PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

smileyskate
07-14-2012, 03:29 AM
And I thought I was the only one who could not use a cell phone at home!
Mine sometimes rings and sometimes it doesn't...both at home and work.

Susan1, another idea is to take the best deal you read from these awesome posts or one of the suggested review sites and call/go in to the other carriers near you to see if they can beat it (or come close enough for your liking). I got an extra 400 minutes free for just one year by mentioning something about another deal. I have never done it but some carriers may have the type of website where you can email or livechat with a rep. If you can't give anyone your CC #, they might agree to get the paperwork to you (email/fax/mail) for you to fill out and mail back in.

Nice to hear there isn't someone else out there who is walking or inline skating while texting!

nerdycool
07-14-2012, 07:22 AM
For those who have problems getting reception, even within a fully-covered area, try updating your phone software to look for new towers. Verizon, for instance, every 3 months or so, you're supposed to dial *228 and then select option 2. It's free, and it programs your phone to use the closest towers to you, which there may be newer, closer ones than the ones previously programmed in your phone.

I'm sure other cell companies have similar processes, I just didn't look them up. :)

milanessa
07-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I never knew that - thanks. I'll try it (from the end of my driveway :lol:) later today.

Lizziebeth
07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I never knew that - thanks. I'll try it (from the end of my driveway :lol:) later today.

I'll try too. I have not heard of a new tower in several years. (I live in Booneyville, so a new tower would probably be mentioned in the local paper!)

WindSpirit
07-14-2012, 02:30 PM
I dumped Sprint for Straight Talk 2 years ago and I haven't looked back. I pay $45 a month (everything unlimited). There's no plan. :cheer2: I usually pay 3 months in advance and for that I get a discount.

No problem whatsoever with calls or texts. I think they use Verizon towers, Sprint's network for Androids (although mine still works on Verizon if I'm not mistaken). But who cares, I've never had a dropped call and even though it's not as fast as the 4G network would be, the Internet works fine, too. Of course no "unlimited" data is really unlimited.

They have a cheaper option, 1000 minutes and 1000 text messages and some data, not sure how much, for $30. I got the more expensive one because you need that one if you want a smartphone.

Lately they've made it an option that you can bring your own phone, so you could make even an iPhone work, I guess (does it have a SIM card?)

Before I went with Straight Talk, I read their customer service sucked, that you could never get a live person on the phone, etc. Not in my experience. I always get connected rather fast, and twice was offered a different phone number (so you don't have to go through the hoops every time you call) without even asking. Each person I talked to was nice and professional and helpful. Every time I called the issue was on my side (lost a phone; my credit card was blocked by the credit card company because someone had stolen the number; wanted to change the phone number, which BTW you can do for free 3 times a year and it's instantaneous) I never had to call them because of the service.

I'm a happy customer.

KCC
07-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I also do not have cell service at home. Several neighbors have a device that plugs into their computer to allow their Verizon phones to work around their houses, but only as far as their wireless computer devices. I use TracFone for trips/going downtown and am very happy since I pay only for what I need.

cruisin
07-14-2012, 03:23 PM
This. I have Verizon and it does not work inside my house. No one's cell phone works in my house except to occasionally ring but then you can't answer on it. I have to go to the end of my driveway to use it which I don't do. :lol: Love my land line. The Verizon map shows complete coverage in my area, even when I zoom into my actual house. If my home was older I'd think it was haunted. :eek:

It works everywhere else, though.

I also have Verizon and my cell phone does work in my house. However, I prefer to use my land line in the house. Mostly because I leave my cell phone either in my purse or charging next to my purse (I'd always forget it if it were not right there when I leave the house :)). When I'm home I don't hear my cell ring, I do hear the land line. Plus, with all of the info about health issues with too much cell use, the land line is probably safer.

As far as cheap plans, fairly soon everything will, as we currently know it, change. Most carriers will be going to a data based plan. From what I've read Verizon, AT&T, etc. will be unlimited free talk and text, but will charge for data packages. The packages will cover multiple devices - phones, tablets, laptops. If you are a current user, your plan will not change - yet. Until you upgrade your phone, you can choose to keep what you have. On the surface the newer plans could be cheaper, if you are not using a lot of data time, but...

Karina1974
07-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Of course no "unlimited" data is really unlimited.

Of course it is. Sprint doesn't cap or tier their plans (I just upgraded to Everything Data 450) but if someone wants to be a moron and tether their phone, which Sprint doesn't allow for a phone plan as opposed to using a Mobile Broadband plan, than they deserve to get their plan cut off. I was reading the message boards on Sprint last week and someone was complaining about Sprint had contacted him about his data usage. He was down loading stuff for for his computer like drivers... he admited going from 420Mb/month to 80Gb/month - that's a TAD bit excessive. It even says in Sprint's terms of service that any data HAS TO be used on the phone. Every single person who responded called him a liar for claiming that he doesn't tether.

cruisin
07-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I currently have unlimited data. However, as I explained, that will change when i get a new phone. The carriers will no longer be charging for voice/text, all of the charges will be data based and there will be stepped plans, like there currently are for voice plans.

Susan1
07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
OMG - went to the Verizon store in the only rain we had all day Saturday. Found out my cousin has to release my phone number from his contract first before I can get it individually. I'm sure he'll get right on that.

KikiSashaFan
07-15-2012, 10:57 PM
So normally I might only have five or six calls in a year, but 60 text messages.

Thank God for unlimited messaging plans, because 60 wouldn't even cover me for day...or hour...:lol:

A.H.Black
07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
OMG - went to the Verizon store in the only rain we had all day Saturday. Found out my cousin has to release my phone number from his contract first before I can get it individually. I'm sure he'll get right on that.

Is that a little bit of skepticism I'm reading into your post?

Susan1
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Back to this again - so, he is going to switch to the Verizon share everything or whatever it is called, but I would have to BUY a smart phone and pay $40 instead of $15 to stay with "the family". Uh, no thanks. Now I'm worried if I will be able to get an individual plan on my old "not smart" phone. I have tried the online "help" to ask this, but they don't really answer my question. I guess I'll have to go to the store again. Oh, it's a dusty rose Motorola Razr that I have had since 2008 - if anyone has any idea if it's o.k. That's the only reason I was staying with Verizon, so I wouldn't have to give up my pretty phone.

Susan1
07-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Well, no one has responded to my last post, but I thought I would update you anyway...........

My cousin Tim emailed me yesterday that he released my phone number (change in Assumption of Liability) and he would appreciate it if I would get it changed over to an individual plan as soon as possible.

So, I went to the store this morning (after being cut off from the 800 number AGAIN, which turned out fine anyway). They were in the process of looking up the information and discovered that a $60 termination fee would be put on my cousin's account. Not my problem, mind you, because my phone was no longer on the account. I laughed, and wondered if Tim knew this. They said they couldn't transfer my number/phone without charging him and he had to approve it.

So, they called him using my phone since his number was in it. He had a fit, asked to speak to a manager, argued with the manager for about 10 minutes. The manager said they could not waive a termination fee because he extended the contract for all the phones on his family plan at some point! Still nothing to do with me. The manager said he would give him a $20 credit that he was not supposed to do and that it would be coming out of his budget. I'm just standing there. Turns out the contract is up August 20!!!! Less than a month away anyway. Tim's a salesman himself, so I'm surprised he didn't get them to give him a $200 credit!!!

Tim has them get me on the phone (uh, my phone) and asks if I want to split the $60 termination fee with him so I can get my new plan. Hello? He's terminating me from his family plan, I've done all research and legwork and wants me to help him pay for it? I said I didn't think so. The nerve!! So, I will be terminated on August 21 and I will have to go back to the store AGAIN and get my plan on my phone (which I can keep) with my same phone number. Geez Louise.

Tesla
07-29-2012, 03:11 AM
Um, not to be a bytch, but your cousin was nice enough to have you on his plan and it seems to be Abigail hassle to release the number, which he is going through because you want to keep the number. Frankly, if it were me, I'd tell you to get a new number.