PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Celeste Holm

Pages : 1 [2]

paskatefan
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
"Impossible...for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage..."

Growing up, watching Cinderella was just as much a yearly treat as watching The Wizard of Oz.

Ginger Rogers was the Queen.
Celeste Holm was the Fairy Godmother.

Sparks, who knows every word of TV's Cinderella. :)

Same here! RIP, Celeste.

Susan1
07-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Ginger Rogers was the Queen.
Celeste Holm was the Fairy Godmother.

Sparks, who knows every word of TV's Cinderella. :)

O.k. I'm an idiot! I knew that - along with every word of every song. My friend Shauna and I used to watch it every year.

Stuart Damon was the prince. Before he went on to soaps. Walter Pidgeon was the King.

When I was in high school, that was our fall production one year. I wasn't in it, but I was in choir so I got to work backstage.

Oh, and they had the same songs in the one with Brandy and Whoopi Goldberg in the 90s. Sang along with that one too.

paskatefan
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
A few years ago, I came across the CD for this TV version of Cinderella. I was ecstatic to find it! "Ten Minutes Ago ..."

Is there a CD/DVD recording of Julie Andrews in Cinderella (from the 1950's)?

berthesghost
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Wow, 5 husbands and doesn't get along with her kids. Good actress though.

Susan1
07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Geez, how long ago did I post about this. Ever since, I can't get "why would a fellow want a girl like her? A girl who's merely luuuuuuvely" out of my head!!! :lol:

I've even tried thinking of "The Sweetest Sounds" and "Do I Love You Because You're Wonderful" (or whatever the title of that technically is) but my brain keeps going back to the stepsisters!!! Ack.

Wyliefan
07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
A few years ago, I came across the CD for this TV version of Cinderella. I was ecstatic to find it! "Ten Minutes Ago ..."

There is a CD -- I have it. I don't know about a DVD, though.

skatesindreams
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM

DVD information:

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957 Television Production)
http://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Hammersteins-Cinderella-Television-Production/dp/B00068NVG6/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342448205&sr=1-2&keywords=rodgers+%26+hammerstein%27s+cinderel

Susan1
07-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Well, I guess I don't feel quite so old now. I didn't even know there was a 1950's version. Julie Andrews back then would have made the perfect Cinderella though.

skatesindreams
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
She was!
It was a historic LIVE broadcast, also.
There is a documentary about the production included, also.

skatingfan5
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Well, I guess I don't feel quite so old now. I didn't even know there was a 1950's version. Julie Andrews back then would have made the perfect Cinderella though.

She was!
It was a historic LIVE broadcast, also.
There is a documentary about the production included, also.I saw a broadcast of the 1950's version on PBS a couple of years ago and recorded it. Julie Andrews was quite wonderful as Cinderella.

RIP, Celeste Holm. She lived a long life and had a long career with some very memorable performances.

VALuvsMKwan
07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Just saw the "TCM Remembers" tribute to Ms. Holm - clips from "High Society", "The Tender Trap", "All About Eve" and what I believe was "Road House", starring Ida Lupino as a torch singer.

I remember the color TV version of "Cinderalla" fondly as well, with Celeste and Lesley Ann Warren singing "Impossible". Classy, talented actress (and singer).