PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question: How Do I....

Flatfoote
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Leaving the title open so others might use this thread for their questions too.

My question, how do I attach my tv to the laptop and have it be a separate independant monitor to what I am lookiing at on the computer itself?

Let me explain:

I am connecting my laptop to the HDTV via a 15 pin connector/cable. I understand that is known as a VGA connector, right? Oh, and I'm using Windows 7 version.

I want to watch a live stream event on the TV, and be able to still enter a chat room on the PC. Right now I have to switch back and forth between tabs. The live stream is better in full screen mode, so I have to exit out of full screen in order to get to the tab to switch to chat. It's not only tedious, it means when I'm in one screen I'm missing out on what's going on in the other one.

I understand there is some way to split your display so you have two "monitors." The TV would be one monitor, and the laptop the other.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I've tinkered around in the Screen Resolution settings, where there is a split monitor looking thing, but I can't figure out what I'm doing. I do what looks like something I should be doing, but nothing happens.

And when I say step by step, I mean, please treat me like I'm a complete idiot. Because, in this instance, I really am!

Oh, and sound-wise, I need the sound from the live stream to be what plays. I could care less about sounds from the chat room.

Also, please let me know how to get back out of that setting when I'm done, so I can go back to having just the monitor on my laptop like normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.