PDA

View Full Version : Nielsen's Top 20 News Events

Pages : 1 [2]

Sparks
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
The moon landings were 1969-1972, how many people remember 40-43 years ago?

(Raises hand) :P
I still have a picture taken on that day.

skatingfan5
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
(Raises hand) :P
I still have a picture taken on that day.Well I certainly remember it as well. But as has been already said numerous times, the survey included a wide range of ages. People who were born 20 years after the Eagle touched down on the moon wouldn't have any memory of that event -- and it would be past history and unexceptional for most of them, no some momentous "giant step for mankind."

julieann
07-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Katrina isn't on my list as I was living it, not watching it on TV.

I think that's the problem with the story and the list, they are confusing the two-what are the biggest news stories and what were the most watched. The death of WH over men walking on the moon? Give me a break. I can understand why Kennedy's death wouldn't have made the list. It was a big news story but not many saw it on TV like 9-11. The OJ verdict...everyone I knew was glued to their TV and if they weren't around one, they found one somewhere. The Oklahoma City bombing was a huge new story but I wasn't glued to my TV like a royal wedding or funeral because it wasn't a planned event. When the space shuttle took off we were watching to see history being made, the disaster was a horrific coincidence.

Grannyfan
07-13-2012, 12:57 AM
The moon landings were 1969-1972, how many people remember 40-43 years ago?

We're not all dead yet. :)

Grannyfan
07-13-2012, 01:11 AM
I can understand why Kennedy's death wouldn't have made the list. It was a big news story but not many saw it on TV like 9-11.

But it WAS like 9/11. Of course we didn't see the actual assassination, but the aftermath had everyone glued to the TV for days, at least until after the funeral. Remember, there were no cable or satellite channels. We had three networks; nothing else was on. As far as impact, this event is generally spoken of as the one that changed the way news is reported and followed on TV in this country.

JFK vs. 9/11: it's a tie in my book.

Sparks
07-13-2012, 01:26 AM
But it WAS like 9/11. Of course we didn't see the actual assassination, but the aftermath had everyone glued to the TV for days, at least until after the funeral. Remember, there were no cable or satellite channels. We had three networks; nothing else was on. As far as impact, this event is generally spoken of as the one that changed the way news is reported and followed on TV in this country.

...and many of us saw Jack Ruby kill Oswald on live tv.

julieann
07-13-2012, 01:28 AM

That's my point. It wasn't until he was shot that the news broke. Most of America wasn't watching the parade on TV or even knew what happened until the new broke in and said he was shot. If it's TV moment's it should been something people actually saw on TV like the moon landing or 9-11. Not just new coverage of a shocking story.

But on the morning of 9-11 there was already live coverage before the second plane hit on live TV. There is a big difference between watching news as it happens and watching news after the fact. It's much more impact full.

There is also a big difference in having news people are sick of being crammed down their throats, like Casey Anthony. I was curious what the verdict was but not to the extent the media assumed I was.