PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's Final Four

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

berthesghost
07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Stephane should go.

A lovely skater, but the axel technique is a killer for me, at this point.My thoughts exactly. I love me some Stephane, but oy, that waxel.

And as much as I'd rather poke my own eyes out with a pencil than watch Plushy skate, I just can't ever associate him with the word "weak". His artistry is aggressively bad. Like reach right up to the nosebleed seats and slap you across the face bad. I've seen him live many times, but euros in malmo was insane. There were a lot of Russians in the audience and you'd have thought the Beetles had just got off a plane, or Elvis Presley was gyrating his hips in tight leather pants the way they were swooning and screaming. He's like Justin Beiber or Katy Perry. As tacky and awful as they are, it's silly to try and pass them off as uncharasmatic or unpopular.

Glacier cat
07-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Only I can understand is that there are at least 92 blinds or racists :slinkaway. Who, in the whole world (except FSU), think Plushenko is weaker than Takahashi or Lambiel? :confused: I say again, they are SILLY :cool:

DaiKozOda
07-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Take it as a poll done for fun during the off season. Everybody can give their opinions without stress.

shady82
07-14-2012, 01:07 AM
I think everyone has been judging Plushenko's artistry way too much from his recent seasons. His programs, starting from 2005, have just been watered down and incoherent. Look back at his programs from 2001-2004 more, and you might have a different option. I suggest people watch his 2001 Worlds programs again, for example.

Kasey
07-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Only I can understand is that there are at least 92 blinds or racists :slinkaway.

Racist? Against a generic white man? Uh, yeah. Because, the other Russian skater in this poll is currently running away with it, and the other candidates are Swiss and Japanese. Seems pretty culturally diverse to me, but of course, I'm one of those North American morons. Go pop a Prozac (or 12) and get a grip, as well as getting the idea that this is an unscientific, off-season poll on a message board site. It's not like ANY of the skaters involved in any of these polls will ever know the results, it's not like the results mean ANYTHING in terms of their careers, future employability, whatever and etc. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and the number is up to 94 now. You can have a shot or two with the Prozac at this point.

Cherub721
07-14-2012, 01:34 AM
I like all these guys, so I'm glad that they're the final 4. Haven't voted yet, but leaning towards Lambiel.

Plush is so deserving of top 2, and is not necessarily out of it yet, so I wish my fellow Plush fans would post reasoned arguments like DaiKozOda did earlier in the thread. You all could actually still convince people to keep him in instead of posting wacked out theories and annoying even more people into voting him out, you know. Actually, he has done well to get to this point, especially when you consider how people here were literally rooting for Anyone But Plush in Vancouver. You can't say it's national bias since this board is mostly North American and he outlasted all NA skaters. I think it's more about people not liking his personality/his programs, which is as valid a reason to vote him out as any other.

What fascinates me is how close it is between Takahashi and Lambiel. Lambiel was pulling ahead but they're tied again now.

ChelleC
07-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I think everyone has been judging Plushenko's artistry way too much from his recent seasons. His programs, starting from 2005, have just been watered down and incoherent. Look back at his programs from 2001-2004 more, and you might have a different option. I suggest people watch his 2001 Worlds programs again, for example.

IMO, his programs have always been incoherent. The words Plushenko and artistry should not be in the same sentence, unless by artistry you mean one big hot mess.

Marco
07-14-2012, 04:10 AM
Let me try to convince some of you to save Plushenko in this round lol

In what concerns big medals:
3 Olympic medals - One gold, two silvers;
5 medals at worlds - 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze;
10 medals at Euros - 7 golds, 3 silvers;
7 medals at GPF - 4 golds, 2 silvers, 1 bronze;

First ever skater to:
land a quadruple toe-loop, triple toe-loop, double loop combination;
land a quadruple toe-loop, triple toe-loop, triple loop combination;

He is one of the few guys to have ever done a biellmann spin.
He was just 15 or 16 (can't remember exactly) when he received his first 6.0, making him the youngest guy ever to have been awarded with a perfect score.

If Plushenko hadn't started to challenge Yagudin so early the latter probably hadn't left Mishin to go to Tarasova. Now, that would have been a tragedy. :D If Plushenko hadn't started to raise the technical content in jumps, Yagudin probably hadn't tried so much as well. :D
They pushed each other.

Plushenko has a style of his own. He gave us stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGZXEs4dIE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WszjpwnA1z4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTyuR_AopM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k-yMlGvlW0

He was also the first to do this (http://media.mwcradio.com/mimesis/2010-02/19/2010-02-19T081028Z_01_BTRE61I0MPR00_RTROPTP_3_SPORTS-US-OLYMPICS-FIGURE-SKATING-PLUSHENKO_JPG_475x310_q85.jpg).

Marco
07-14-2012, 04:12 AM
I'm not much of a Plushenko fan, but him leaving NOW would be even sadder than Elvis Stojko getting voted out when he did.

Some vote based on accomplishments, some vote based on actual skating or specific preference. If all there is to do is count medals then we really don't need a poll do we? ;)

flipforsynchro
07-14-2012, 04:23 AM
I never knew how much some people were obsessed with artistry.

reflect
07-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Only I can understand is that there are at least 92 blinds or racists :slinkaway. Who, in the whole world (except FSU), think Plushenko is weaker than Takahashi or Lambiel? :confused: I say again, they are SILLY :cool:

If you are persuasive or powerful enough, you may change people's opinion. If you are unable to change, you have to take it. If you cannot take, you may leave. If you donot want to leave, you can keep silence and endure. If you do not want to be silent, you can claim your reasoned and logic arguement and let others do their own judgement. If you can not do all the above, you can also keep going to shout out your racism and silly criticism and let others laugh at your anger and incapable.

Welcome to FSU and find out the truth!!!

yaya124
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Welcome to FSU and find out the truth!!!

Of course claiming people racist or blind is rude and unfair, but what truth you are talking here? That Plushenko is not artistry? He is an ugly skater makes people vomit or leave for bathroom? He is overrated and robbed other's gold? Or he has a bad personality that even if he accomplished so much, people just hates him because he is an arrogant ass?

The only truth one can found here from this forum is that certain style is more appreciated than others. People interpret other's behavior differently. Therefore, nobody's opinion should be taken as a statement reflecting the reality, argue whatever you want and live with it.

Plushenko will go out this round which he does not deserve:

He is a very passionate skater and contribute to this sports more than the other three skaters left. He is the first person to jump 432, 433, 3A-1/2Lo-3F, etc. He is very innovative about jumps and dare to use them in competitions (now due to the age and injury he cannot be as fierce as when he was young, which is a pity).

You can argue that you agree that he is a great jumper, but lack of artistry. No, if jumps are everything, he will loose to Geobel or Chinese skaters since those skaters jumps more quads in their programs. To some people he is referred as Quad king. That is not true, he can consistently land Quads (often in combination), but his skating is never all about Quad. He just thinks that Quads are necessary for man's skating, and as a top level skater, you should be able to perform Quads.

To some people some of his programs were not good or not well skated, they were very true statements, I also do not like some of his programs or certain performances. But you can find the same thing from other skaters too. Some bad skates do not mean that he is indeed lack of artistry.

He is a very elegant skater on ice and has amazing artistry. His earlier programs from 2001 to 2005 were very beautiful. I am not a big fan of his competitive program in 2006, but GALA performance of Tosca fantasy was amazing. And although his programs from 09-10 season are not as good, he is improving himself, and from what I read, he is on the right track.

And many skaters are inspired by him and regarded him as their idol. I also read and heard from many people that his skating makes them want to skate, because he makes it seems so easy, so elegant, and so fun.

His competitive programs maybe too conservative in style, comparing to his various types of GALA numbers, but I would like to think he is capable of performing programs in different styles and can do a brilliant job.

In shows he is playing with audience which to certain people that he is not as artistry as others (I sometime also feel that way if not seeing him live). He is just being an entertainer, not that he cannot perform serious art numbers. He is very energetic and good at reflect his emotion dramatically on ice, probably too dramatic to make some people feel uncomfortable.

Last about his personality: he is a very nice person, funny and kind (my friends met him in person more than once). His English is not very good, so sometimes his statements seems rude to others. He is very serious about his job, so do not count on him to be very warm to you during the competition. That is not arrogant, that is being professional. He is very confident, because he is very good at what he does and he knows it. That is also not arrogant. As a matter of fact, he praised a lot skaters and holds high respect to his opponents. He refers to his second place in this year's EC after SP as a present from his opponents because they did not deliver. And he said the first place for Artur is well deserved. 09 RN he openly admitted that his SP mark was overrated, which gain respect from Voronov who admits the final result after the LP is correct.

Conclusion, if one does not count personal taste, which i know cannot be the case so the following statements are just for fun:

Plushenko is better than Yagudin because of his innovation of the jumps which shapes man FS a bit;

Plushenko often receiving standing ovation from his performances, so his style is well accepted by the audience, which makes him equally good in artistry department as the other three (personally I prefer him over the other three, but that is just me);

So in my book, Plushenko should be the strongest one, but apparently he will be out in this round. :lol:

reflect
07-14-2012, 08:15 AM
entire post

Sorry what you wrote is too long for me to roll down the screen:P.

Truth is this is FSU where people enjoying plushy is the minority(maybe there are lots of people enjoying him somewhere else, but obviously not here); is racism and silly claim will be laugh at (at least I am laughing like this :lol:); is no matter how long you wrote and how many data/fact/opinion you list, this is a poll which can be based on personal taste and Mr. P will probably be voted out this round.:lol:

Cheylana
07-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I know it's not just about the medals, but this is a sport, is it not? And I think an athlete's ability to deliver under pressure is highly relevant. Plush totally ate Lambiel and Takahashi's lunch throughout their careers, there's no way he deserves to go before those two.

reflect
07-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I know it's not just about the medals, but this is a sport, is it not? And I think an athlete's ability to deliver under pressure is highly relevant. Plush totally ate Lambiel and Takahashi's lunch throughout their careers, there's no way he deserves to go before those two.

Kulik won more against Yagudin, why Kulik went out so earlier? No, I am not saying kulik should stay. But the reason of winning against others is not good enough.

And Takahashi's career hasn't finished yet;)