PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: ICE DANCE ROUND 6

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

missysays
07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Davis & White were never a dominant team like Navka & Kostomarov. All the others on the poll except for Davis & White were the dominant team for a period.

I think this is a difficult judgement to make right now since Davis & White are still in the middle of their competitive careers while Navka & Kostomarov have already retired and you can see the full run of their competitive track record.

One argument I would make is that I think that Davis & White may have a larger impact on the sport in general than Navka & Kostomarov. N/K didn't really influence their fellow competitors in the long run on the technical or artistic sides. N/K were very polished and aggressive competitors. Whereas, I feel that on the technical side that D/W have really pushed their competitors and influenced a new generation of skaters that have come up after them. I see many of the competitors pushing the technical difficulty and trying to keep up with the technical pace that D/W have set. D/W still have some work to do in terms of upping the ante on the artistic side of their skating but as technicians and athletes they're at a very high level.

Don't get me wrong I don't think D/W are gamechangers in the way that Torvill and Dean were or as well rounded and legendary as G/P, A/P, and K/P but I think they have had an impact on the sport that will be felt longer than N/K's impact on the sport.

pani
07-10-2012, 08:28 PM
O, so close fight between N-K and D-W....

chipso1
07-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Denkova & Staviyski.

Yazmeen
07-11-2012, 12:19 AM
LOL! I'm with ya!

Add me here!

Cherub721
07-11-2012, 03:14 AM
In D&W's favor, they were the first to get all level 4s and they did it their first year senior. I have a feeling dance was becoming more technical, though, with or without D&W, once the old timers like Navka and Grushina retired. But they were the first so they get credit.

I do give N&K some credit for having to adapt to a completely new system, especially since Navka had been competing in senior ice dance since 1991! They also had better CDs than D&W, though with the CDs being dropped, we'll never know how much D&W would have improved. Navka was also the only ice dancer to win the Olympic gold (or any medal, afaik) after having a child, if that counts for anything. I must say though, their contemporaries, like DenSta, did a much better job adapting to the new system (probably because they were pushing the level technically under 6.0).

I think I actually like D&W's best dances (Die Fledermaus and S&D) more than N&K's, but I generally liked N&K more, and they had a better career and the polish that I value, so I voted off D&W.

Actually I would've had N&K out before L&A and maybe even FP&M, so I'm surprised they're still here, and I thought D&W would win this poll since they are the most popular current couple.

pani
07-11-2012, 09:30 AM
In D&W's favor, they were the first to get all level 4s and they did it their first year senior. I have a feeling dance was becoming more technical, though, with or without D&W, once the old timers like Navka and Grushina retired. But they were the first so they get credit.

I thought it was V-M, who get all levels for at 2007 WCh. But i was wrong :D
D-W get all levels 4 at 2007 WCh, right?
I think N-K had sp many votes againsy them only becasue D-W are americans.

kwanette
07-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I thought it was V-M, who get all levels for at 2007 WCh. But i was wrong :D
D-W get all levels 4 at 2007 WCh, right?
I think N-K had sp many votes againsy them only becasue D-W are americans.

Re: last sentence. I couldn't stand N/K long before I had ever heard of D/W and I am no D/W uber.

lauravvv
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Davis/White too. Probably it will look different in two years (or probably not). But if I sum up their accomplishments, abilities, programs and range now, they seem a bit weaker than Navka/Kostomarov and and also Denkova/Staviski, Virtue/Moir. With others yet (like G/P, A/P and K/O), the difference is even more prominent.

Proustable
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
D/W were the first team to get all levell fours for their FD. They did so at NHK 2006.

V/M were the first team to get all the level fours in both the OD and FD. They did so at Worlds 2007.

pani
07-11-2012, 11:39 AM
D/W were the first team to get all levell fours for their FD. They did so at NHK 2006.

V/M were the first team to get all the level fours in both the OD and FD. They did so at Worlds 2007.

Thanks! :)

shady82
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm really surprised N&K are now ahead of the polls, though I'm hardly a fan with them.

I don't think D&W are at the level with the other teams here yet, although they certainly have the potential to improve in the next two years. I hope that D&W and V&M will really both push themselves in the coming two years, so we have a great rivalry ala G&P and K&O. These two teams are certainly talented enough for it.

gingercrush
07-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Bleh can we get rid of Anissina & Peizeret before Virtue & Moir please. Their skating was gimmicky.

judgejudy27
07-12-2012, 01:15 AM
I think Virtue & Moir should outstay Annisina & Peizerat who they were technically stronger then, but based on the voting so far I think V&M will be fighting hard to outlast Denkova & Stayviski.

DaiKozOda
07-12-2012, 01:31 AM
I guess that for this round I'll have to commit to "Save Navka and Kostomarov" campaign. :D

This is one of my all time fav ODs. Awesome program with lots of style and sophistication. (And I love how they skate like a man and a woman rather then a couple of kids).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTu6UA3bKto&feature=relmfu

Pink Panther is unforgettable. Great flow over the ice and good balance between technique and artistic impression. Sexy + cool + bits of humour = winner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRztWapOdBs&feature=relmfu

Super OD at the 05 Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsoZxXcHMDI&feature=plcp

Their OD from 99 Worlds was just stunning. Unfortunately I couldn't find a video on youtube. Hope others can remember it as well. It was skated to a Brian Adams song.

Another performance of them that I love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RtKTON8G1Y&feature=related

Hell, this piece of practice is ten times more interesting than most of the skating we're getting nowdays. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iis4PWYev_s&feature=related

pani
07-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Save Navka! :scream: