the first thing I thought of was Cinderella - the original t.v. musical from the 60s! She was the Queen. Lesley Anne Warren was Cinderella. (Guess this could be on the "I'm old" thread!!)

"Impossible...for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage..."

Growing up, watching Cinderella was just as much a yearly treat as watching The Wizard of Oz.

Sparks
07-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Ginger Rogers was the Queen.
Celeste Holm was the Fairy Godmother.

Sparks, who knows every word of TV's Cinderella. :)

Quintuple
07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Aww, I always liked her too. Especially her DVD extras where she talks about battles with her fellow actresses.

AxelAnnie
07-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Ditto. I loved her in everything I saw her in. she seemed like duch a lady.

BTW... I have the CINDERELLA. DVD... and love watching it... having lots of grandchildren I can generally find an excuse.

skatesindreams
07-15-2012, 09:18 PM

You aren't alone!

A wonderful personal remembrance:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/celeste-holm-dead-oklahoma-349419

I will miss her; one of many actors who shaped my life.

taf2002
07-15-2012, 09:20 PM

I remember that movie...guess I'm old too. But I didn't remember anyone in it other than Lesley Ann Warren. But I always liked her...last time I remember seeing her was as Ted Danson's mother in Three Men & a Baby.

Aaron W
07-15-2012, 09:45 PM
LOVE All About Eve. She was the last of the main cast still alive.

AragornElessar
07-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Wow the last two weeks have certainly seen legends leave us. :(

Loved everything I saw her in, but the last time I saw her was in the Touched By An Angel spin off Promised Land where she played the Grandmother of the Family. I remembered thinking back then how lucky the kids in that show were to be able to be in the same cast as that lady and to have her as a tutor of acting.

What a wonderful tribute to his friend that Scott Feinberg wrote over at The Hollywood Reporter. Thanks for sharing that link w/us skatesindreams.

May she rest in peace. :(

AnnieBgood
07-16-2012, 06:14 AM
The Tender Trap and High Society were my favorites of hers. Pus Promised Land. :) So lovely.

"You see a pair of laughing eyes and suddenly you're sighing sighs...." I was singing that song, last week.

skateboy
07-16-2012, 06:39 AM
RIP, Ms. Holm.