PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: ICE DANCE ROUND 7

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

casken
07-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Out of curiosity, would you have both D/S' on the podium in place of B/A and G/G, or just one?

I would have had D&S's 1/ 2, N&K third, B&A 4th, Dom/Shabs 5th, who cares after that.

I also disagree about the depth and power of V&M's edges. IMO power is a major reason why V&M beat DelSchoes in the FD in 2008 (it certainly wasn't transitions since V&M had none that season ). As for cleanness of the edges, just look at all the level 4 footworks V&M have collected.

I already acknowledged in the last round that 2008 Worlds was DelSchoes's most conservative performance ever, which is what makes their win bittersweet. V&M absolutely outskated D&S, and I had no problem with them winning the FD under the rules of this system. Just like under this system, I accept that even a 100% DelSchoes, nor anyone else, were going to beat V&M at the Olympics. I'm looking at the best of each team, particularly if you look at their best compulsories. Don't get me wrong, V&M are exceptional skaters, and more consistent skaters, there is just something that DelSchoes do with the blade that sets them apart for me. Obviously, it's not a widely held opinion.

Plus, weren't Delschoes the first team to get level 4 for their footwork in like 2004/2005 and then the ISU completely changed the level requirements the next season?

Their 2001 OD and FD were both superb.

I agree that their OD was the best thing they ever did, and the only time ever in their career that I feel you can argue that they were *slightly* under marked. But he was absolutely pulling her through parts of that FD, and especially towards the end where it looks like she holding on for dear life in the circular footwork. Plus she screwed up the ending. The fact that they made their programs *less* difficult after that says something.

but at least Naomi was always very elegant.

She...was? :shuffle:

I do want say in defense of Denkova, her style improved a lot with Linichuk. Compare 2005 and earlier to 2007 worlds OD and FD. :kickass:

Cherub721
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I already acknowledged in the last round that 2008 Worlds was DelSchoes's most conservative performance ever, which is what makes their win bittersweet. V&M absolutely outskated D&S, and I had no problem with them winning the FD under the rules of this system. Just like under this system, I accept that even a 100% DelSchoes, nor anyone else, were going to beat V&M at the Olympics. I'm looking at the best of each team, particularly if you look at their best compulsories. Don't get me wrong, V&M are exceptional skaters, and more consistent skaters, there is just something that DelSchoes do with the blade that sets them apart for me. Obviously, it's not a widely held opinion.

I can respect that, since you're acknowledging V&M's skating skills. I took your first post as a bit more dismissive of V&M than I think it was intended to be. :) I understand how you can think DelSchoes, at certain times, were better, especially in compulsories.

V&M's CDs were already very good in 2008-10, at such a young age, and I think it's quite incredible considering they started at a time when CDs were less and less important (for example doing only 1 CD per competition whereas teams of the past had to do 2 or 3). I REALLY wish the CDs hadn't been dropped in their time, because by the time they retired, they would have improved even more, and we'll never get to see that. The SD pattern is SO NOT the same, ugh. I look at couples like D&L who had great CDs by the end of their career even though they were by no means great technicians, so I can't imagine how good V&M would've gotten by their age. So at least you got to enjoy that aspect of DelSchoes skating until their retirement. :)

DaiKozOda
07-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Since it's likely that N&K will be eliminated this round, I'll take the opportunity to post a link to one of fav performances of them:
1999 - Worlds - OD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rg6OQGds6E&feature=plcp

judgejudy27
07-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow is this ever close. Navka might survive after all.

Cherub721
07-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Wow is this ever close. Navka might survive after all.

I truly can't comprehend how posters can rally to save N&K, but not Plushy. :lol:

judgejudy27
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I truly can't comprehend how posters can rally to save N&K, but not Plushy. :lol:

I guess people think Navka was the better diva and prettier. :lol:

Macassar88
07-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Save Navka!!!
And I will make more headband photos if necessary

DORISPULASKI
07-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry to see this. N&K are one of my least favorite world champions. And I have always loved Denkova & Staviyski, especially their 2003 OD.

It's a sad day.

Pratfall
07-18-2012, 06:11 PM
N/K almost caused me to give up on ice dance.. :(

DaiKozOda
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM
For me it was the other way round, I took a break from ice-dancing after N&K left competition. lol
Anyway, since 2006 that I've been following their pro career.

shady82
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Please, N&K need to go. D&S at 2007 Worlds should beat N&K at any of the World Championships they won.

Macassar88
07-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Only way that Denkova and Staviski should even come close to Navka and Kostomarov is if this happens:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt296/Adesio_Sindarin/AlbenaDenkovaandMaximStaviskiofBulgaria_0preview.j pg

blue_idealist
07-19-2012, 04:09 AM
I haven't looked at this in a day and now Denkova and Staviyski are losing?! Ahh! :(

judgejudy27
07-19-2012, 04:52 AM
I wonder if the Navka supporters will try a harsh assault on Virtue & Moir next.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-19-2012, 05:02 AM
It wouldn't be the first time Navka/Kostomorov got held up at the expense of Denkova/Staviski.