PDA

View Full Version : Do you have DirecTV service?

Pages : 1 [2]

GarrAarghHrumph
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Do you ever get a 2-foot snowstorm? We have no problems when we get 6" or less.

Oh, yes. I live in NY State, an hour north of NYC, at the base of the Catskill Mountains. Snow is my friend.

I think it must be something about how our dish is positioned, because we don't get much snow on it that stays on it.

Rob
07-13-2012, 05:02 PM
I have it for TV only and I like it, but it is 1) expensive, 2) goes out a lot. Almost any small storm will take it out for a few minutes. We live in a suburban neighborhood with very tall trees -- I have enough southern exposure, but it breaks up quite a bit.

The good thing is that whenever we'd had major power outages due to huge storms/snow, it just pops back on with no need for service. That was not always true of Comcast - sometimes they had to come rehang the cables after the power came back on - I have waited 3 weeks for that to happen.

We did buy the insurance plan - one time our dish stopped working and they came out and replaced it for free. The downside is that it took over a week to get an appointment. Fortunately, it was not during Worlds or Olympics. Never had to clean snow out of it, but the snow/falling branches may have contributed to the dish failure.

Also, my DVR stopped working and they also replaced that for free by mail with a newer model. I once ordered a new HD DVR because I got a second HD TV - they sent me the wrong non-HD DVR. They admitted the mistake, took the DVR off my bill, sent me the right one, and didn't charge for it.

I have seen ads that they now have multi room DVRs so I am interested in that.

I have Verizon FIOS internet, and it has never gone out on its own. It did not come back on once after a major power outage, but it was because the box got damaged. They came out in a day or two and fixed it.

A.H.Black
07-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Just to clear up a few things about programming.

- Universal Sports will not be carrying any London Olympic coverage. As in 2010, they will probably have news and commentary but none of the actual sports coverage.

- Right now Universal Sports is available on Directv and on DISH. It is not available on Comcast.

- As mentioned above, Directv currently does not show MTV and the MTV family of stations - including VH1, Comedy Central, any of the Nickelodeon channels.

- DISH is having a dispute with AMC. They do not currently show any of the AMC stations.

None of the current TV providers is perfect. Choose the one that best meats your needs.

Simone411
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
- "Is Universal Sports Network available on DIRECTV?
Yes, you can find it on Channel 625. From July 27 to September 30, Universal Sports Network will available to all DIRECTV for FREE. Starting October 1, Universal Sports Network will be available as part of SPORTS PACK."

So you will be able to see the Olympics at no extra charge later this month.

This is true about it being free from July 27 to September 30. I just talked to a DirecTV customer rep about it because I already have the Sports Pack.

The only problem there would be is with DirecTV Everywhere if you don't have the Sports Pack (since Universal Sports is already part of the Sports Pack).

I was going to cancel the Sports Pack until October 1st, but I wouldn't be able to sign in at Universal Sports website to watch the Olympics using my DirecTV password and username. The DirecTV Everywhere is for the purpose of being able to watch your favorite shows (including Universal Sports) while you're away from home. In other words, you can watch online at DirecTV or at other websites depending on what TV packages you're already subscribed to.

The DirecTV rep told me that I wouldn't be able to use the DirecTV Everywhere feature at Universal Sports website if I didn't have the Sports Pack since Universal Sports is already included in the Sports Pack.

The DirecTV rep did, however, give me a 5 dollar discount for the next three months since I already have the Sports Pack. Go figure. :lol:

Just adding that the rep I talked to said that Universal Sports would be having Olympic coverage.

Simone411
07-13-2012, 08:12 PM
To verify, I just called DirecTV back. I talked to another rep that stated there would only be Olympic related coverage like news and commentary (completely the opposite from what the other rep. stated).

The rep said there would be, however, actual Olympic coverage on NBC, ESPN, and BBC America.

milanessa
07-13-2012, 08:38 PM
To verify, I just called DirecTV back. I talked to another rep that stated there would only be Olympic related coverage like news and commentary (completely the opposite from what the other rep. stated).

The rep said there would be, however, actual Olympic coverage on NBC, ESPN, and BBC America.

Looks like BBC America will have some Olympic related shows and content but no actual coverage of events.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/?s=olympics&searchsubmit=Search

A.H.Black
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Looks like BBC America will have some Olympic related shows and content but no actual coverage of events.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/?s=olympics&searchsubmit=Search
For those interested in Olympic coverage, there is a discussion of it on the Olympics Page (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83880) with the official links and press release at the beginning of the thread. Later on in the thread (about post 31) there are some links to NBC's complete schedule - including all channels, times, and events scheduled to be covered.

Simone411
07-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the information. I went to the ESPN website to find out about their schedule. Here's the TV schedule for Olympic coverage on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/schedule

skatesindreams
07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
There will be coverage of some kind 24 hrs./day for the duration of the Games!

Simone411
07-14-2012, 07:07 PM
There will be coverage of some kind 24 hrs./day for the duration of the Games!

I think it's awesome. I'm really excited about the 2012 Olympics and can't wait! :cheer2:

SpeedySucks
07-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the information. I went to the ESPN website to find out about their schedule. Here's the TV schedule for Olympic coverage on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/schedule

This is the competition schedule for the Olympics. There will be absolutely NO Olympic coverage on ESPN. All coverage will be on the NBC family of networks. ESPN can show about 2 minutes of highlights per day, and that's it.

Also, I do not believe there will be any Olympic-related coverage on Universal Sports during the Games. In 2010, they had Olympic news and updates, plus shows with journalists and the figure skating review show. They will not have any coverage at all this year.

sk8pics
07-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I had DISH for a couple of years at my old house and it was great. At my current house, they could not get a clear view of the satellites, so I had to switch to cable. My only advice is to make sure they install the satellite dish(es) low enough that you can reach them relatively easily. When I moved and cancelled my service, I had to return a small piece off of each dish. They never do come back to get the dishes, and as long as I was going to continue to subscribe at my new house, they didn't care about these pieces, it was only when I cancelled that they wanted the pieces back. Otherwise they would have charged me a couple hundred dollars.